Sierra Fish & Pets <----> Premium Aquatics
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Stomatopod (Mantis Shrimp) Workshop

Amphipod

Excellent, but where is the part of how to cought a mantis?

Brittle Starfish
    Ohhhhhhh that's how I got that injury on my hand...... my mantis look likes a cross between the first and the fourth one. I have not seen it in at least 3 months but I hear it when it is hungry or sparing with my yellow watchman goby over territory. The goby has retreated to the other side of the tank for now.
    Deb

I love my fish.Hidden Content Come Join Us
    Hidden Content
    55 gal. 2.5 gal.built in sump, CPR BAKPAK skimmer,70 lbs. live rock, charcoal

Brittle Star Britany
    wow that last video with the music in the background rocked.
    The coral doesn't grow any faster if you watch it, trust me Ive tried.

Brit

Go fly a kite
    Thanks for this thread! It's very interesting. I saw one at a fish store in Oregon over the summer and I was really in love with the little guy. I was standing there talking to him . I did get him to come out and see me. He was probably thinking I was nutso. Anywho I will def. follow this thread to gain more info!

Copepod

Okay, I just found this thread through a search query I just did because I just found 2 of the suckers in my tank last night. What is the best way to catch these things? So far I have read that the modified baited bottle works okay...any other suggestions on how to catch them? Also, one of them was carrying around a white object under its belly and was continuously tumbling/rotating it over and over under its belly. To me, it reminded me of a white maggot...this isn’t an egg sack is it???

Amphipod

nice. ok so what do look like when they are small.....cause.......i saw a little clear thing walking around on my live rock?? it was like brine shrimp size, maybe a tad bigger.
    probe dms country.

Brittle Starfish
    probably an amphipod, good
    Deb

I love my fish.Hidden Content Come Join Us
    Hidden Content
    55 gal. 2.5 gal.built in sump, CPR BAKPAK skimmer,70 lbs. live rock, charcoal

Copepod

I had a G. Scyllarus (peacock mantis) and he was so cool (could have been a she I never really tried to figure it out...respected its privacy) Anyway, he was about 6-8 inches long and when I brought him home he woke me from a dea sleep by smashing on the bottom glass of his tank...it was very loud! Overall I really liked having him. I found that using a piece of 3inch Y pvc was a great burrow. Prevented him from digging out under live rock and rocks toppling on him. He would watch us eat dinner also. Anyway just thought I would give a little extra info and I hope I didn't spoil future posts.
    Bryan

Ribbon worm
    Circular Polarized Light detection by Mantis Shrimp.

Check out this link for a Wired article on a recent publication describing detection of circular polarized light by mantis shrimp. Who knew???
    http://www.wired.com/science/discove.../shrimp_vision
    Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right--Robert Hunter.

Copepod

Correction...O. scyllarus...sorry...gotta stop posting when I am not thinking properly!

Mantisfreak
    I have had several PM's about this workshop. I even got a call from Nikki.

First things first.....I greatly apologize that I didn't finish this workshop in a timely manner. There are several reasons;

A) My mother is dieing
    B) I started a new LFS exactly 13 months ago today and I average 18 hour days.

I will try to finish this workshop shortly.

It is with great sadness that I have to report that Snuggles got sold last weekend. Even Dr. Roy said that he was one of the largest O.s.'s he's ever seen. I would have liked to have finished the workshop with pic's of him but it's going to have to be with my smaller female O.s. now. The rule in the store is that all employees are allowed to have a pet....but everything is for sale. However, the second rule is that you get to put the price on your pet. So, basically, a $60 mantis got sold for $280. (I figured no one would pay that...now I wish I would have priced him at $500). Just like Tyson (my Boston Terrier puppy) who runs around the store, Snuggles had his own following and it's interesting to see people's reactions when they see he's no longer there. BTW, he was the most spoiled, well fed mantis in the U.S. EVERYONE wanted to feed him.

So, again, sorry for the delay. I've re-injured my back and cannot handle 18 hour days anymore so I'll have time to finish this workshop.
    Please pause before hitting enter---being nice is free.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    My signature banner is mantis shrimp eyes....not alien boobies.

Village Idiot, NPIC

Do you digiscope?
    Wow, Barrier Reef has a peacock mantis. First time I have seen one in person and what a creature. The colors are gorgeous and the eyes. Sure looks like an alien. The one they have is about 6 inches long and sure looks like a killing machine. I have never seen an animal so interested in what is going on outside the tank and did I say check out the eyes.

Great speciman for a species only tank.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information