BarrierReef <----> AirWaterIce
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Let's Talk About ~Reefkeeping Dangers~

Great White Shark
    Thanks, tom! Are there a couple of points worth mentioning here? (or anyone that has it)
    Hidden Content
    ~Ironman~

Reality; an open mind
    Hi Nikki,

There are but I'll need to have access to the article (which is at home) to relay the points. I'll post later today... if I remember

Tom
    110G OBD cube with programmable A8 LED from BR

minimum wage,maximum rage
    Here's something relative.

bioactive agents in corals
    Last edited by Al G.; 05-02-2004 at 02:33 AM.
    I have a tivo built in my head.

Great White Shark
    Al - awesome link! There appears to be some potential for new cancer fighting drugs in the marine environment. I watched my mom go through many different chemotherapies, and it will be nice if the ones mentioned in the article make it to FDA approval.

I wanted to mention about bristleworms....I know they may be cute, but petting one of these fuzzy guys will give you a good sting in the finger.

Here is an article on Lionfish Envenomations and the Aquarist

Another article I'll point out is on Venomous Corals: The Fire Corals Here is a quote:

Although it can be quite painful, a sting from Fire coral is rarely dangerous unless accompanied by an allergic reaction or anaphylactic shock. In fact, the most serious effects seen after extensive stings are possible nausea and vomiting for two to three hours afterwards. The sting caused by these animals is a result of the injection of a water-soluble, heat affected, proteinaceous toxin. The discharged nematocysts cause small welts on the skin with red lesions around the raised areas. Swelling, blisters, and pus-filled encystations may occur soon after being stung. However, all symptoms generally disappear after 24 hours. If stung, treatment consists of a breakdown of the protein by soaking the affected area in hot water, swabbing the welts with vinegar, or applying a paste of meat tenderizer. After initial treatment, topical anesthetics may be applied to ease the burning sensation. It may also ease suffering to repeatedly issue forth numerous expletives in a loud voice.
    Hidden Content
    ~Ironman~

Great White Shark
    Stomatopods are gaining in popularity for species tanks, and I thought I'd mention them here. Mantis species come in either Spearer and Smasher variety. Either one can really hurt your fingers and/or hand (plus the potential of a secondary bacterial infection) if you disturb them.

The following quotes are taken from: Secrets of the Stomatopod - Raptorial Appendages. There is a picture showing the difference in the different appendages.

The earliest stomatopods with raptorial appendages (“raps”) were “spearers,” with sharp barbs on their raps used to impale fish, shrimp, or other soft-bodied prey. Spearers are lightning-fast: it takes only two milliseconds (2/1000 of a second) for a spearer to extend its rap! In contrast, the blink of an eye is 100 milliseconds. The strike is similar to that of the insect praying mantis, which earned the stomatopods their common name of mantis shrimp, but the stomatopod strike is at least 10 times faster.
    If a smasher were the size of a human, the force of its “punch” would be equivalent to a small caliber gun!
    Hidden Content
    ~Ironman~

Amphipod

The cone snails look like conch's. Scary

minimum wage,maximum rage
    I don't if you guys are old enough to remember Hawaii 5-O, you still can catch in syndication, in one episode the killer uses a cone snail to kill his victims. He takes them out of the fish tank, commits his crime and then returns it to the fish tank, therefor hiding the murder weapon, or so he thought.
    No one fools McGarrett. Book'em Danno!
    I have a tivo built in my head.

Great White Shark
    NO WAY!!! I don't remember the show, but wow!
    Hidden Content
    ~Ironman~

Mantisfreak
    LOL....I never thought of that. I've alway used blue-ring octopus.
    Please pause before hitting enter---being nice is free.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    My signature banner is mantis shrimp eyes....not alien boobies.

Village Idiot, NPIC

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information