PDA

View Full Version : What would be your Ideal Meeting?

Ed Hahn
06-23-2004, 12:38 PM
What do you look for in a Meeting beside great people sharing this Hobby?;)

Ed Hahn
06-23-2004, 01:00 PM
A few people want to organize a extra Large REEF /Saltwater Meeting. We are trying to do something in mid August. We want to drag everyone out of the wood work. Tri-cities is centrally located. We want to take advantage of that if possible.

Witfull
06-23-2004, 01:10 PM
open bar!!

Wolfesbane
06-23-2004, 01:36 PM
Frag swap/sale!

~ Steve

Fijikid
06-23-2004, 02:34 PM
Bring anything "Reef related" to sell/ trade or giveaway

CarlaW
06-23-2004, 03:52 PM
Frags and some kind of alcohol related beverage:D

flugelnuss
06-23-2004, 06:00 PM
I don't really have any friends into the hobby, except my fiance. But I wouldn't mind meeting more of you and learning as much as possible. I just need someone or someones to take me under their wing and teach me! I stil have a lot of questions, after only 6 months into marine, and I am so introverted that I hardly ever ask enough questions at the LFS. Plus, some of the LFS employees over in Seattle just aren't my type of people. It's tough! Will somebody be my friend? :)

Jeff

Ed Hahn
06-23-2004, 06:10 PM
Wow, Keep em coming! I am writing this down. I am sure we could round up some frags. A few of us in Tri-cities are seriously thinking of doing this. This is the chance to meet the person you have been talking to on here. The message has been sent out down here in the Tri-cities. We would love to have everyone together for a relaxing time. I have feedback about one person wanting to open up his house which is close to the columbia river. Maybe we all could do a little roasting Hot Dogs, marshmellows along the river, water skiing if we can get it organized. You can check out the Midcolumbia Saltwater forum in here to learn what we are trying to put together.

Ed Hahn
06-23-2004, 06:24 PM
Jeff,
You got lots of people wanting to talk about this hobby! The window is open. Each person on here has nothing to gain but friendship and the gift of sharing this hobby. I do not know as much as those on here. I am learning. If you want to learn which mistakes I have made you can pm me anytime. I will tell you what has worked for me. You can never have too many friends.
Welcome Aboard Jeff!
ED

NaH2O
06-23-2004, 06:41 PM
Hey Ed, my take on this - the type of meeting you want to have will dictate what you will do....if you want it to be a get-together of people - getting together to socialize and meet each other, then frag swap is a good idea, maybe have a topic about coral placement or something to go along with the swap. If you want it to be more than a get-together...then maybe have a topic on easy DIY projects (fluidized reactors, sumps, etc) You wouldn't necessarily have to build them there, but talk about how they were done. This was just an example...you could organize any type of speaker/organized topic.

Llarian
06-23-2004, 08:22 PM
I've found my previous hobby-based meetings (cars in this case), the best and probably more informational were the ones with no topic, just a social.

BBQs, or something of that nature were people can meet face to face and talk about a subject they enjoy, and there will be a ton of information shared no matter what you plan, its the nature of people who like to geek about something they enjoy.

Just setting up a time and place always seems to go a long way.

-Dylan

CarlaW
06-23-2004, 08:32 PM
At something like this, you always seem to cover every subject under the sun anyways. It's always been my feeling that the less structured the " meeting" is,more conversation takes place. JMHO

I'll show up for sure, just get me the dates. :D Just for grins, I'll throw a clam in.

Ed Hahn
06-23-2004, 08:32 PM
Dylan,
Every Meeting I have gone to this year people have been doing that same thing. I can not get enough of it. We are serious when someone wants to share a issue. We are thinking the Middle of August.

Nikki,
I sent you a Pm.

Charlie,
I will let you know asap. You made some friends in the last few meetings in Spokane. They can not wait to show you thier tanks.

thanks for sharing your thoughts,
Ed

MtnDewMan
06-23-2004, 08:35 PM
I tend to like structured meetings with only a few meetings spent on pure socializing. By a structured meeting, I mean a guest speaker with a set agenda topic of discussion. If you want to have a socializing meeting, have a bbq and invite your friends. If you want to have a good meeting, make it a good meeting by having lots of discussion on a focused topic.

I have found through our meetings that if you have all social gatherings and no structure, then the meeting attendees will not have a problem missing meetings because it is just a "social" anyway ... they are more inclined to not want to miss a meeting if a Scott Michael or a Charles Delbeek is speaking.

mojoreef
06-23-2004, 09:42 PM
I say you invite Chuck down thier and have him do a presentation for everyone, ehehehe

Mike

Alice
06-23-2004, 09:44 PM
That's true Chuck, but it sounds as though Ed is really wanting to give club attendance/membership a shot in the arm and a big frag swap/social gathering is a sure-fire kick off. It's also a good time to put out a questionaire or even a more informal survey to find out what members would want to see in future meetings. And maybe more importantly, to find out if there are people willing to give Ed a hand planning larger, more structured events in the future. :)

Alice
06-23-2004, 09:45 PM
LOL, I'll second that one, Mike. We can sit in the front row. :D

NaH2O
06-23-2004, 11:16 PM
Can I come? I promise not to make faces at you, Chuck!

MtnDewMan
06-23-2004, 11:20 PM
You guys are too funny ... I may have to resort to the speech fright tactics of imagining everyone in their undies :)

Alice
06-23-2004, 11:30 PM
But did you ever wonder how many people in the audience are imagining you in YOUR undies?

:lol:

mojoreef
06-24-2004, 12:19 PM
Oh man straight to the gutter....lordie lordie

Mike

Macbeth417
06-24-2004, 12:43 PM
So it's going to be Chuck in his draws doing a puppet show about the dangers of allelophathy? Hehe, just kidden. Anyway, I personally enjoy structured meetings with a some open time at the end. A speaker or a presentation then some sort of open ended event (frags swap, demonstartion, BBQ) at the end. I find that way I can hopefully get some good little nugget of reefknowledge and then meet a few new people afterwards. Though I'm never opposed to a good pupet show ;)

-Erik

kevinpo
06-24-2004, 11:27 PM
I like a structured meeting with beer being at the top of the list. Then something to do with equipment (it doesn't matter what kind). Also cool frags that I don't have (I can drive 800 miles in a weekend for a couple) :)

Regards,
Kevin
PS: I will try to make this one unless it's over 100F :)

Ed Hahn
06-25-2004, 08:49 AM
Wow, I am gone for one day and look at the replies. I am looking at getting a place to do this. The wheels are spinning down here. My son had surgery yesterday. My pc is down at home. I think I talked Mojos ear off. I and Yellotang, Rico, and some great people on here are putting our best effort to do this.
Rico and I work at the same place we are checking into possibly getting a auditorium. We have to see if a Saltwater/Reef meeting is able to use this facility. That means Chuck will have to be good! I have to admit someone giving a speach in his flame throwing undies would attract attention. That blows my fake nose and glasses in the weeds.

CarlaW
06-25-2004, 08:54 AM
Make sure that sucker has got air conditioning!!!!:D

Ed Hahn
06-25-2004, 10:56 AM
Ok, I just got a Big OK. I can have a place reserved for the 14th of August that will host 285 people. We can not serve alcohol in the place reserved. It is a Auditorium. It will be air conditioned. Its like renting a movie Theater. I am working on getting our club to taxi people to river for more fun afterwards. That is the latest. I am still digging to get this going.
OK, one big one down and lots more to go!

Man, am I excited!
Ed

CarlaW
06-25-2004, 11:01 AM
Ok Ed:cool:
That August 14 date is a solid? It is sounding good to me. Anything special gonna be goin on, besides Chuck in his shorts?
God, I don't wanna miss this:D

kevinpo
06-25-2004, 11:02 AM
Hey Ed,
Does it have AV capabilities in case someone wants to do a Powerpoint presentation or video?

Kevin

Ed Hahn
06-25-2004, 12:18 PM
Hello Kevin,
I am pretty sure it does.

Ed Hahn
06-25-2004, 12:22 PM
Hey Charlie,
I heard Chuck in his shorts brings out the Babes! You saw Nikki perk up and want to go. This may work out if we can all put our heads together!

Ed Hahn
06-25-2004, 02:46 PM
Hey Chuck,
we will just make it easy on ya...everyone will just show up in their undies...(Bait put me up to this).

NaH2O
06-27-2004, 07:15 PM
You saw Nikki perk up and want to go.

LOL, Ed!!!

everyone will just show up in their undies

I'd probably scare the speaker away!! Chuck, I promise to wear clothing.

Salsaking
06-27-2004, 08:14 PM
I have ton's of sps corals but can only make it the following week. Me and a few reefers are doing a rafting trip the weekend of the 14th.

Hope it is changeable.

Salsaking!

Seattle

MtnDewMan
06-27-2004, 08:55 PM
Trust me, if I was the speaker in the undies, everyone would run ... :lol:

Ed Hahn
06-28-2004, 08:42 AM
This will work if all can communicate. I am asking the members of each club to communicate in hopes of organizing this. I better reword this. You do not have to belong to a club. We just want to pre plan to make this work. A nominee from each area would definitely help. We have a Auditorium now that can host 285 people. We have the capibilities to run a video, power point, A podium for someone to speak. We have air conditioning. I am asking any vendor if they possibly would like to make a lottery of something to attract more people. The possibility of a coral auction was talked about. We have a few boats and a Jet Ski now. We have a river and land to relax. We have offers from people to deliver people. Come on Guys,
Lets Rock the Boat a little. Let see what can happen? I am anxiously awaiting replies. I love what I have seen and heard so far. Lets not get discouraged. I am looking for that Kevin Costner Tape.......Whats it Called?

mojoreef
06-28-2004, 10:33 AM
Well after spending a weekend in a hell hole called Yakima I swore I wouldnt ever go back to that area (something about 110F heat and big guys doesnt go well) but Ed I am in and will offer to take anyone I can fit in the truck. Also I have managed to located a few boxes of cherry picked acros to bring along for auction or raffle to help the club cover the cost of the meeting

Mike

Alice
06-28-2004, 10:42 AM
Save me a seat, Mikey!

Ed Hahn
06-28-2004, 10:52 AM
Whoa, Mike YOU The Man! Now we have two really cool things pulling for a Super Meeting in The Paciific Northwest! The Date is August 14th, 2004. The place where the Meeting is scheduled is Richland, Washington at the Battelle Auditorium. I am communicating with Motels and others to get this boat Rocking!

Thanks Mike,
Its people like you that make this work.
Ed

NaH2O
06-28-2004, 11:34 AM
Anyone have an airplane? lol

Ed Hahn
06-28-2004, 12:54 PM
Nikki,
We are across the River from Pasco. The Tri-Cities consist of Pasco, Richland and Kennewick. I live in Kennewick. Spokane is a 2 hour drive away. If you make it to Washington. I will do my best to get you here and back from Airport.

Sincerely
Ed

Ed Hahn
06-28-2004, 01:20 PM
Aquatic Dreams has just donated 3 buckets of Oceanic Salt for the August 14th Meeting! Wow, people really want this to work! Thank You Kevin! I am working on locating a spot for people to bring their RVs.

reedman
06-28-2004, 02:01 PM
This sounds really great. I am going to see if I can get the wifes approval for this road trip. Will there be anywhere to pitch a tent for the night?

Ed Hahn
06-28-2004, 02:34 PM
I have a back yard. I have a front yard. It is not large. Yellow Tang has a large area he has volunteered for Tents.

Ed Hahn
06-28-2004, 04:04 PM
www.visittri-cities.com

This is a link that will help people out with lodging and information about the Tri-cities, Wa. Give it a whirl and see if this helps ya?

Ed Hahn
06-28-2004, 04:18 PM
If ten people or more decide to stay at The Battelle location I can get a fifty dollar a room rate. This facility is very new. it includes a complentmentary breakfast. It is just a walk away from where the meeting will take place. It is actually right across the street from Auditorium. Thats the latest deal I have found.

The Guest House at PNNL
620 Battelle Blvd.
www.pnl.gov
$50-99

(509) 372-6736

Ed Hahn
06-29-2004, 09:18 AM
The meeting is tonight to pre plan this. If you have questions, suggestions, or reasons of doubt that concern you, you may contact me.

I am placing my will work for Guest Speaker sign out on the sidewalk.

I am also saying thanks to those that made this easy for me and others.
It goes by noticed and very much appreciated!

puting on my" Pimping is Easy" T shirt...I want to sell!

mojoreef
06-29-2004, 12:42 PM
Ed I am going to move this thread over to your forum. It will still show up on the front page however.
Things look like thier coming together.

Mike

Ed Hahn
06-29-2004, 12:46 PM
Thanks Mike.

Alice
06-29-2004, 10:49 PM
PNW reefers know how to party :)

Ed Hahn
06-30-2004, 08:43 AM
Alice can you bring them along with your personality. Let shake the trees and see what happens. I could sure use your help.
We are working on getting a web site for latest details on this.
We would like a up to date on who can make it. We have a lot of good people working together. WE do not have the experience that Mike, Chuck or you Alice have. Alice your ears are probably ringing lately. You have a friend that told me you use to be a big part of the Portland Crew.

I am looking forward to meeting some of the crew from here!
Ed(looking for little smilie with thumbs up to insert here)
you know I will be back!

Yellotang
06-30-2004, 02:21 PM
Hello everyone, here is the official tentative schedule for this meeting. It is subject to a few changes as we iron out all the details. Please make sure that you continue to check up on it for any breaking news.

PNWMAC (http://www.midcolumbiasaltwater.com/PNWMAC.htm)

CarlaW
06-30-2004, 08:39 PM
Hey there,pardon me for being the poor ol' Montana boy, but how does a silent auction work?
Sounds like you guys and gals have put together a real good time, and I am looking forward to showing up. Where is the Friday nite deal gonna take place?

Yellotang
06-30-2004, 09:34 PM
SIlent auction is one where there will be a piece of paper with a nuber on it relating to the coral in the tank. to place a bid you have to put your name down and the amount you want to bid. at the end, the one with the highest bid wins.

Alice
07-01-2004, 12:42 AM
Ed,

Send me a PM with anything I can do to help. :)

NaH2O
07-01-2004, 08:01 AM
I'm just adding a link to the Poll: Big Tri-Cities Meeting (http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3307)

Ed Hahn
07-01-2004, 09:07 AM
I have a link to forward to someone if they can give me a addy. It is a link to motel that is right next to planned Meeting. If there are 10 people or more that state they are going to this Meeting
The rooms are $50 a nite. I think it is 5 or ten more if less than that. It is close to where all the activities are planned. I am pretty sure it has internet feed. I am not sure if it has a pool. But you can walk less than 200 yards to Audtiorium. The scheduled river fun is only a mile away.:)

NaH2O
07-01-2004, 10:26 AM
Ed - PMed ya back. Sounds like a great deal on the rooms.

Ed Hahn
07-01-2004, 10:45 AM
I want this to be as cheap as possible and as fun as possible for everyone.

Nikki,
You have helped a bunch. I look forward to sending you a frag or something in the future if possible.
Ed

Yellotang
07-01-2004, 12:32 PM
We are also working on providing as many spare rooms and tent sites as possible.

I have two spare rooms and a lot of tent space.

Yellotang
07-10-2004, 05:39 PM
Tickets are now on sale and can be purchased at http://www.midcolumbiasaltwater.com
First 35 sales get free coral frag.

reedman
07-10-2004, 07:44 PM
The Paypal link doesn't work yet.

psa
07-11-2004, 02:41 AM
There was a problem with the decryption of your secure order. Please contact your merchant.

Alice
07-11-2004, 12:05 PM
I've sent a heads up that there were problems with paypal. I'm sure it will be fixed soon! :)

Alice

Rico
07-12-2004, 12:42 AM
Thanks Alice,

The PayPal Button is now working. Had to ween the webmaster away from front page and onto notepad... :)

Rick

Yellotang
07-13-2004, 02:42 PM
Everyone that wants to get in on this free coral frag offer for the first 35 needs to do it soon. The tickets are going fast.

Alice
07-13-2004, 11:02 PM
I think there's going to be a good turnout; I know we're gonna have a blast. :)

I need to make my hotel reservation, lol. I'm looking on this as a mini-vacation, even though I am a grunt/volunteer! ;)

Rico
07-14-2004, 12:46 AM
Alice,

Were you able to post the flyer in any local shops?

Check out the web page, we have added quite a bit of additional information

http://www.midcolumbiasaltwater.com/PNWMAC.htm

Rick

Ed Hahn
08-08-2004, 05:14 PM
Wow, I just want to say thanks to those that donated stuff. We have stuff that has not been listed , such as a $100 gift certificate from Amazon Bay, And Oceanview Aquatics volunteered something too.

Like someone said earlier to me today..We did a lot in two months. Just imagine what we could do in a year ...

This is going to be a meeting to be remembered!...

Dreams are wished but not often answered like this!

Thanks Sincerely,
God Bless you cool People!
Ed

Ed Hahn
08-08-2004, 05:15 PM
We tried to use every idea that was shared...Thanks for your help!