AirWaterIce <----> Sierra Fish & Pets
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Thread: Lets Talk About ~Reef Chemistry~

Brittle Starfish
    just my two cents.... here are my notes i always keep...

Washing soda from the grocery store is sodium carbonate, and would be a good way to raise the alkalinity and pH. Baking soda won't raise the pH.
    Bakign soda has a slight pH lowering effect. Washing soda has a large ph raising effect. Both raise alkalinity.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are two articles that describe what to do:

Solving Calcium and Alkalinity Problems
    http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm

Solutions to pH Problems
    http://www.advancedaquarist.com/iss...ne2002/chem.htm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kent Kalk = Calcium Hydroxide or Mrs. Wages pickling lime (will increase both your
    calcium and alkalinity equally)

Kent Turbo Calcium = Calcium Chloride or DOW Ice Melt (increase your calcium)

????? = Baking Soda Arm & Hammer Unscented (Raises Alkalinity)

Kent Super Buffer = Baking Soda/baked or Washing Soda (used to raise ph)

Epsom salts = Mg
    Pickling Lime = Ca
    Baking Soda = alk
    Sodium carbonate = alk & ph

I think pickling lime is CaOH - calcium hydroxide. Added to your tank it will increase both your calcium and alkalinity equally.

Dowflake is CaCl3 - calcium chloride. Added to your tank it will only increase your calcium

I suggest 380-450 ppm Ca++

2.5-4 meq/L (7-11 dKH)
    Cesar [PSAS since 2002]
    75G AGA glass, Barebottom, 36 x 3 watt LED lighting, Softies and LPS.
    Hidden Content

Amphipod

so Epsom salts raises your Mag ? and how much to add and do you mix sepretly in SW or direcly in the sump good thread guys im learning loads of info but the light bulb hasnt come on yet maybe my ballast is bad LOL
    Darell
    Come Join Us
    Hidden Content

Great White Shark
    Originally posted by fishermann
    Nikki Where do you find that in the laundry section? Just curious i don't need it, just never knew there was such a thing.
    Yes. The one thing I've read to watch out for is surfactants.

I've been racking my brain trying to find the information I'm looking for....I thought I had read at one point that Epsom salts are to be used in certain situations - that it's better to use them in conjunction with another product. I'm not sure about this, that's why my brain is on overdrive. LOL hopefully someone will relieve my confusion...lol
    Hidden Content
    ~Ironman~

Owner / Administrator
    Mike posted something about it on page two of this thread.

Great White Shark
    LOL - wait...let me check the color of my hair....yep appears to be blonde right now. Here is what he said on page one:

Getting Mag up is a bear, trust me I just went through this. 9 pounds of epson salts and 3 gallons of magnesium cloride later I got it back up where it belongs. I will never let that happen again.
    and on page 2

Sure, great way to suppliment your alk. Take 1 part washing soda (Na2CO3) and 6 to 8 parts baking soda (NaHCO3), and 1 tsp of this powder in 25 gal seawater will raise your alk by 5 dKh or 90PPM. Sodium Carbonate can actually be prepared in a kitchen oven by spreading the powder out on a sheet and baking it for a few hrs at around 250F, This drives off a molecule of water and of Carbon Dioxide to leave a molecule of Na2CO3 from 2 molecules of NaHCO3. The advantage of the mixture is the lack of sudding fluctuation in pH seen when using NaHO3 alone.
    Hidden Content
    ~Ironman~

Great White Shark
    In what situations would it be better to use Magnesium Sulfate (Epsom salts) as opposed to Magnesium Chloride? Or is it not a concern?
    Hidden Content
    ~Ironman~

Goby

Nikki and Darrell just before Mikes post i posted what i did, which Mike told me how to do. I brought my Mag up from the 980 level very easy with epsom salts doing it as per Mikes instructions then you maintain with mag chloride which is what i'm doing with the warner product. I did it on a 75 and a 60 which made it alot easier then on his ocean.
    john

Great White Shark
    OOOHHHHhh....so the Mag sulfate is to raise it and the Mag chloride is to maintain it. LOL - on Mike's ocean! Thanks for the clarification...all this chemistry, I think I sprained my brain!
    Hidden Content
    ~Ironman~

Reef Keeper
    Actually Nikki it doesnt work that way. I used the epson salt because it was really cheap, lol. you can use it but dont use to much as for every bit of magnesium you put in you also put in Sulfate. With the ammount of water I have it would have cost hundreds of dollars to raise it. So I cheaped out. If you can use the mag cloride it is better, but a bit of the epson wont hurt you to much.

Mike
    Mike O'Brien-Oceans by Design
    visit us in person:
    1055 Andover Park East
    Tukwila, WA 98188
    online:
    Hidden Content
    follow us:
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

Goby

Yeah Nikki as I understood it, the sulfate well raise it alot cheaper then the chloride well, just have to watch salinity.
    john

Owner / Administrator
    Good Ol Epson huh, what next!

Mantisfreak
    I have been dipping new frags in a solution of saltwater and Lugol's solution. I know that iodine/iodate/iodide is pretty strong stuff and I cringe when I hear that people dose it on a regular basis without testing for it.

Do you think that dipping is a good practice or is the unnaturally strong concentration hurting my coral in the long run?
    Please pause before hitting enter---being nice is free.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    My signature banner is mantis shrimp eyes....not alien boobies.

Village Idiot, NPIC

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Thread Information