Clear Fabrications <----> AirWaterIce
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567

Thread: Lets Talk About ~Filtration Concepts~

Owner / Administrator
    Mike, the boyz at the LFS are going Nutz over their MM systems. The Marine Biologist there claims that reefing and being a biologist doesn't work, he is both. He has his MM system up for 5 years, beautiful, no skimming, he replaces 1/4 each year and all half of it every other year. He says he has no phosphates, he hardly ever cleans off his glass. He ask me if I test for phosphates, because I was getting a little problem of having to clean my glass every two or three days. I ask him how can you test for Organic phosphates, (he just got quiet), then he told me he could get me a tester for about $80 so said would test it. I felt a little fumed but kept quite, thinking I need someone like Mike to help me LOL! Seems like the MM system although are a little expensive are working out better than the DSB maybe. They are also trying out this new Liquid Phosphate remover, claimed it is the best Yet. I told him to test it for me & maybe in 5 or so years I'll try it, because of the way it works binding up like that, to me still needs to be removed, short term ok but eventually it will catch up, I'd think so?

Amphipod
    Interesting reading.

Hi Sue, sorry to hear about some problems with that beautiful tank.

My turf scrubber experience is somewhat similar. Seems no matter what size tank I ran my large scrubber on, it did better when running my large beckett skimmer also.
    Doug

35g mixed cube..150w Phoenix HQI/Reef Optix/Galaxy..25g sump w/SWC 120 cone skimmer & OR 2500 return..Reefkeeper 2 controller.. two MP 20,s..10yr. old mated percs..5yr. old PJ cardinal..spotted mandarin..various shrimps, snails, crabs.

Mackerel

My turf scrubber experience is somewhat similar. Seems no matter what size tank I ran my large scrubber on, it did better when running my large beckett skimmer also.
    Doug, I'd be grateful if you'd elaborate with more details about your ATS, how you used it and for how long, and what you thought of it.

Amphipod
    As long as its ok to expand on it here. I did not want to derail the topic at hand or does turf scrubbing fit in here.
    Doug

35g mixed cube..150w Phoenix HQI/Reef Optix/Galaxy..25g sump w/SWC 120 cone skimmer & OR 2500 return..Reefkeeper 2 controller.. two MP 20,s..10yr. old mated percs..5yr. old PJ cardinal..spotted mandarin..various shrimps, snails, crabs.

Great White Shark
    Doug, sounds good. Algae Turf Scrubbing is a filtration method....and would fit in well. If you could touch on the concept of how it works.
    Hidden Content
    ~Ironman~

Amphipod
    Well, I am not an expert at explaining all the theory regarding turf scrubbing, but here is some.

The idea is using turf algae versus the calerpa type refugium algae. The turf algae is a different composition and said to better at absorbing dissolved nutrient, {ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, phosphate and some metals}, from the water and yet, not spreading to the main tank. Its also based on a back & forth motion to the algae, plus exposure to oxygen, again as compared to submersed calerpa types. It also involves lighting the algae at night to keep the tanks oxygen levels up.

Mine is the commercial unit, that was once sold by a company mentioned in the attached thread. I bought it slightly used from a USA reefer, but it arrived with the body smashed to bits. We built a glass body for it. Ugly, but functions the same.

Mine has a 24in. by 10in. turf screen. Its lit by a pair of 55w pc,s and dumps about once or twice a minute, depending on how large the feed pump is.

Although rated for 250g, I found it could not keep up to my 225, without skimmer assistance. Now that could be my over feeding or whatever, but still a fact. We have played with it on smaller tanks, but perhaps not enough to draw a conclusion. During this move time for me, {in between tanks, }, a friends running it on his heavy load 180. Despite heavy skimming, he has some algae problems, including bubble algae. The scrubber appears to be helping.

I would assume one could run a properly set up tank, with a decent load and little or no live rock, on a turf scrubber alone. I think one of the problems with my 225, was although high flow, the amount of rock was limiting it a fair bit.

If its ok, here is a link to a dandy scrubber thread on Eric Borneman,s forum at RC.
    {sheez. I cant make the link work. DOH.}. Its a 6 pager called ATS on Erics forum, if someone can link it from a search. Very good thread, including lots of pics and reference,s to Adeys books on it. And some good explanations of why truf algae?

The pic here is one of the new unit.
    Last edited by Flatlander; 04-14-2004 at 03:30 PM.
    Doug

Amphipod
    Pic of turf screen during the dump.
    Doug

Mackerel

Doug, thanks for responding. Could you guess what your flow through the scrubber was, and what was the flow relative to the display tank volume? Do you intend to include an ATS in future set-ups? If not, what style tank do you think you will be moving towards?

I've figured a way to surge an ATS mounted below the tank using my RCSD, which surges over 10% of the display tank volume. Doing it that way makes the setup simple enough - relative to how my system is already plumbed - to be attractive to me to try. So that may be the next modification of my little experimental reef tank. Thanks in advance for anything else you or other ATS users have to offer from your experience.
    Howard

Amphipod
    Howard,
    I fed the scrubber with a Hagen 800 ph. Posting here and re-reading the long thread on RC, got me thinking about flow again. I posted there again, so someone wont have to search for the thread. I was wondering if perhaps if more flow over the screen, would help the scrubber maintain a larger tank.

Wish I could link it for you. There are several pics and posts on scrubbers being set up and used as you wish to do.

Yes, I will use the scrubber again, on my future tank. I have to much inversted in it, to give it away or let it sit in the corner. However as I mentioned in my first post on this thread, I would likely still run a skimmer. Not that I want to but I see to much benefit from one.

I may set up a 280 I have access to, but depends where I move to and what my wife lets me put it. Also thinking of doing a standard 120 and trying to filter it only with the scrubber. One would think it would handle a talk that size with ease.

Lets try a link again,

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...referrerid=186
    Last edited by Flatlander; 04-14-2004 at 05:47 PM.
    Doug

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567

Thread Information