Marine Depot <----> Sierra Fish & Pets
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: any success with this fish?????????????

New Forum member!

any success with this fish?????????????

going on my fifth or sixed of these cleaner wrasses usually buy one or two at a time.... longest one i have had lived 3 weeks AND ate prepared foods then mysteriously died...and other ones where missing after the first or second day...

bought 2 today ONE is already missing and the other LOOK good right now and LOOKS LIKE its eating parasites off fish..
    anyone no the secret to keeping them?????????

Attachment 18961
    Last edited by babyuu; 01-05-2007 at 10:02 PM.

See Anemaknee
    The secret is to leave them in the ocean. The cleaner wrasse is a bad fish for the aquarium.
    *If guns kill people, spoons make Michael Moore fat.

Reef Enthusiast
    Have you tried cleaner shrimp? Just a thought.
    MCSInc~Jud~n~Candy Hobbs

90 Gal tank for harvesting my rose anemones also has 2 clowns (from BigT), velvet damsel, chromis and engineer gobie

120 Gal w/30 Gal Refugium, sump w/mangrove garden, DSB, MH, LPS & SPS (NO ROSES) Tangs (hippomus, chevron, sailfin), Angels (bi-colored, coral beauty, eibli, flame), flasher wrasse, engineer gobies and a large rabbit fish

Generator: Guardian 16K auto standby... 110+ hrs out of power since 11/16/06

New Forum member!

i got a colony of cleaners like 7 or 8....

listen i agree that they should be left on the reef BUT the stores carrys them..

they going to die anyway...

just wondering if it needs something symbolic in the tank besides fish to eat parasites off for a better success rate..

Free your mind
    The longest i had a cleaner wrasse was for four months,they dont survive in captivaty well and yes they will eat the parasites,but not ick some will knock off
    black spot on tangs and worms on fish that i've seen.But as for its life span its short three weeks at the most.I call them the throw away fish,sorry
    *On The Fifth "Day"
    Yeah five thousand years*Hidden Content

As for this sea so great and wide, There are moving things without numbers living creatures,small as well as great.

Has Met Willis
    It seems you've gotten all the advice you should need. I just thought I'd say it more politically correct, since I'm practicing that nowadays.

The cleaner wrasse has a notoriously low survival rate in captivity. This fish is among the list of fishes that we, as hobbyists, should steer away from in hopes that collectors will stop collecting (and thereby killing) this fish.
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

"To be honest i'm a dirty woman." - Spongebob Lover

lifetaper

african cleaner wrasse

Ive had a african cleaner wrasse in my tank for over a year,and has ate a food made by a frend of mine,he wont share his resapie butt its green and he says it was made from a study on gut contentof reef fish and is made of what reef fish would eat on any given day.All my fish love it.This study found thatt even though different fish[predatory,vegatarian,or boh they all end up with the same thing in tthe end,meaning the end product.Meat eating fish get algae by eating fish with algae in their stomache,and algae eatting fish get protein[fat]from amphapods also grazeing on the algae,and so on and so on.Long story short as long as u can get them to eat prepared foods,than you should have no problem,just add some sort of vitamin supplemt to the food itt will eat.I think your next purchace should be a quaranteen tank and nott another cleaner
    The other white meat

I'm A Reefoholic!!!
    This fish belongs in the ocean
    Shaun

I have learned something new in this hobby every day since 1978 Only to discover I could be wrong!Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

marine67
    Can i just say that i have had 2 cleaner wrasse for the past two years and they love the tank they hide at night in little holes in the rock work and come out in the morning they are eating fine and they clean the fish as well i had found out by this site that i had a floating clear sack every morning which i now know that the wrasse produce when they hide to cover there scent at night from preditors. so i think they are cool just my 2 cent worth.
    Come Join Us
    Hidden Content
    To see how rich you are count the things you have now that you cannot buy.Hidden Content

Copepod
    Can you not buy these tank bred somewhere?
    Matt

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Come Join Us

Hidden Content Hidden Content

Hermit Crab

To my experiences, cleaner wrasses live a short time due too not enough foods for and as well, you not want to house more then one for depending on your tank, you can manage a cleaner for a good amount of time and not just a few weeks. Also if you not need one, then just don't buy one for your tank for the same thing with housing these cleaners with eels, in a home aquarium it is not required as if out in the wild. So perhaps if your no success with the wrasse cleaner, then perhaps move over too the cleaner shrimp, they survive far better. Myself when I had a cleaner wrasse, survived a number of months.

Fish lover
    we have had ours for over a year. it eats regular food and looks very healthy. however i should add that if i would have read about their survival rate i would have never of bought him
    Shannon & Lisa Hidden Content

Hermit Crab

One can never take it that just because due to others misfortune in not able to keep the cleaner wrasse for long that it not means that no one can. So one can never base what success they would have from someones elses not so successful attempts to keep this fish.

RF STAFF
    listen i agree that they should be left on the reef BUT the stores carrys them..

they going to die anyway...

just wondering if it needs something symbolic in the tank besides fish to eat parasites off for a better success rate..
    Just a thought...The fact that the LFS carries them and you keep purchasing them, will only cause them to keep them in stock. In most cases, they don't care if the fish dies in your care. All they care about is making that extra buck by selling it to you. I think if a person feels a particular fish should be left on a reef due to their survival rate in captivity being low, then they should not purchase them from the LFS anymore which will in turn force the LFS to resort to not stocking them anymore seeing no-one will buy them. Just my 2 cents...
    Hidden Content

Come Join Us
    Hidden Content

Have you helped a fellow reefer today??

Hermit Crab

krish75, in all reality, the lfs for the most of them only care about making money no matter even that the fish will be doomed and yes, the lfs wouldn't get them in if they not sell any, but the difficult thing about that is, with all the different hobbyists they will always sell them. The last time I used one was about nine to ten years ago. For like there be many who buy the very same fish a number of times in a year time frame, as they know about this and yet will sell to get the live stock out of their stores.

Buddy

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information