Marine Depot <----> Premium Aquatics
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lets Talk about ~Algae~

electrolyte addict
    what kind of sauce do like your happy shrimp with?
    Dan McGuire

A piece of the Reef!

Algae alternatives

So......now we understand that there are bad side effects to algae...not good for SPS as I clearly understand in my own tank now. I also have a protein skimmer but it does not take out all the bad stuff. What else is used to filter out harmful elements and chemicals besides a protein skimmer and algae?
    I was using Carbon to filter my water. I read in the "Marine Atlas 1" that we should at use it for 7 days and then off for 14 days. I have read some people in "Ultimate Marine aquariums" run carbon all the time because of the Coral chemical warefare. I use the 7 and 14 approach because my soft corals don't like it when I use carbon for more than one week. I suppose you could use it all the time for an SPS only. I am trying for a variety because I like a variety even though it can be more challenging to keep softies and hard corals together.

So from you experts out there in the deep blue....tank. What are our alternatives?

Kyle

Reef Keeper
    Kyle I dont think thier is a black and white answer to that question. I have been doing this for a bit, and cant think of anything that will be totally effective and removing all of the byproducts of algae and/or soft corals. Its more of a location and proximity type of thing.

Mike
    Mike O'Brien-Oceans by Design
    visit us in person:
    1055 Andover Park East
    Tukwila, WA 98188
    online:
    Hidden Content
    follow us:
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

Mantisfreak
    Kyle,

Your question sparked a new poll on Carbon >>here<<.
    Please pause before hitting enter---being nice is free.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    My signature banner is mantis shrimp eyes....not alien boobies.

Village Idiot, NPIC

Great White Shark
    How about methods of controlling nuisance algae?
    Hidden Content
    ~Ironman~

Owner / Administrator
    This is a great time to discuss How do we get rid of the unwanted Algae.

For real, we need to start simple & then we need to dig deep because we all hate it, unless we're using it purposely.

Reef Keeper
    Good direction Scott. For me the bes way to get rid of Algae is to kill its food source. This mean limiting and eliminating nutrients in our tanks. We can talk a bit about the methods used in order to do that to.
    One of the big things forget about is LR. Lr naturally produces detritus through bacterial action. this detritus is a favorite of algae and algae will quickly form in crevices and collection points on the LR. Once the algae forms thier, it has a constant supply of nutrients that is hard to interupt. Making sure your rocks are blown clean and this detritus is not allowed to stay thier is critical.

MIke
    Mike O'Brien-Oceans by Design
    visit us in person:
    1055 Andover Park East
    Tukwila, WA 98188
    online:
    Hidden Content
    follow us:
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

Owner / Administrator

Step One!

I think this is one problem I'm facing with my LR, I need a better way or
    maybe a better turkey blaster to clean these rock surface areas. I sometime use a PH but thoes don't seem to
    have enough focused water to do an effective job, I've even hooked up a 900GPH pump to blow the LR, I guess I could of tried some modified hose narrowed down to make more pressure. I use to turkey baster, with sharp direct blows I can clean the surface area well, but the problem Is cramping hands & a baster full of water. I'm open to better ways or designs on blowing these rocks. The thing is we need an efficient way of doing it, & a way it is also practical. This would be a major batter on problematic algae's, we need a motor scooter blaster, with a long flexible hose attached that won't spew water all over & is easy to save up until next cleaning.

Mantisfreak
    Yup,

Keepin' those rocks clean is definately key. I like turkey basters for spot cleaning but I also like to get most of the detritus off with a powerhead....it just seems faster.

Beyond that, overfeeding is problematic as it loads the system with excess fish waste, uneaten food, etc. That means a corresponding rise in Phosphates and Nitrates. Algae likes both of those things so keeping them down is important. If you have an abundance of those, you're gonna have algae regardless of how many herbivores you put into your tank. We've already discussed how some algae fragments if it is eaten. Some algae spores go right through the digestion track of a critter and spread in that manner.

In my mind, we have to attack algae on several fronts.

Limit Nutrients....take care of the Phosphates in your food and never overfeed.
    Keep it clean....Keep your LR clean and don't allow waste to break down in the tank.
    Export Nutrients....in spite of limiting the inputs of nutrients, we are adding them every time we feed. Keep your skimmer in tip-top shape to export as many DOCs, Phosphates, detritus, etc.
    Please pause before hitting enter---being nice is free.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    My signature banner is mantis shrimp eyes....not alien boobies.

Village Idiot, NPIC

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information