Sierra Fish & Pets <----> Marine Depot
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fish for Nano tanks? :]

New Forum member!

Wink Fish for Nano tanks? :]

I just got my first ever saltwater set up - 15.5g
    And after I get used to having the live rocks I plan on putting a fish or two in...
    I was wondering what types of smaller fish and critters people recommended for a nano saltwater aquariums? :]
    I know that gobies are popular in smaller tanks... What else? :]

Thanks! :]
    Last edited by pooty; 03-29-2010 at 01:21 AM.

Copepod

Once the initial water complete cycled, I'd put a damsel to test the water out. They are very hardy and could take a lot.

g funk

I would skip the fish especially a damsel they are mean and aggressive and will be in that small of a tank...... use a Piece of table shrimp toss a small piece in there for a week then remove it and let it cycle from there. this is the hard part of this hobby waiting for the cycle if you do less problems down the road is for sure.
    240 acrylic tank 1 x tunze 6100's & 1 mp40 diy wave box diy skimmer "the beast" kalk reactor 2x 400 mh vho's supp lights and ice cap Leds other goodies

New Forum member!

Quote Originally Posted by minhmattmai View Post
    Once the initial water complete cycled, I'd put a damsel to test the water out. They are very hardy and could take a lot.
    And their cute! :] thanks for the advice <3

New Forum member!

Quote Originally Posted by lvsuckerfish View Post
    I would skip the fish especially a damsel they are mean and aggressive and will be in that small of a tank...... use a Piece of table shrimp toss a small piece in there for a week then remove it and let it cycle from there. this is the hard part of this hobby waiting for the cycle if you do less problems down the road is for sure.
    So I shouldn't get fish all together with my small tank? Or just until the water has cycled and been tested?

g funk

I would wait for the water to cycle and test then add small nano fish in there fish you want that will live together with the least amount of aggression.
    240 acrylic tank 1 x tunze 6100's & 1 mp40 diy wave box diy skimmer "the beast" kalk reactor 2x 400 mh vho's supp lights and ice cap Leds other goodies

g funk

cleaner shrimp or fire shrimp you can add also.

Emerald Crab
    Yeah, If you put a damsel in you have to get it out.... I had a yellow clown goby, a small cleaner shrimp, a snapping shrimp with a goby. Some mushrooms and zoeantids. You can also get some of the cooler red or green culerpa to help in algae control.

Salty Squid

Let it cycle.

Wait until all your readings are back down to 0's.

Spend the $4 or $5 dollars on some hermit crabs and see if they make it. If they do, re-check your water and SLOWLY add more live stock.

In your tank you'll probably want a couple of fish in there (a goby, clown, and maybe a blenny). Just make sure you research your fish choices and make sure they will be able to live their entire life in your setup, as if you purchase a fish to allow it to "grow out" of your current set up, something may come up and you may not end up being able to get the bigger set up when it's needed.

I would stay away from the damsel's to use them as a "tester" fish. That's what test kits are for.
    "Only bad things happen quickly, quality happens over a long period of time"
    "When an episode of Walker Texas Ranger was aired in France, the French surrendered to Chuck Norris just to be on the safe side"
    Hidden Content Tankless Hidden Content
    Unknown when I can return to the reefing world...
    Arranging Terrorists to meet their maker 24 / 7 / 365

Hidden Content
    PSAS Come Join us at the PSAS and hang out with the North Sound Reefers

My Life: Hidden Content

Copepod

Apparently, people don't like damsels

Sea Urchin
    I'd agree with BigBlue. Wait until you water checks are 0 for nitrites,nitrates and ammonia, then start adding your cleaner crew. And be sure to add fish that you WANT to keep. And make sure they will not out grow your system, example is no tangs in a small sized tank. :0)

IMO avoid putting a fish (damsel or others) just to see if the water is okay. What are you going to do with the fish if it lives? Why waste a fishes life in this way too (if it dies). This IMO is just sensless reefkeeping.

The way I started all my tanks small or large is with LR and then a cleaner crew. After about 3-4 weeks then I add a fish or 2. Fo a small sized tank I would not put any more than 2 fish in at a time to avoid ammonia spikes. And I would probably limit it to 3 maybe 4 fish max. They need swimming room along with room to play.

These are just some recommendations and my opinions. Cheers,
    Alex
    "It's an Edmonds kind of day" Hidden Content

Hermit Crab

also agree with bigblue, i would not be putting in a $20 cleaner shrimp yet. stick with some scarlet hermit crabs. they'll give you something to look at while it cycles and are great great crabs to have in your CUC.

Sea Urchin
    Quote Originally Posted by jgalvin View Post
    also agree with bigblue, i would not be putting in a $20 cleaner shrimp yet. stick with some scarlet hermit crabs. they'll give you something to look at while it cycles and are great great crabs to have in your CUC.
    +1. Scarlet hermits along with some blue legged hermits and a variety of snails. Add these in gradually over the next couple of weeks.
    "It's an Edmonds kind of day" Hidden Content

Shoulda been a fish!
    Also careful mixing hermits and snails as the hermits may kill the snails for their shells a few empty shells laying around may help save the snails I much prefer snails only for the clean up crew, they can get everywhere and are better at algae control imo, and they don't bicker and harass each other for their shells.

I really can only recommend Gobies for that small of a tank, luckily there are tons to chose from A good mid water swimmer that you will see most of the time is a firefish and they are fairly inexpensive but make sure your tank is mostly covered as they are quite the great jumpers.

Like everyone else said make sure your tank is completely cycled before you add anything, once it is start with your cleanup crew.
    -Shawn
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Canon T1i, 100mm Tokina Macro Lens

New Forum member!

Thank you everyone for your great advice :]

But yes, I know about the tank cycle and such, and I had no intention of getting any fish until its fully cycled and the water had been tested :]
    Though I am very exited about all these options! And i'll be putting up pictures of my cute nano soon! :]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information