View Full Version : How effective is it to dose into your skimmer?

Ed Hahn
07-29-2006, 01:10 PM
People dosing their skimmers with additives what is your oppinion and why? I know you want to get rid of excess CO2 but how does this work?

07-29-2006, 02:16 PM
Some additives, the skimmer will just suck them out... The only product I dose to skimmer, is my Ca reactor effluent, so as to raise pH, by pulling co2.

07-29-2006, 04:37 PM
i think it would skim out most of the additives..IMO....it already skims out elements that you need, it seems like this way would just make it easier to skim out of the tank

07-30-2006, 01:28 AM
I know you want to get rid of excess CO2 but how does this work?

I don't think you want to dive into that Ed. It revolves around partial pressure and gas law, the concentration in the atm and in water. In short, in normal air, CO2 out O2 in. :D

The skimmer will take out a little of very thing even salt. Most of the things removed will be molecules that are hydrophobic, as a skimmer works on hydrophobic action, aka, foam fractionating.

In a few weeks Randy (his next article, so he tells me) will have a new article on how skimmers work. In the mean time here is an old one.

Protein Skimming: How It Works

I forgot, I think it is a bad idea to dose skimmers with sup's or any additive. Biggest reason, a skimmer is pretty much a function of suface tension and it does not take much to screw it up, meaning to much or to little.

07-30-2006, 12:10 PM
yeah, what he said!!!! lol