PDA

View Full Version : Skimmers

reedman
04-12-2004, 01:49 PM
There are so many choices out there, how about a thread on the different types, how they work, what makes them more/less efficient, How they can be plumbed, etc.

Not necessarily throwing out brand names, but types (i.e. becket, FSA, HSA, etc.)

Personal experiences with skimmers that worked great...or didn't work well at all.

Thanks,
-Reed

Macbeth417
04-12-2004, 09:22 PM
Great idea REED, however...

I think Mike tackled that one alread:
http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=73

; )

-Erik

NaH2O
04-12-2004, 10:50 PM
Hey Reed, you must have been reading my mind.

Erik, awesome link...some of the articles are links to a site that is under construction (I believe that's the case).

Here is one article from the above link that I found helpful in understanding protein skimmers: Skimming Basics 101: Understanding Your Skimmer by Frank Marini, Ph.D. (http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-06/fm/feature/index.htm)

I feel that skimming is an important proponent of overall tank health. IMO, without an efficient skimmer, you may have issues with your tank that could be overcome. Which skimmers have proved to be problematic and why (if you have an idea)?

reedman
04-12-2004, 11:42 PM
Nice. I forget that we have the resource links here. I'll wade through that on my next insomnia case :) Thanks for all the links.

Feedback from folks on what does and doesn't work well is always good though. Also, unconventional ways of plumbing a skimmer in (i.e. when you don't have , and don't want, a sump but want a larger skimmer than is allotted by the usual HOT skimmers.

Tough to find info on how to plumb a skimmer when you don't have a sump.

-Reed

big t
04-13-2004, 12:05 AM
Reed, why don't you get a sump?

reedman
04-13-2004, 09:14 AM
Hey Tom. Glass tank. Can't/won't drill it myself and don't have a convienient way to take the tank down again to get it drilled. I won't take the risk of a flood with the overflow box. Plus I like the sealed package feeling of just a tank. The only way I get a flood is if the tank breaks.

When I am ready for a new tank I will go with a reef-ready, but until then it's sumpless for me.

fishermann
04-16-2004, 12:30 AM
how would you get a flood with a overflow box? If thr pump shuts down the water drains back into your sump and if the outlet from your pump is just below the water surface in the tank an inch or so that is all the water that well drain back into your sump which amounts to raising my sump level a couple inches.

NUGIO
04-16-2004, 02:27 AM
Only way I can think of is if something large clogs the U tube.

reedman
04-16-2004, 09:25 AM
Search for overflows and you'll find plenty of people with stories about wet carpet and dead corals. On top of that, when the power comes back on if you don't maintain syphon you pump all of your sump water into the tank...Flood. On top of that I travel occasionally and it's not for a few days...it's more like a week or 2 and I don't need to worry about this type of problem on a trip.

I'm sure I am just paranoid about this, but my tank is doing quite well (after almost 3 years) without a sump. I only want a way to hook a good quality, high capacity skimmer up without a sump. Eventually I will get a different tank that is reef ready, but until then I thought I would inquire with the vast knowledge that is the WEB.

Thanks,
-Reed

fishermann
04-16-2004, 09:36 AM
I have never had a siphon break using j tubes, i have heard about it happening with cpr's but not j tubes if the unit is quality like a lifereef one, which is what i have always used. If you are asking about a hang on skimmer the best one out there is probably the Remora by Aqua C, I had one before i went to sumps on my 75 and it worked great and is trouble free and no adjustments needed, just hang and skim away. Get the mag drive pump and the box for surface skimming. I still have it in the sump on my 60 gal as i went to a euro reef skimmer in the sump on the 75.

reedman
04-16-2004, 09:57 AM
Thanks fishermann,

I am thinking more of doing a sump above my tank for the skimmer. Alternatively, I may build my own skimmer similar to the Lifereef hang-on type.

Just don't like the idea of an overflow box. Just me I guess, plus $100 for an overflow box to me is outrageous. I know you get what you pay for, but that is a bit extreme in my opinion.