Premium Aquatics <----> Clear Fabrications
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: will return bubbles stop sps growth?

Hermit Crab

will return bubbles stop sps growth?

I've had a reduction in SPS and clam growth the past couple months and have been going through a checklist of what might have gone wrong. One of the differences in my system is a skimmer upgrade that introduces more bubbles into my system. Could this contribute to lack of growth of SPS and clams? The bubbles do seem to collect on the animals. Should I take action to completely eliminate these? If so, what's the best way to do so? I have a Bullet1 with a vinyl flexi hose return that goes right into the sump near the return pump intake. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! ~Shaun McMullin

Lionfish
    Hey Shaun

Normally I would say bubbles int he water column are not that big of deal, unless they are collecting on the animals, then it will irritate the coral somewhat. How long have you had the skimmer running? Maybe it needs a break in period? I would try to figure out how to reduce the bubbles to the point they don't accumulate on the animals. Bubbles are everwhere in the wild, as long as they aren't attaching to the animals, I think it is all fine.

New Forum member!

hi shaun, you could relocate the incoming water line from you skimmer so in enters the sump farther away from your return pump intake. home depot has barbed fittings and flexable hose to add onto what you have or make another one.if you bring it in in the same place that your tank enters the sump it should lessen the amount of bubbles reaching you return pump.

terry.

The Lone Reefer

I would say bubbles don't pose a big threat. I have had bubbles collect under one branch of an acropora and the coral started to grow around the bubble. I can't say for sure if it will slow things down.

Jon

reef madness
    I would check your water params esp. alk, calcium, magnesium, strontium and pH. Many times bubbles are more easily formed in poor water conditions, which would also account for the poor growth.

It is unlikely bubbles themselves are the cause.

Craig

Hermit Crab

lack of sps growth

A few months back I pulled half the crushed coral out of the bottom of my tank. Basically, I went down to the acrylic on one half of the tank. I came across a bunch of gray crushed coral and sand that had turned this dark color. This all was released into the system when I pulled the crushed coral out. I then put a bag of arragonite where the crushed coral used to be. The dark color kind of worried me so I brought it to someone to look at. Two sources said it was anaerobic bacteria. So, I think I released a bunch of anaerobic bacteria into my system. Ever since that day the sps have been struggling. . I have now done 3 20 gallone water changes. I suppose another h20 change would help. Has anyone had experiences such as mine? What happens when these bacterias are released into the system and why would they impact the sps like that?

Hermit Crab

sps

Tank is 75 gallon...

reeferwanted
    My guess would be that you lost part of your biological filtration and may have started another cycle, are your parameters in line? I agree that the bubbles should not be a big concern

Hermit Crab

par

measurements seem to be ok...
    ph- 9.15-9.35
    alk- 9-11 dkh
    calc- 400+/-
    temp- 80-82
    saln- 1.025 +/-
    currently i don't check others. does anyone have a metals test kit? maybe that would help. i dose reef builder, sea chem calc and reef complete and i drip kalk at night.

i thought i was doing the critters a favor adding the deep sand bed. they think otherwise. this hobby has so many ups and downs !

Enjoy the reef!

Shouldn't the pH be like 8.2-8.3.......
    Zack

Hermit Crab

ph

yeah, thank's zack. that was a typo. too many numbers to keep track of.

Brittle Starfish

Skimmer...

Hi Shaun,

From what I've read from the past threads, skimmer, if running its maximum efficiency suppresses growth of corals.

There was a study that was made a while ago about this.

They said that if you want to have corraline growth then you have to have maximu skimming but the drawback for this is the growth of corals.

Then if you want maximum growth of corals is that you lower down the efficiency of the skimmer but the drawback is that you will loose or stop corraline growth.

I will try to retrieve the source of that information and I will post it back here.

Cesar
    Cesar [PSAS since 2002]
    75G AGA glass, Barebottom, 36 x 3 watt LED lighting, Softies and LPS.
    Hidden Content

Enjoy the reef!

Wow, thanks for the info Cesar, however i have found it to be that when i don't skim my tanks my corraline growth is much faster then when i do. :?
    Zack

Goby

reeferwanted hit it on the head, i would give it awhile, you are going through a recycle. i did the same thing and the same thing happened and it took several months, but now things are great. you should still move your skimmer out flow tube to the chamber for the tank inlet to your sump, the bubbles probably don't hurt but who wants that many bubbles in their tank?

Hermit Crab

recession

Most of the animals are doing fine, however, some receded around the bases. The main problem now is the recession isn't stopping on all the colonies/frags. I guess the damage that was done to a few of them when the tank recycled is such that the animals can't bounce back fully. I've tried to keep the areas clean but recession continues on a few. Anyone had luck with lugols baths or other tricks to stop the slow tissue loss?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information