AirWaterIce <----> Marine Depot
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Post your Questions, Ideas or suggestions here!

chris
    I live in Seattle and am wondering if anyone out there can make a recommendation re: where to go to have my 5 lb co2 tank filled? also, any idea how much this costs?
    thanks.

Staff Housemonkey

Look in the yellow pages for welding supply companies. I usually fill two 5 lb co2 tanks up for about $35 here in StL.

Nick
    "Chaos, confusion, despair...my work is done here."
    ...Some guy named Murphy....

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend
    will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

chris
    great. thank you.

chris
    First off, i'll apologize if i'm not posting this question in the most ideal forum. i'm still learning how to navigate this site.

i am setting up a ca reactor system and am searching for a place to fill my 5 lb co2 canister. a few welding shops i contacted said they 'exchange' co2 canisters. that is, they won't fill mine specifically, but swap me out for a filled canister. is this standard procedure or should i look for a place that will fill my canister? anyone from seattle who would recommend a place?
    i've heard a few folks warn against filling your co2 from a welding shop (vs. restaurant supply shop) b/c of potential contaminants that can be introduced into your system. any validity to this concern?
    thanks.
    chris

Sea Urchin
    Yes that is the standard procedure.

Staff Housemonkey

Thats typical here in StL too. Try looking in the yellow pages for other Welding Supply shops that will fill yours. It will take longer if you want to keep yours, but they generally have both aluminum and steel tanks, so swapping out for whatever one you have isnt that big a deal. I just swap mine out.

Nick
    "Chaos, confusion, despair...my work is done here."
    ...Some guy named Murphy....

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend
    will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

New Forum member!

just buying equipment

we are setting up a 110 gal tank and dont know anything about it. we need to know the equipment we need and what size. anyone with any suggestions. we are wanting coral and anenames.thanks

Reef Fanatic

Hi Matt and Beth! Great to see your username!! Try posting this in the New to Reefkeeping forum and start your own thread. You'll get a lot more traffic and great advice!! Also, read all the stickies on the forums, at the tops!!

Here's the New to Reefkeeping forum http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/...play.php?f=124
    Please click underlined links for:
    Hidden Content

Please click underlined links for:
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Come Get To Know Us
    Hidden Content

Copepod

Should we use bio balls or not... Some places they say yes to them and others say keep away. Being new to this (only one year in) I want to know if I'm doing this right or not... please help.
    Thanks.

R.I.P.

Quote Originally Posted by acclnz View Post
    Should we use bio balls or not... Some places they say yes to them and others say keep away. Being new to this (only one year in) I want to know if I'm doing this right or not... please help.
    Thanks.
    It depends on the type of system. Not to be rude but I'd do a little reading on basic reef chemistry. The bioballs are great and work fantastic for a fish only system that can tolerate nitrates.

Don

RF STAFF
    Quote Originally Posted by acclnz View Post
    Thanks.
    Welcome to RF! . As Don suggested, unless you aren't concerned with nitrates, then bio-balls are good to use like in fish only systems, but if nitrates are something you want to keep down to nothing (like in a reef setup or if you want to avoid nuicance algae growth) then you want to skip them. The end result of anything in a highly oxygenated environment will equate to elevated nitrate levels over time as the end product of say a wet/dry where bio-balls are commonly used is nitrates. With that said, here is a section you may want to check out dedicated to members like yourself new to the hobby New To Reefkeeping. Post up whatever questions and concerns you have there and we'll be sure to walk you through them.
    Hidden Content

Come Join Us
    Hidden Content

Have you helped a fellow reefer today??

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information