Sierra Fish & Pets <----> Premium Aquatics
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: cptbjorn's 3g Cube Pico

Copepod
    well, it is definately a sweet looking tank. one more question.... how much water do u change out and how often?

Amphipod

I try to do a 1g change (~40% of actual water volume) every week but it looks fine up to 2 weeks. I bet I could get away with smaller changes or longer intervals at this point but I don't plan to find out, 1 gallon is easy enough

It does require two part dosing every day though, with the current alkalinity consumption it drops ~2.25 dKH per day if I don't keep up with it and I can tell immediately by looking at the SPS if I forgot the previous day. I'm working on adding some dosing pumps to the arduino controller to keep it more constant.

Sea Urchin
    Very cool little tank. Love them picos and nanos. Can't wait to see the write up on the lighting.

Do you use the USB version of the board for the lighting? And it looks like you're using 2 boards?

Cheers,
    Alex
    "It's an Edmonds kind of day" Hidden Content

Amphipod

I didn't have room to do an arduino with a bunch of shield boards so the arduino board I'm using is a custom design, it is electrically equivalent to the standard duemilanove boards except I added a real time clock and a 512kb EEPROM and shrunk the board size by about 20%. I haven't used the EEPROM yet but I hope to use it to log my temperature, ATO consumption etc and I could also store moon cycle/season/tidal data in there so my lighting and powerhead cycles can change with the moon and seasons.

The second board is my LED drivers, none of the off the shelf drivers I could find had the dimming performance I was looking for since I wanted to dim my main array down far enough to use as moonlights. I built some based on National's LM3404 and they work great, the blues never turn off all the way they just slowly dim down to a minimum setting at night.
    Last edited by cptbjorn; 03-19-2010 at 03:42 PM.

Sea Urchin
    That is sweet. Another question though. Are you concerened about the boards or should I say the pins on the boards getting rusted over time due to the salt spray and the such?

I know from experience how salt spray gets over everything over time. *lol*
    "It's an Edmonds kind of day" Hidden Content

Amphipod

I added legs to the fixture since I took the first pictures so the LEDs are about 2" off the water now and the boards are protected by acrylic so it shouldn't be a problem. The light even fell into the water too (twice ) before I got the legs to hold it in place and everything was fine since I unplugged it and rinsed everything with RO immediately.

When I was first testing though and had it just on a timer and the LEDs and fans both cut off abruptly at night there was some wicked condensation which would probably have caused problems pretty quickly. I just run the fans 24/7 so this can't happen now.

Clownfish
    That light is sweet. Props for a nice build

Copepod
    did i see ur tank on nano-reef perhaps?

Hermit Crab

wow! props on the tank!
    i don't know exactly what your talking about at all with the lights :P im stoked for that right up!

and how much did this setup cost?
    Last edited by SmileyFace1995; 04-18-2010 at 06:08 AM.
    Checkout My Tank *ALOT OF PICS* Tell me what u think
    Hidden Content

SKIM FU
    dude...
    sweet pico!!!
    you made the rock, and the LED light...
    quite impressive!!

even with my ghetto rigged chinese LED fixtures on my nano, I'll never go back to M.H. or T5's again.
    WATCH THIS VIDEO!
    Hidden Content

Amphipod

I picked up some corals this weekend from the BRA anniversary sale and figured I should give an update since a whole lot has happened in this tank...

I had a crash early last month when the heater went out while I was on vacation and the tank was around 60-65F for 3-6 days. With all the sps and lps and the small water volume I was dosing over 2.5 dkh worth of alkalinity per day using my ATO, and at the lower temps the corals stopped using it and when I got home my tank looked like death and the alk was at 15 or so... I did what I could, split all the rocks apart to group corals in buckets according to how bad they were looking and did all kinds of dips and water changes and aggressive fragging and ended up saving pieces of at least half, many of these corals turned out to be much more resilient than we give them credit for...

Anyways over the last couple weeks I've been reintroducing the survivors back from my mantis tank and they are coloring back up, eating like pigs and I had to start dosing two part again; it all came back together really just in time to pick up some new acros at the BRA sale

On saturday I nabbed a nice red planet acro frag that I've had my eye on for a couple weeks, for the price I thought for sure someone else would take it but then the sale came and my number was called and there it was Also picked up a $10 tricolor acro frag that kinda reminds me of the garf bonsai I lost in the crash. My camera screen is broken and I can't see what I'm shooting or use the right color balance so the pictures suck, but here's the best I can do for now. Red planet looks a little light in the pics but it is really vibrant pink and green and the polyps have never retracted once, not even in the bag on the way home:

Then last night I was f5ing for the raffle results and when they came up I was surprised when I saw my name next to the strawberry shortcake acro, elos additive pack and coral frenzy I don't know what else to say about that since all of the adjectives I would normally use in this situation are banned here but suffice to say I'm stoked and huge thanks to BRA and the vendors for the sale and the raffle

Here's the SSC I picked up this morning, I have it under the cespitularia tree while it acclimates to the LEDs but the color is incredible already. You can't tell from the pic but the green on it is the new brightest thing in my tank, I can't wait to get it out in the open and get some growth going.

And a fts for good measure, sorry its so blown out. I need a new camera... Everything is crammed together and glued to frag plugs because I'm almost done with my new tank and this pico is likely going to be a prop tank pretty soon.

RF STAFF
    Looking good!!! Really digging your pico
    Hidden Content

Come Join Us
    Hidden Content

Have you helped a fellow reefer today??

Amphipod

Thanks

Power went out last night but I'm running my diy pump off of a 6v lantern battery and wrapped the tank and an oil lamp up with some aluminum foil and towels and it hasn't dropped below 75F, works pretty well and everything has stayed open like nothing happened.

Last winter I kept it warm one night by blasting the front glass with a propane torch every hour or so, the oil lamp seems slightly less dangerous lol.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information