Marine Depot <----> BarrierReef
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Looking for the best Hang-on Skimmer

Copepod

Hi,

I have red algae and green I use ro water I have a tunze wavemaker and two power heads so confident the waterflow is fine, there is mileage in the lighting period though, red algae does not spread at night so half way there also no red or green algae under live rock in the shade. Im thinking of turning the lights off for a few days not sure what effect this will have but will let you know cant help thinking that there is more to this problem than that though.
    Food is fed on the light side to avoid waste, hermit crabs shrimps and bristle worms are no strangers in my tank so they are out and about looking for food daily, all the fish feed from hand green chromis x 6, carrabian blue and yellow tang x 1, clown fishs x 4 and purple firefish x 1.
    Interesting comment on the skimmer though I have a prizm hang on and just cleaned it out after I noticed a decline in performance on investigation it was found to be due to sludge around the impeller and I have attributed this to the increase in algae buildup also but unsure why as proteins gather in the upper 1/4 of water.
    Ive read about cleaning the red algae out daily but think this is a management process rather than a elimination of the root causes that old maxim springs to mind prevention is better than cure.
    I would appreciate your comments on the red algae as Ive been told that this is new tank syndrome but disagree.

Thanks in advance

Copepod

Hi Marinegeek101,

Apologies i read the comments you typed and answered above but neglected to answer your question directly so see below

I only clean the front as i have thousands of small fan worms on the sides and rear of the tank as well as carolline algae which has just started to bloom in lots of patches at long last. Not sure where these fan worms have come from they are small and white. I plan to leave the sides and rear covered in whatever grows on them as my tank is set within a recess I only have full vision from the front.

Grouper
    the prizm isnt helping, the light thing will help but only temp, as soon as you resum normal lighting the algae, will return,

2 sugsessfully kill the algea, you must take its food away

36" sunpod 2x150
    tunze 6085 N 6065
    120lb+Lr
    BB
    Aqua C REmora in sump

mIxed reef, softies, pora's, clams,
    1 Amphiprion ocellaris (hosting GTA)
    1 Zebrasoma scopas
    1 Premnas biaculeatus ( H. crispa?)

Copepod

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by burning2nd View Post
    the prizm isnt helping, the light thing will help but only temp, as soon as you resum normal lighting the algae, will return,

2 sugsessfully kill the algea, you must take its food away
    Hi,

You say the prizm isnt helping please explain why Im lucky in that i have a brand new aqua medic skimmer on standby just in case, on the onset of setting up i realized that the size of the tank and the skimmers ability was more than a close match so thought ahead in that respect.
    As i said in a comment above the proteins gather in the top 1/4 of water so whats the relationship between skimming and algae?

Thanks in advance.

SKIM FU
    sausage fingers, did you get this one???
    WATCH THIS VIDEO!
    Hidden Content

Copepod

Hi Skimerwhisperer,

Its the aqua medic multi sl looks almost identical it has the ocean runner 2500pump with it. I installed it last night and done the initial setting only to wake up and find no skimate in the collection cup so just tinkering around, i guess by your online name you know a bit about this kit maybe? if so any pointers as i said before the prizm seemed to be doing the job but after cleaning it, it seems to have lost some of its gusto.
    Im at work at the minute but hope to get home to find it cleaning away, i did read or hear from somewhere that they take time to bed in something to do with the newness of the acrylic assumes that the skimate adheres to side in which the proteins almost climbs up collection cup and then slides down into collection area to form the waste? sounds reasonable to me but no expert.
    Let me know your thoughts and experience and if thats the skimmer you use how do you find it?

Thanks in advance.

Reef Fanatic

I love my Aqua C Remora. I've recently added the pre-filter/surface skimmer box to mine and it's even better than ever....which was awesome to begin with!!

Copepod

Hi,

Just thought I would update my last comments, woke up this morning and hey presto skimmer working fine and its really cleaning out the junk now strangely the red algae has receaded also. I cut back even further on the feeding (see above comment) also so not sure if thats the reason why, still no comments regarding skimming and algae relationship guess there aint non then?

Thanks for looking and posting your comments

lifetaper

top skimmer

I.ve been instaling marine aquariums[on a profesional level]for about a year now and my pick would be the coralife needle wheel.Very versitale and easy to adjust,produusing a thick dark skim at a great price.I would go witth the biggest one they have[rated for 220 gallons]since someday you'll probably upgrade and wont have to purchace anoher skimmer.I've put it up against my 800 dollar Barr beckett skimmer and lets just say at about 200 dollars its the skimmer of the year.
    The other white meat

New Forum member!
    i have a red sea 33" tale to sell email me at casynada1@aol.com

New Forum member!
    im looking to sell mine redsea 33" tall

New Forum member!

ive got the deltec mce 300 and i love it get great results on my 50g sps tank,

Amphipod

Aquac Vs Prizm

I have the two of them

Prizm works ok but is not the Aqua C Remora Pro in if you give it enogh time to break

Now the Aqua C remora Pro is great skimmer, I have the pro with the mag 3 pump, the problem is the pump is too big So I had to but the overflow box, came with a bubble trap, to cover it the over flow box is at least 1/6 of my 55 galon tank.

About the funcion it will be fulling your tank for a 15 day break period but after once it kick it will be funcion perfectly and very powerfull.

from HO desing is the best

Prizme is ok but is not Remora

reef obsessed
    Here's my vote (in order of quality)

Deltec MCE300
    Remora Pro
    Remora

A Tunze DOC internal skimmer would be tops on my list but technically it's not a hang-on, it's a hang-in.

Proud Hidden Content member

Hidden Content

Tank: 40g mixed reef - orbit 192watt pc 10k/03, aquac remora, 2 tunze nanostream 6025's, acjr controller, ro/di, randy's 2-part
    Corals: monti cap, frogspawn, hammer, candy cane, toadstool, kenya tree, neon green sinularia, xenia, gsp, zoas, shrooms

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information