BarrierReef <----> Marine Depot
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bleaching Live rock

Hermit Crab
    Hello;

I probably have them -- I looked at my rocks one night with a red light --- led works good in the place of the bulb in a small mag light.

I got worms and more worms, things crawling around everywhere and my Coral Banded Shrimp eating what it can catch. I stopped looking.

IMHO

Before I killed my rock and tank with bleach --- I would try hyposalinity first --- It will kill most everything in the tank but worms and algae.

Here is a link with some information for those who need to know:
    http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/bp/index.php

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"It has to be right, I read it somewhere!"

"OFM"

Enjoy!

OFM

New Forum member!

Thank you for pointing this helpful thread out, I will review these tips to get my rocks ready before putting them in my tank.

Surgeonfish
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffmit View Post
    Thank you for pointing this helpful thread out, I will review these tips to get my rocks ready before putting them in my tank.
    http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/...hing-lr-66831/

New Forum member!

Yes, mfinn. I will use these tips to bleach my coral (that is already dead) to clean it before putting it into my new tank.

Hermit Crab

so the hyposalinity trick will NOT kill bacteria?? or just not worms?

GS

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmit View Post
    Yes, mfinn. I will use these tips to bleach my coral (that is already dead) to clean it before putting it into my new tank.

Copepod
    I know it is a long time. A very long time.
    I would just put the stone in a separate tank and heat it to more than 104 degrees for 24 hours.
    Of course the most in and on the stone will die so the stone has to be cured with start up bacteria in another tank preferably with circulation and skimmer. Phosphate reduction may be good to.

Surgeonfish
    That can be dangerous.

Copepod
    As long as you remove all the corals and other bigger animals i dont see a risk.
    Of course you have to be extremly careful if you have Palythoa or Protopalythoa.

RF Staff
    Heat can build in the pores of the rock to higher temperatures than those external. This can cause the rock to crack or burst.... in a tank, that can be a disaster regardless of the risk with palytoxin
    -Stacey
    30 gallon nem tank /60 gallon softie tank/75 mixed reef /5 gallon pico (work tank)
    Hidden Content

Copepod
    That risk would only be theoretical. I do not see any risk for such a fast bacterial build up.
    And the stones in the warm tank will not have a fancy bacteria build up. They are just lying there a day to get warmth from the outside.
    I have used the method several times to get rid of Aiptasia. Copepods and Amphipods did die. I just let the stone cool down and back in the tank.
    If you only treat a minor part of the stone in the tank there is no change in coral behavior or chemical values.

RF Staff
    Yes, since I've WATCHED rock crack and and burst at temperatures much less than boiling, but apparently you haven't, it must just be a theory.
    -Stacey
    30 gallon nem tank /60 gallon softie tank/75 mixed reef /5 gallon pico (work tank)
    Hidden Content

Copepod
    104 degrees is far from boiling. I have personally have had that temperature and more several times. (Last time it was Palytoxin poisoning). But of course i do not put the warm stones directly in a "live" tank.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information