Will this help Elmo?

Thank you Kevin Po they are doing very well 4 1/2 years old
    150 gallon reef all-glass, oceanic sump
    75 gallon SPS Clam all-glass, oceanic sump,CPR hang on Refugeum
    PFO light sets
    325 lbs live rock.AquaC skimmers,
    Mag drive pumps
    Clams,lots of fish,SPS,LPS, softies,Zoos,
    Lots of Pistol shrimps some mated pairs!

Blenny
    Oh Elmo......where art thou...lol

Copepod
    If i were to get a Black ocellaris clown and a normal orange ocellaris clown, would they breed? i kind of like the idea of getting two contrasting clowns, but i want to have a breeding pair.

commercial coral diver
    u can they make panda clowns look nice but hard to pair up
    ocellaris are easy to breed and should be able to get 200 400 babys off a good nest
    Last edited by morgan; 02-27-2010 at 02:50 AM.
    Australia: If you dont love it leave it
    200L stony reef

165L softy reef

500L Octopus tank with mixed reef and 2 damsels

Sea Urchin
    Quote Originally Posted by arman View Post
    If i were to get a Black ocellaris clown and a normal orange ocellaris clown, would they breed? i kind of like the idea of getting two contrasting clowns, but i want to have a breeding pair.
    They may or may not, it all depends on the fishes attitude towards each other. What does help is to find a LFS to where you can purchase say about 6-8 clownfish some black and some standard but all must be the same breed such as all Ocellaris clowns regardless of color. Make sure to get an even number as this also helps.

Next you put them all in a tank, just them no other fish and no other distractions such as corals and allow them to pair up. It will be completely up to the fish as to which ones pair up. So you may or may not get an orange one to pair up with a black one etc, etc. Once you have a pair or two then you sell or trade the others and keep the pair that you will use to breed.

Now that you have a pair you should keep them in there seperate aquarium and the aquarium should be kept in a low traffic area and the tanks should be kept waist height or head height. This helps keep the fish from always paying attention to the people and concentrate more on spawning.

Hope this helps and just to point out key things,

1. Buy the book Clownfishes by Joyce D. Wilkerson
    2. You need to have rotifers/phytoplanton/brine shrimp all ready to go before you start breeding.
    3. Seperate set up in a seperate room for the baby fish/fry to go into. Low traffic area. Lighting can be as simple as standard T5's from Home Depot or Lowes.
    4. Having a stable enviroment is of the utmost importance. If you're just starting out doing reef tanks you should probably wait to start breeding fish. Unless you've sucessfully breed FW fish before.
    5. Be ready to have losses and learn from them. Patience is the key, that and learning all that you can.
    Last edited by spllbnd2; 02-27-2010 at 10:23 AM.
    "It's an Edmonds kind of day" Hidden Content

Clownfish

Wow...I need to update this..

Quote Originally Posted by spllbnd2 View Post
    They may or may not, it all depends on the fishes attitude towards each other. What does help is to find a LFS to where you can purchase say about 6-8 clownfish some black and some standard but all must be the same breed such as all Ocellaris clowns regardless of color. Make sure to get an even number as this also helps.

Next you put them all in a tank, just them no other fish and no other distractions such as corals and allow them to pair up. It will be completely up to the fish as to which ones pair up. So you may or may not get an orange one to pair up with a black one etc, etc. Once you have a pair or two then you sell or trade the others and keep the pair that you will use to breed.

Now that you have a pair you should keep them in there seperate aquarium and the aquarium should be kept in a low traffic area and the tanks should be kept waist height or head height. This helps keep the fish from always paying attention to the people and concentrate more on spawning.

Hope this helps and just to point out key things,

1. Buy the book Clownfishes by Joyce D. Wilkerson
    2. You need to have rotifers/phytoplanton/brine shrimp all ready to go before you start breeding.
    3. Seperate set up in a seperate room for the baby fish/fry to go into. Low traffic area. Lighting can be as simple as standard T5's from Home Depot or Lowes.
    4. Having a stable enviroment is of the utmost importance. If you're just starting out doing reef tanks you should probably wait to start breeding fish. Unless you've sucessfully breed FW fish before.
    5. Be ready to have losses and learn from them. Patience is the key, that and learning all that you can.
    Looking for Stichodactyla gigantea in blue, purple, or green.

Brittle Starfish
    Hey Elmo, Are you back? long time no see/talk... how are you???
    Cesar [PSAS since 2002]
    75G AGA glass, Barebottom, 36 x 3 watt LED lighting, Softies and LPS.
    Hidden Content

Anthias
    What's up Elmo!
    It is good to see you responding again, I hope all is well with you. I look forward to learning some more here in your thread.
    If we ignore the environment
    maybe it will just go away....

Copepod
    ok, i joined the thread hope theres an update soon?

New Forum member!
    nice clowns!

Amphipod

dude,so what should i feed my maroon clown?? what anemone suitable for them?

Reef Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by vimal View Post
    dude,so what should i feed my maroon clown?? what anemone suitable for them?
    Vimal, dude.... did you read the entire thread, or just jump to the end of it and ask a couple basic questions? The information is available, throughout this thread.

I'd also suggest reading the many stickies, located in Lee Birch's Marine Fish Discussion forum, on feeding guidelines. http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/...splay.php?f=15

Since anemones really require a mature tank, taken care of by a fairly experienced hobbyist, I'd really suggest you do LOTS of research, prior to even considering getting an anemone. The first step, learn what to feed your Clownfish. The link provided above, will give you all kinds of good information.
    Please click underlined links for:
    Hidden Content

Please click underlined links for:
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Come Get To Know Us
    Hidden Content

Amphipod

thanks sid.what you said is true!! haha!!i'll make my move!

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1118192021

Thread Information