Premium Aquatics <----> Sierra Fish & Pets
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wiring & Electrical Design & Safety!

Mantisfreak
    Please pause before hitting enter---being nice is free.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    My signature banner is mantis shrimp eyes....not alien boobies.

Village Idiot, NPIC

R.I.P.

Thanks for the link. Perfect timing for my next project.

Don

Life is A Highway...
    Ok, I need help please. I am planning on Running two external pumps. The pumps being a Sequence Stingray and Dolphin Aqua Sea 2100. Will I be able to run both pumps with my 2-250 Metal halides on one circuit?
    Trying to help everyone to make this hobby as enjoyable as possible without any Drama!Hidden Content

MCMAC

Hidden Content

Change how you see....
    Not how you look.
    B.G.

Owner / Administrator
    Typically, if this was the only items on that one circuit, I'd say your fine but there are several things to consider.
    A) Breaker size?
    B) Any other equipment, home lighting, etc on this circuit?
    C) Wire size from breaker to the outlet box, 14 Gauge or 12G?
    D) Total current rating, adding amperage of each device, we know you have two 250W MH lights, so approximately total would be (using Ohm's Law) 2.0833Ampers each, depending on the efficiency of the ballast. So thoes two would be slightly over 4 amps, start-up amperage on these two could surge as high as 12 amps if both started Exactly the same time. I didn't look up your pumps but guessing about another 4 amps, total load would be around 9 amps on these 4 items alone, surging around 27 amps if all started at once, depending on the actual device, don't panic, circuit breakers are designed to handle these rush amperages for a short period of time, a 20 amp breakers may take a 50 amp rush/surge for a very short time, so you actually could probably have more on the circuit, I try and stick to the 80% total amperage of breaker rating, so if you add up all of your equipment amperage, don't exceed 80% of the breaker and you should be plenty safe. Usually in a home most circuits are designed with 80% in mind, kitchens maybe 60% 70% of the breakers, because of the potentially high loads.

Life is A Highway...
    Thanks Scooty,
    I am looking into running a few more independant circuits from my breaker box. I have the room on my breaker box. I see you recommend 14 g. or 12 g wiring for this. I may run the wire myself and have a electrician do the final steps. I figured that would be cheaper in the long run. Do I need to have this inspected to be legal?
    Trying to help everyone to make this hobby as enjoyable as possible without any Drama!Hidden Content

MCMAC

Hidden Content

Change how you see....
    Not how you look.
    B.G.

Owner / Administrator
    You may want to check for the local codes, or ask your friend and let him suggest the best route in doing this project. If your running any new wire get the 12g romex, and I like the Cutler Hammer or the Siemens over the rest, Cutler Hammer IMO is one of the best, we use the Industrially for years with no troubles.

Life is A Highway...
    Noted...Thanks Scooty,
    One Dolphin 2100, One Sequence Stingray 1/4 hp pump, 2 -250 SE MH, 1- 250 HQI, 1 HQI pendant with fans (I hope), one 1/4 horse chiller, one 25 watt UV, 2 small fans, 2- 3/4 inch Sea Swirls, one power head for movement for UV, Euroreef CS8-2 skimmer, controller, and ? ...Do you see why I am sweating?

MCMAC

Hidden Content

Change how you see....
    Not how you look.
    B.G.

Owner / Administrator
    i know we can load a breaker very fast with a reef. I need to do some math but maybe I can try and take in consideration of about 80% load and see how much wattage is the limits on a 20 amp breaker, I'll post this as soon as I get a break at work.

Life is A Highway...
    Scooty,
    Wife's Uncle came over. He is a electrician. He thinks two 20 amp isolated circuits should do the trick.
    Yes he is running 12 guage wire. I had my little notebook. lmao. I thought about running two GFIs. I was warned about chillers shuting down and blowing a circuit. So I am thinking I will run thee plug in GFIs. One GFI for Chiller, One for pumps, One for Lighting etc.
    So what do you think?
    Thanks in Advance,
    Ed

MCMAC

Hidden Content

Change how you see....
    Not how you look.
    B.G.

Owner / Administrator
    Wife's Uncle came over. He is a electrician. He thinks two 20 amp isolated circuits should do the trick.
    Yes he is running 12 guage wire.
    Sounds like what I'd do. Ask him if you could install two 20A AFCI (Arc Fault Circuit Interrupters) at the breaker box. Now at the other end where your tank is located I'd run one of the circuits to a box with a series of two or four outlets, all wired with 12g wire. On the second circuit I'd run a box with two GFCI outlets, maybe four, let him decide that. This way, you can run your Chiller, lights with only the AFCI breakers and be well protected. The heater, pumps ect you want anything that goes in the water on the GFCI outlets, these will have the bonus benefit of the AFCI at the breaker box & the GFCI at the tank, this way you will be protected from Arc fires & being shocked. Pass that on to him & let me know what he thinks, I know it may sound overkill but I think it will be well worth the extra cash & done with period.

New Forum member!

Simple wiring question

If I have a 10W self-balasted pc light bulb that screws into an incandescent socket, do I need the three prong cord (grounded I assume). If not what does grounded mean and how do I do it. I have it wired to a two prong cord, but I am a little nervous to plug it in. Also, how do I know which is positive and negative when I cut the cord? Sorry for the basic question but my corals thanks you in advance.

Owner / Administrator
    Welcome to reef Frontiers NZbound!

I'm not clear on exactly what your doing, I'm guessing the three prong for the incandescent socket & your screwing in the pc into it (the pc is like one of those curly fluorescents right?). For safety grounding is always important, if your lamp socket doesn't have a ground I wouldn't cut it to add one the pc is designed to work that way, but like I said I'm not sure what your trying to do. If you can take a pic let me see what your doing that will help, also don't concern the polarity of the wiring, you will have a hot & neutral but these lamps should work regardless of how it is wired.

New Forum member!
    Sorry.. My camera is being borrowed, but I can explain.

here is the bulb
    http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merch...Coralifepcbulb

I basically took an old space heater and cut the cord off. It has only the two prongs on the cord. Then I went to ACE hardware and bought a normal light socket. I wired it up and screwed the socket into a canopy I built for my aquarium. I then screwed the bulb into the socket. I already lost one light bulb and I'm not sure if it is the wiring problem (i.e. Not having a grounded cord) or perhaps just shorted out die to salt spray from the tank. Because it has only been installed for a week, I thought it might have been a wiring problem.

Thank you for giving me your input, I have been stressing over this for a couple days. Also, thanks for the welcome to reef frontier

Owner / Administrator
    I thought so, cool lamp for a small tank. You need to keep moisture from the socket otherwise your asking for problems, that lamp doesn't require a ground, most lamps don't. Insulate the lamp socket well somehow, be careful because water and open wiring can electrocute you that is where water & GFCI's are necessary for your safety.

New Forum member!
    Scooter-
    Thanks again. I think you've helped me straighten out my problems. Now you can get on to more stimulating problems!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information