Marine Depot <----> Premium Aquatics

Thread: Feather buster

New Forum member!

Unhappy Feather buster

Hi,

I have a nice feather buster that has just lost it's crown. I have in the last two day's added a Diadema urchin to help with a algea probleam i have. Could this be a probleam? The shop keeper didn't think so.
    Here is the tank info:
    No3:5, PH:8, PO4:0, cal 400
    25 l tank. Filter is live rock, carbon, polyfilter and po4 adsorber (because someone said that the algea makes testing for po4 hard). Light is on from 8am to 7pm. pumps are 378l/h on filters and 750l/h extra from 9am - 6pm.

There is some pictures in my gallery.
    Last edited by timw1; 06-22-2010 at 04:31 PM. Reason: add pic's info

Amphipod
    How long have you had the feather duster?

BTW, welcome to Reef Frontiers.

Bring on the FISH!
    Welcome to reef frontiers
    Some times they can do that if repeatedly irritated or newly added to a tank. not unheard of for them to do that. It will grow back. If someone is trying to eat it you want to watch closely. You may have to remove it from the tank.
    Last edited by ac7av; 06-22-2010 at 07:01 PM. Reason: spelling

Amphipod
    +1 they shed and it grows back. And they can hide out for days without dieing.

Have to share my fun story - a couple weeks ago I took some creatures out of my classroom aquarium and put them in bowls for the kids to touch. I've had small feather dusters for quite a while, and they whisk back into their tubes if you even stomp on the floor. A couple months ago I bought a big one at the LFS, and it's much less shy. In fact, it put out its "feathers" in the bowl, and kept them out while all the kids took turns touching them.

New Forum member!
    thank's for the nice replys.
    The feather duster has been in the tank for about 2 mounths. But for some resion the urchin has decided to stay right next to the feather duster. Just worried that the spine's has killed the worm. The crown was in one peace with a white bottom, I have removed the crown in the hope the worm is ok and can grow a new one.

As you can tell i'm new to this and learning fast. I got a star fish a while ago and found it eat lots of this little white things (looked like very little feather duster in a white tube) away's in the dark (under rocks in the filter system). Then i started to have green hair algae. hance the urchin.
    It's nice to know i can ask someone here. Thanks

New Forum member!
    Hi,

Just another thought. The temp keep changing from 26 to 28. Could this cause the algea?

Thread Information