PDA

View Full Version : coral life aqua timer digital

pewpewlazerbeam
09-06-2010, 10:05 PM
Ok so is this thing just a giant piece of trash or what?

originally i programmed it wrong but then i realised what i did and fixed it. it worked for a few weeks. Then it started resetting itself all the damn time. Its basically worthless now, because it randomly reset its timer.
Other experiences with this people?

Is there a cost effective alternative for a timer?

thatguy559
09-06-2010, 10:17 PM
change the battery

pewpewlazerbeam
09-06-2010, 11:24 PM
change the battery

That didn't occur to me because its only a few weeks old but I guess its worth a shot?

thatguy559
09-06-2010, 11:26 PM
yeah but those things sit on the shelfs for who knows how long. i had the same thing happen to me changed out the battery never happened again

pewpewlazerbeam
09-06-2010, 11:28 PM
thanks man. Remember where you got the battery?

thatguy559
09-07-2010, 02:16 AM
Radio shack

markingfoxrays
09-07-2010, 03:34 AM
yeah but those things sit on the shelfs for who knows how long. i had the same thing happen to me changed out the battery never happened again

thatguy559
09-07-2010, 11:20 AM
^WTF did he just copy and paste to get post?

tat2z_21
09-07-2010, 11:35 AM
^WTF did he just copy and paste to get post?

pewpewlazerbeam
09-07-2010, 11:35 AM
Lol, appears so

thatguy559
09-07-2010, 11:42 AM
thanks floyd

tat2z_21
09-07-2010, 01:38 PM
On the real though those timers are crap anyways, form my experience with them and from what I have read, they are crap. Better to just save up 100 dollars and get a controller. That way you have more functionability (is that a word), and contollability (almost certain that is a word, damn California educational system.)

pewpewlazerbeam
09-07-2010, 03:49 PM
Thatguy, before i go buying a battery for something im fairly certain is worthless let me know if yours was doing this.

It does randomly reset but also. EVERY time i switch through the on phase it makes a sound and resets. I can then click it on and leave it on. But if i set the timer, then cycle to auto passing through the ON phase it resets. this doesnt seem battery related

thatguy559
09-07-2010, 03:54 PM
Mine would loose the settings and sometimes it would do what you are talking about. If you feel that you don't like that timer then go buy a controller they are all over reefcentral. I just bought another aqua jr for my turtles so I can toss that timer in the trash

pewpewlazerbeam
09-07-2010, 04:01 PM
I like the timer when it works, but last night it was on when i went out and off prematurely when i came home. Thats gotta stress out the fish/corals right?
I went over to reef central and looked for controllers, this is extreme overkill. I have a 29 gal biocube i dont need remote monitoring of all this stuff. I dont understand how these timers can be such complete pieces of crap and still be on the market.

How is there not a reasonable alternative?

tat2z_21
09-07-2010, 04:34 PM
There is. Home depot sells the single timers that are complete workhorses. I had them on my reef for a little over 3 years with no issues at all. You set them and forget them. They work like a champ. the only downside is you have to have the outlets for them to plug into. But seriously safer then the coralife, (huge fire issues) and really reliable. Check them out. I think they cost around 7 or 8 dollars

pewpewlazerbeam
09-07-2010, 05:04 PM
I'll have to stop by the depot after work and check it out. I assume you could plug them into a power strip temselves as long as the overall load wasnt overloading the strip?

pewpewlazerbeam
09-07-2010, 11:53 PM
Went to home depot today bought a few things. They have a black powerstrip that has a digital reader. It looks eerily similar to the coralife pos but a different color. But unlike the coral life it had good reviews. ( wish id looked at some coral life reviews before buying)

Also I bought a mechanical dial one for the moon cycle since the new powerstrip only has on and off, not night and day. Will keep you guys posted with results

NC2WA
09-07-2010, 11:58 PM
similar to the coralife pos

how do you really feel about this digital timer??

LOL LOL

I can hear the passion in your voice.

pewpewlazerbeam
09-08-2010, 12:18 AM
I'm sorry but I found revews (pretty much every review) with the same problem as I'm having that date back 3 flippong years. The fact that they're still selling a product that has knowingly just not worked for 3 + years pisses me off. Fix your s*&t or take it off the market.

I manage a family business that sells building materials. If we had consistant problems of the same type that rendered one of our products flat out useless id have lawsuits if I kept selling it without fixing the problem.

There are countless threads on this timer elsewhere, as well as review on many sites. How I failed to notice a constant 1 star rating is embarrasing. I tend to think I'm a smarter e consumer than that

pewpewlazerbeam
09-08-2010, 01:03 PM
(Update)

So when i got home from job # 2 i set up my new GE digital power strip from home depot.
Since this new timer lacked the (night) cycle that ran inverse to the day cycle i had to get a seperate single time for my refugium light. I bought a mechanical cheapo one for this purpose and plugged it in to a separate power strip. I waited until 10 pm when my halide is supposed to shut off and set up the new power strip. ( so nothing was actually drawing power from it overnight except 2 blue lunar link leds that i have on the always on side.

I wake up this morning and look at the timer. The cheapo mechanical timer is plugging away ( silently i might add )

While the new power strip had apparently reset at some time during the night. It was no longer in the auto cycle it was now OFF, and the time on it was incorrect.

There goes the thought that the draw from the ballast is what causes it to reset as the ballast should never have been turned on over night.

Here is the funniest and oddest part. I still had the coral life timer sitting next to the other power strip mostly because i just havent put it away yet. IT had reset as well at the same F*&^%%ing time. They read the same time, both said 9:14 am ( it was 7:00).
The coral life timer wasnt even plugged into a wall, it just reset itself and turned back on.

I give up on digital timers i will go buy a large mechanical power strip and be done with this.

thatguy559
09-08-2010, 01:25 PM
Should invest in a controller even a basic one

pewpewlazerbeam
09-08-2010, 01:29 PM
I will if i can find something <100$ but im not looking to spend that much to have my lights shut off at a certain time. If only i had some old lady neighbor i could pay to turn them on at 10 am

tat2z_21
09-08-2010, 07:25 PM
Well you can get a Digital Aquatics reefkeeper lite for under 100 dollars and it will control your pumps, lights temperature, and lunar lights. It is a deal. You can have your power heads on seperate wavemakers and they will turn off and on when you say.

scytale
09-09-2010, 12:11 AM
For all those people recommending a controller, instead of timers--consider (4)* words: "single, point, of, failure."

Nothing is perfect... so what happens if the controller fails?
(Don't you lose everything--your lights, your heaters, your pumps, your doser, etc.?)

At least with multiple timers, the failure is limited to only 1 piece of equipment at a time!
Call me old school, but I like having (6) independent timers instead.

I use the whole gamut, from cheap IKEA analog timers to nice digital models capable of 1 minute intervals.
(Personally I like my Intermatic DT17, Heavy Duty 7-day timers best, but they're hard to find after the recall.)

Pickup a Power-squid and you can plug a whole slew of timers into the same strip.

(* well, 3 words + 1 preposition, I suppose.)

pewpewlazerbeam
09-11-2010, 12:17 PM
FWIW I returned the new digital timer, ( cant send back the corralife) got a GFI strip, and have mechanical timers on the GFI. Theyre working like clockwork. All is well.

Scooterman
09-11-2010, 12:25 PM
These timers are known fire hazards, IMO junk it and buy a lawn timer or a heavy duty dial timer, some lawn timers have battery backups.

JMO :D

pewpewlazerbeam
09-11-2010, 12:38 PM
Scooterman, its very very true. Absolute pieces of junk. I bought it on amazon and im friends with their vp maybe ill put the screws to him about not selling that junk

76Frags
09-11-2010, 01:16 PM
I like the timer when it works, but last night it was on when i went out and off prematurely when i came home. Thats gotta stress out the fish/corals right?
I went over to reef central and looked for controllers, this is extreme overkill. I have a 29 gal biocube i dont need remote monitoring of all this stuff. I dont understand how these timers can be such complete pieces of crap and still be on the market.

How is there not a reasonable alternative?

It's my belief that their timers are like their skimmers, and their power compact lighting systems with the "unchangable without breaking" lights! That company has fallen way down on my list of things to buy. I have two of thier timers and the only reason i still have them is b/c I'm saving up for something better at the moment.

johnpeezy
09-12-2010, 11:38 PM
Walmart...
i think there in the lighting section.

brinks digital timers (make sure you get the ones with the ground probe)

I have 5-6 of these running random things in my house I LOVE THEM...they cost more then the dial timers(around 15 i think) but they are very user friendly and the one I have used on my reef tank for quite some time has a remote (makes turnig on the lights much easier when the unexpected visitor comes by, but that one cost like 30 bucks...)

Only have a problem with one, the battery backup wore out, still no complaints.

baseballkid5
09-13-2010, 04:27 AM
I have an Aquacontroller jr with Temp and Ph Probe and aquanotes you can have it for $125 if your interested. I think i have some x10s for it as well. If not no worries.
Scott