PDA

View Full Version : SWC vs. RO

NaTe R
10-28-2010, 11:12 PM
Mark,

give me your opinion on these two skimmer please. thinking bout upgrading. are they even comparable?

Current setup: 150system, Heavy SPS dominated,7 fish
shortly i will be at 180+gal still sps and want another 3 fish

Reef Octopus Extreme SX200
http://www.aquacave.com/reef-octopus-extremebr-sx-200-protein-skimmer-brby-coralvue-3147.html#

SWC 180 Cone
http://www.saltwaterconnection.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=149

Thanks

NaTe R
10-28-2010, 11:16 PM
i m also considering the Bubble king Alpha cone 170 but i keep hearing people say there hard to dial in and get stablized. Plus i know no one who owns one to check it out.

+the price is kinda steep for somthing that dosnt review well

lvsuckerfish
10-29-2010, 12:04 AM
now is the 180 total system gallons? or just the new tank size?

NaTe R
10-29-2010, 01:08 AM
i am adding a larger sump and a 20gal tank connected to the system soon is what i mean by that

lvsuckerfish
10-29-2010, 01:42 AM
no reading is fundamental lol well atleast not for me I know what others will say and that would be the swc I think also this would be a better choice since I believe they ahev figured out the sicce start up issues and Mark AKA skimmie is a local vendor and possibly will have one in stock. I have never owned a SWC skimmer I think they skim too wet for my personal taste I like a dry stinky cup of gloop.

but if bubble king fits your budget thats what I would opt for. solid skimmer and solid pump I have a diy Bubble King Mini 160 not hooked up yet but I know I will love this one lol Troylee and also Mojo built this one. most all my skimmers troyLee has built me.

Skimmy
10-29-2010, 07:55 AM
well, i do think the full cone design of the SWC 180 is better than the new octo, but that is the new sicce pump on the RO that is suppose to be better than the psk 2500, but as mentioned, SWC has designed the start up issues out of the psk2500, and it gets slightly more air injection.
so yes, all in all i think the SWC full cone skimmer is better design and more power.

mcoomer
10-29-2010, 08:52 AM
I may be wrong but I think that both of these will be maxed trying to keep up with 180 gallons, 10 fish, and SPS. Of the two, I would lean towards the 180 cone but I'd seriously consider moving up to either the RO Extreme XS 250 or SWC Extreme 250 Cone. Yes, it will cost more to move up but I would rather have a little headroom to handle my bioload and the ability to add a few more fish. I've got a 180G with probably 230-240 gallons total volume, 6 fish, 10-11 SPS and a skimmer rated to 400G.

Mike

NaTe R
10-30-2010, 10:27 PM
so the psk 1000 is an updated pump?

i saw that the swc had the 2500 and the ro had the 1000 rated at the same bioloads and was a little confused by this because just assuming that a 2500 is a slightly bigger pump than the 1000 but thats not the case?

lvsuckerfish- have you herd the rumors that the cone bubble kings have the dialing in issues?

Skimmy (mark) - do you agree with mike should i think about going bigger than the 180?

capdippe
10-30-2010, 11:59 PM
Good thread (NaTe R) I'm moving up to a 180 as well, and was wondering the exact same thing. Tagging along on this one, Matt.

NaTe R
10-31-2010, 03:02 AM
i hear ya cad. i know reef octopuss is like a made in china thing so who knows if there ratings are even realistic. Plus the two skimmer metioned above were both rated about the same but have the same brand name pump but diffrent numbers its confusing for a guy who has no LFS to check out anthing or local reefers who may use diffrent equipments.

thanks again guys for your advise/opinions

Myteemouse
10-31-2010, 09:23 AM
I may be upgrading my 250 SWC to a cone soon..
What would be the best SWC cone?? I would prefer one pump instead of two. I have a total of 210 gallons of water but HEAVY (soon to be heavier) bio-load

Frankie
10-31-2010, 09:39 AM
Hmm, good topic.
I have been looking for others opinion on this cone theory. I am still not sold on it being better then a straight skimmer.
My thinking is that they will actually inhibit the rising foam and narrow it down. Let me explain;
So here is this chamber with all these bubbles gathering nutrients on there surface. The bubbles are being forced up, when you restrict that upward flow the bubbles are getting more narrow in the column, some are forced up and others are now being forced down.
It is these bubbles that are being forced down and away from the collection cup that I worry about because they have a greater chance of being returned to the aquarium and carrying now with them, the nutrients we are trying so hard to remove.

NaTe R
10-31-2010, 01:28 PM
frankie i want you to build me a skimmer that is what i really want.

capdippe
10-31-2010, 04:41 PM
But couldn't the cone act like a jet engine, by increasing the flow (pressure) forcing more bubbles out the top and into the cup?

Frankie
10-31-2010, 08:59 PM
You don't want that Nate :) Better to buy one that comes with a warranty ;) But TY for the kind words :D
Hello Cap! Since I am getting familiar with all the members here again let me welcome you to RF :)
I see how you would think that. But that is not how skimmers work. If they did we would have some serious top off issue! LOL!
If you have ever watched a cone skimmer you can see the bubbles running down the sides. Actually all skimmers do this.
I'm not trying to push a way of thinking about cone skimmers, just trying to understand them better. Most of my friends that use probiotics are running cone skimmer BTW and they have some of the most spectacular reefs I have ever seen.
I am just looking for on hand, out of the box thinking.

lvsuckerfish
11-01-2010, 12:00 AM
Hmm, good topic.
I have been looking for others opinion on this cone theory. I am still not sold on it being better then a straight skimmer.
My thinking is that they will actually inhibit the rising foam and narrow it down. Let me explain;
So here is this chamber with all these bubbles gathering nutrients on there surface. The bubbles are being forced up, when you restrict that upward flow the bubbles are getting more narrow in the column, some are forced up and others are now being forced down.
It is these bubbles that are being forced down and away from the collection cup that I worry about because they have a greater chance of being returned to the aquarium and carrying now with them, the nutrients we are trying so hard to remove.

how did you come to this theory as both have to get through the neck. The cone makes a easier transition to and through the neck to make its way to the collection cup. yes straight shot up the a blunt not stop but will use for this case to the neck of the skimmer were as a cone as a gradual transition from the body up to the neck. that is how I understand the cones to be more efficient over cylinder body skimmers.

lvsuckerfish
11-01-2010, 12:01 AM
nateR I have not heard of any issues with them all skimmers can be a pain to dial in if the person does not have patients to get it right.

Skimmy
11-01-2010, 11:03 AM
so the psk 1000 is an updated pump?

i saw that the swc had the 2500 and the ro had the 1000 rated at the same bioloads and was a little confused by this because just assuming that a 2500 is a slightly bigger pump than the 1000 but thats not the case?

lvsuckerfish- have you herd the rumors that the cone bubble kings have the dialing in issues?

Skimmy (mark) - do you agree with mike should i think about going bigger than the 180?

well, i think 1000-1200lph air injection is plenty for a 180 as long as you are running carbon, and preferable a fuge as well.

I may be upgrading my 250 SWC to a cone soon..
What would be the best SWC cone?? I would prefer one pump instead of two. I have a total of 210 gallons of water but HEAVY (soon to be heavier) bio-load

swc does have a new cone skimmer,
the new SWC 230 cone with askoll pump, 60 scfh at 50 watts, pump in the body, should be about $500 or so.
http://reefbuilders.com/2010/10/21/swc-230-improved-swc-300a-releasing-time-christmas/

Hmm, good topic.

im guessing u dont own a cone skimmer... :)
yes, they do skim better infact, and yes they tend to be more efficent.
a good cone skimmer is not going to have bubbles forced "down" the reaction chamber, that is what the bubble plate is for , to alleviate the turbulence allowing the air to travel up at a slower rate, but ultimately i think that is a moot point, because most skimmers inject process water at the bottom, the water and air moves to the top of the skimmer, then the process water has to fight all the bubbles going up to get to the exit, meaning that there is going to be more dwell in the reaction chamber, and that the water molecules are going to get caught in the air and probably travel up again a few times befor they exit. the trick is having a pump, bubble plate, reaction chamber, and neck size that all match eachother properly, so a good cone skimmer will anticipate these in the design and choosing of pump, less expensive or poorly designed cone skimmers might not consider those items so much...

Frankie
11-01-2010, 05:10 PM
Thanks skimmerwisperer! That is what I wanted to read. And no, I have not owned one yet and have been thinking on the concept from what I read online. Thanks for the input. :)

King_Neptune
11-01-2010, 06:51 PM
I picked up an SWC 200 from mark the other day, already happy with it. Its been running a couple hours now, and its already on the cusp of being broken in( I was expecting it to take another 20). The bubbles are right on the edge of that desired frothiness.

NaTe R
11-01-2010, 11:23 PM
I pm'd mark for a price on a 180 cone, i m thinking christmas present to myself this year.

Skimmy
11-01-2010, 11:49 PM
I picked up an SWC 200 from mark the other day, already happy with it. Its been running a couple hours now, and its already on the cusp of being broken in( I was expecting it to take another 20). The bubbles are right on the edge of that desired frothiness.

wait till it's been up for a week, you should see quite the increase in foam!!
your waiting for bacteria to cover the interior of the skimmer...
and that was actually the mini s cone you got. :)

capdippe
11-02-2010, 09:13 AM
What kind of bio load would the swc 180 manage on a 180gal tank? Who is Mark? Is he a SWC retailer?

capdippe
11-02-2010, 09:14 AM
the SWC 180 cone that is.

Ed Hahn
11-02-2010, 09:31 AM
Having 3 friends purchase SWC skimmers, me purchasing one, and a friend purchasing one very soon. I have not see a skimmer perform as well in years without issues. I love SWC skimmers, and customer service. I am definitely a SWC fan. I am looking forward to seeing my friends Mini S cone skimmer work on her 24 thousand dollar Cylinder tank.

Skimmy
11-02-2010, 11:03 AM
What kind of bio load would the swc 180 manage on a 180gal tank? Who is Mark? Is he a SWC retailer?

that would be me.... greenskimmer is my sponsor business name. :)
and yes, i sell SWC skimmers. :)

here's a link to all the rating and other info for all models;
http://www.saltwaterconnection.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1&zenid=b47b1254aae15bc9ac3d4898b8c30047

capdippe
11-02-2010, 06:19 PM
Hahaha, sorry for the late pick up. I recently bought a 180gal tank and was thinking of using the (swc 180 cone). I'll take a look thanks!

NaTe R
11-05-2010, 12:09 AM
decided on the SWC mini S cone. :)

Thanks for the help and the great deal on the skimmer Mark. (Skimerwhisperer)

Rhodes19
11-22-2010, 06:21 PM
Good info. :)

Frankie
11-22-2010, 06:34 PM
I'm seriously considering one of these for my new build instead of building my own this time. Do staff get discounts if they buy two? :)

Ed Hahn
11-22-2010, 06:41 PM
After using the SWC Mini S Cone skimmer for one Week. I am very very pleased!!!

thank you Mark(skimmerwhisper)!

Big improvement!! It pulled two full cups of skimmate out for two days, then half cups and less through M-Sat. Sunday I removed half of the bio balls. The skimmer pulled another full cup of skimmate within 24 hours. Doctors says that some serious dark stinky stuffs!.... Skimmer works like Ali!

Sincerely,
Ed Hahn

NaTe R
11-23-2010, 01:44 AM
+1 Ed

So far i m liking the Mini S as well. Did my first cup dump on friday and it was kinda wet because of the first day or two i was adjusting the wedge pipe but this batch should be a good one. :D

Ed Hahn
11-23-2010, 11:28 AM
^5 Nate. I think you did good Buddy! Lets learn together how good of a skimmer they are! I am very satisfied with MIni S at this point. I am tempted to sell my SWC 250 A cone and buy two of these. Very small foot print and packs oh what a punch!

Skimmy
11-23-2010, 02:37 PM
yep, the mini S cones are a slightly older design(like 2 years old),
but they really are great skimmers in a fairly small footprint...(10.5x10.5)
the design of the SWC 180 cone is better for sure, but there is a $100 difference between the 2, and they have the same pump and power.
the pinwheel and venturi on the mini s is improved as well for extra power and no start up issues(same as the 180)... so all in all a great deal for a nice cone skimmer that will handle a 200g, IMO(1200 lph air injection, and i usually recommend 600 lph per 100g of DT).

wait till all the new skimmers and products from SWC come out around christmas/new year... u guys will be pleased. :)

Ed Hahn
11-23-2010, 03:04 PM
Skimmy,
If you think one of those Miinis will handle my 300 gallon tank full of goodies let me know?

thanks again,
Ed

Skimmy
11-23-2010, 07:10 PM
naaah... thats pushing it... :(
that would give you about 400 lph of air per 100g...
not quite enough... i'd stick with the SWC 250A

Ed Hahn
11-23-2010, 09:35 PM
Skimmy,
If you think one of those Miinis will handle my 300 gallon tank full of goodies let me know?

thanks again,
Ed

Skimmy,
You need to come to the midcolumbia club Xmas party. It would do us both good.
I want to learn more about your line of skimmers and I think the people in Tri-cities need to learn more about skimmers available.

Rhodes19
11-24-2010, 07:47 AM
Hi skimerwhisperer,

Do you thinking the SWC Xtreme 200 would be a good choice for my system. I have a 180 with a 55g sump/fug and will eventually make it an sps dominant system. Right now I have a low bio load and am also thinking for doing zeovite at some point. Thanks

Frankie
11-24-2010, 08:12 AM
Rhodes, we just need to move to Washington, then we will have a club meeting we can attend that doesn't just include the two of us! LOL :D
There are so many reefers over there they needed this site to keep them all in control!

Rhodes19
11-24-2010, 09:34 AM
Rhodes, we just need to move to Washington, then we will have a club meeting we can attend that doesn't just include the two of us! LOL :D
There are so many reefers over there they needed this site to keep them all in control!

I wouldn't mind. :) I was stationed at Ft. Lewis back in the early 80's and absolutely loved it there. I use to go diving in Puget Sound (saw Galloping Gertie), the Strait of Juan de Fuca, American lake and Crystal Lake. Used to climb Mt. Rainier, Mt. Baker, Mt. Adams and Mt. Shasta (ok, that's CA). Absolute beautiful country out there. I even started my first salt water tank out there too. A 55g with an undergravel filter system!! I thought I was high speed when I put power heads on them. :D

Skimmy
11-24-2010, 03:56 PM
Hi skimerwhisperer,

Do you thinking the SWC Xtreme 200 would be a good choice for my system. I have a 180 with a 55g sump/fug and will eventually make it an sps dominant system. Right now I have a low bio load and am also thinking for doing zeovite at some point. Thanks

an extreme 200 would be good for that size... especially with zeovite...your tank should be pretty damn clean.

NaTe R
11-24-2010, 05:44 PM
Skimmy,
You need to come to the midcolumbia club Xmas party. It would do us both good.
I want to learn more about your line of skimmers and I think the people in Tri-cities need to learn more about skimmers available.

Ed how many active member do you have in the area? I think there is three of us up here in the yakima valley that i know of

Ed Hahn
11-24-2010, 08:01 PM
Ed how many active member do you have in the area? I think there is three of us up here in the yakima valley that i know of

Lots of members, they just do not talk on the forums.
Xmas party is on December 11th. Its a good time if you want to visit holler.

SWC has sure caught my eye with their improvements. Please keep us up to date Mark. :)

Rhodes19
11-29-2010, 11:17 AM
an extreme 200 would be good for that size... especially with zeovite...your tank should be pretty damn clean.

Cool beans. Thanks. :)

Rhodes19
12-04-2010, 10:21 AM
Well, its time for me to step up and join the skimmer club. :) I ordered the SWC 200 Xtreme
from Mark and I'm looking forward to getting it in my tank. After reading everyones comments and experiences with SWC, I think I'm going to be very happy with it. And thank you to Mark too, he was great to work with. :)

Rhodes19
12-16-2010, 01:55 PM
Woo Hoo! I got my skimmer from skimerwhisperer the other day and its in the sump up and running. I like it. :) I still need to play with the flow so I can get the foam where I want it but its easy to do. I put it together within just a couple of minutes. I am amazed at how quiet it is. My wife is calling it an atomic weapon for the tank. LOL!!

http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv219/Warrpiper2000/180%20build/skimmer6.jpg

http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv219/Warrpiper2000/180%20build/skimmer7.jpg

http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv219/Warrpiper2000/180%20build/skimmer9.jpg

Frankie
12-16-2010, 02:11 PM
Does anyone see anything wrong with this picture? I went over to Rhodes last night to check out his new skimmer and the bubble count seems to be very low. I raised the water line up to the cup level but saw very little foam production.
The skimmer is well built but I am questioning the pump running it and the amount of air pull.
Does the water level in the sump look right for this skimmer? I would say there is about 10" of water from the bottom of the skimmer to the water line outside the skimmer.

NanoReefer411
12-17-2010, 10:24 PM
I just got the SWC 250A and it immediately had foam raising into the neck. That foam production doesn't look right. Sicce pumps.............don't like them. Rhodes it is Gina. I am MarineGirl411.....if you get the SWC 250A you will not regret it. If that Sicce is running mesh, it is going to be a PITA! I have had the Sicce before on a Bubblemaster....pain in the arse. I hope it ends up working out for you though. I have my skimmer in about 7 inches of water. The company I bought mine from said 6-8 inches should be the amount of water the skimmer runs in. HTH.

Skimmy
12-17-2010, 11:26 PM
Does anyone see anything wrong with this picture? I went over to Rhodes last night to check out his new skimmer and the bubble count seems to be very low. I raised the water line up to the cup level but saw very little foam production.
The skimmer is well built but I am questioning the pump running it and the amount of air pull.
Does the water level in the sump look right for this skimmer? I would say there is about 10" of water from the bottom of the skimmer to the water line outside the skimmer.

well, i'd say let it break in first... 9-10" should be good for the sump level, and if you raised the internal water level to the bottom of the skimmer cup, then i wouild leave it there for a several days to break in. also, the pump may have started backwards, you may want to try unplugging and re plugging it in to see if you get a power increase. otherwise not too uncommon for a skimmer while still breaking in. im guessing that it didnt get a hot bath first to rinse is all.

ac7av
12-18-2010, 12:22 AM
You really need to raise the internal water level with the output adjustment pipe. Get the water level at first to the level of the beginning of the taper part. After a couple of days you can adjusted it again to get the foam to the top opening of the cup with out the foam pouring into the cup. The way it is now looks like you have the output wide open and it will not do much like that. I run mine in 10 inches of water and it rocks but if I let the level of the water go down an inch it doesn’t do anything. I have not needed to re adjust my skimmer since I set it up. It stays perfect all the time and I’m coming up on a year soon.

Maxx
12-18-2010, 05:04 AM
Is the output side of the skimmer supposed to be underwater like that? Its causing backpressure on the pump which is going to cause it to work harder.

Nick

Rhodes19
12-18-2010, 09:52 AM
I just got the SWC 250A and it immediately had foam raising into the neck. That foam production doesn't look right. Sicce pumps.............don't like them. Rhodes it is Gina. I am MarineGirl411.....if you get the SWC 250A you will not regret it. If that Sicce is running mesh, it is going to be a PITA! I have had the Sicce before on a Bubblemaster....pain in the arse. I hope it ends up working out for you though. I have my skimmer in about 7 inches of water. The company I bought mine from said 6-8 inches should be the amount of water the skimmer runs in. HTH.

Hi Gina, :)

Its good seeing you here. Thanks for the info. This is my first big skimmer (other skimmer is a Remora Nano) so I have a little leaning curve but I think I have it figured out. I was playing with it and got the water level to move up and down. At the moment, I am getting some dark skimmate out of it. When I get home this afternoon I'll open it up a little more for a little more foam production. The wheel is a back needle wheel and its making bubbles. :D Right now I have the bottom of the skimmer sitting in 10" of water sitting on top of one of my wife's Tupperware (what she don't know won't hurt me :D). I'll make a pvc stand for it later. I have the SWC 200 and I like it. It looks very well made.

Rhodes19
12-18-2010, 10:43 AM
well, i'd say let it break in first... 9-10" should be good for the sump level, and if you raised the internal water level to the bottom of the skimmer cup, then i wouild leave it there for a several days to break in. also, the pump may have started backwards, you may want to try unplugging and re plugging it in to see if you get a power increase. otherwise not too uncommon for a skimmer while still breaking in. im guessing that it didn't get a hot bath first to rinse is all.

Hi Mark, :)

I have it at 10" of water, but I'll have to check the internal water level (having a hard time differentiating between water and bubbles). When I plugged it in for the first time it made some rattling noise so I unplugged it and plugged it in again and the rattle was gone (must have started backwards). I didn't give it a hot bath first so that may have been an issue, I didn't know I had to do that. Should I take it out and give it a hot bath now or am I beyond that stage now? Thanks. :)

Chris

Rhodes19
12-18-2010, 11:00 AM
You really need to raise the internal water level with the output adjustment pipe. Get the water level at first to the level of the beginning of the taper part. After a couple of days you can adjusted it again to get the foam to the top opening of the cup with out the foam pouring into the cup. The way it is now looks like you have the output wide open and it will not do much like that. I run mine in 10 inches of water and it rocks but if I let the level of the water go down an inch it doesn’t do anything. I have not needed to re adjust my skimmer since I set it up. It stays perfect all the time and I’m coming up on a year soon.

Hi ac7av,

Thanks for the info and help. When I first turned it on I had it wide open (didn't know how to adjust the water level) but I figured it out the next day. It's been running since Tuesday night and on Wednesday night Frankie came over and we adjusted the output adjustment pipe to bring the water/foam level up. As of this morning, I have about a 1/4" of dark skimmate in the collection cup and the foam is just going over the top into the cup. I think folks call this a dry skimmate??? I'm really excited about having the skimmer and getting a lot of junk out of my tank.

Chris

Rhodes19
12-18-2010, 11:01 AM
Oh, on a different note, what do most folks do as far as collecting the skimmate? Do you prefer taking the cup off when it's full or do you prefer to have it drain into a container out side the sump and replace the container (I'm thinking 2 L Coca bottle or a gallon milk jug)? Any big pros or cons? Thanks. :)

Rhodes19
12-18-2010, 11:07 AM
Is the output side of the skimmer supposed to be underwater like that? Its causing backpressure on the pump which is going to cause it to work harder.

Nick

Hi Maxx,

The out put side goes down to almost the bottom of the skimmer. I took it off the other day and to be honest, I really couldn't tell any difference. This morning before I left I put it back on because I was noticing some salt creep on the side of the sump and the sump light that hadn't been there before.

ac7av
12-18-2010, 12:09 PM
Hi Maxx
its not closed at the top of that sections so it doesn’t cause back pressure. The tube goes to below water to act as a internal baffle and reduce or eliminate the micro bubbles coming out the exhaust.

Hey Rhodes
glad to see you got it dialed in. The way you skim Is all just a preference whether it be dry or wet. I go for a tea color in mine but that’s just me. I guess you could call it on the wet side. The sides of my sump are higher then the bottom of the collection cup bottom so I have to pull the cup and dump but be carful about the 2 liter bottle. This is where people get into flooding trouble especially if yours is not broke in yet or is not in a stable water level. If you do use a container to catch it from the skimmer try and have it in a place that will not matter if the bottle overflows

NanoReefer411
12-18-2010, 12:17 PM
Rhodes-I am glad you got it pulling skimmate! The pinwheels will definitely be better than the mesh!! If you check out the member's showcase forum, I took some new pictures of the tank. =) I dumped my first cup of skimmate. I am thinking of using the drain though. Hey, good use of Tupperware! =) I used a milk crate cut in half. It does the job!

Rhodes19
12-19-2010, 11:35 AM
Hey Rhodes
glad to see you got it dialed in. The way you skim Is all just a preference whether it be dry or wet. I go for a tea color in mine but that’s just me. I guess you could call it on the wet side. The sides of my sump are higher then the bottom of the collection cup bottom so I have to pull the cup and dump but be carful about the 2 liter bottle. This is where people get into flooding trouble especially if yours is not broke in yet or is not in a stable water level. If you do use a container to catch it from the skimmer try and have it in a place that will not matter if the bottle overflows

Thank Erik,

Mine was rather dark until I turned off the return pump to feed the fish and when the water level raised in the sump, it did the same in the skimmer!!! Water was pouring over the top of the collection cup!! LOL Just another speed bump in the learning curve. :D the bottom of my collection cup is below the top of my sump as well by about 2". I suppose I could make it work but after flooding the cup I may hold off. :)

Rhodes19
12-19-2010, 11:39 AM
Rhodes-I am glad you got it pulling skimmate! The pinwheels will definitely be better than the mesh!! If you check out the member's showcase forum, I took some new pictures of the tank. =) I dumped my first cup of skimmate. I am thinking of using the drain though. Hey, good use of Tupperware! =) I used a milk crate cut in half. It does the job!

Hi Gina,

I might have an unused plastic milk crate hanging around some where. I'll have to see if I can find it. My wife found her Tupperware last night. Ops. She was ok with it but I'm doing the dishes and laundry for her today!!

Skimmy
12-19-2010, 04:38 PM
a good simple thing for a skimmer stand is egg crate stacked up so you can play with different depths.
and dont feel bad, just the other day i turned off my return pump and forgot the skimmer first...
nice cup of nog right back in the tank..

Rhodes19
12-20-2010, 08:01 AM
a good simple thing for a skimmer stand is egg crate stacked up so you can play with different depths.
and dont feel bad, just the other day i turned off my return pump and forgot the skimmer first...
nice cup of nog right back in the tank..

LOL!! I figure I will be dong that a few more times. :D