Premium Aquatics <----> BarrierReef

Thread: Unidentified Growth on Liverock!

Hermit Crab

Unhappy Unidentified Growth on Liverock!

My husband and I just inherited a 35 gallon SW tank (yay!) and we've been nursing it back to proper health over the past month. We bought a piece of live rock from a local (and reputable) pet store. The live rock has some club-tipped anemones growing on it as well as a brittle star hiding somewhere in its core. But the one substance we can't for the LIFE of us identify is this milky-white coating along one crevice of the live rock. To be explicit, it looks like white snot O_o I have attached the best picture I could capture of it with arrows pointing to the white stuff. Some places I've read suggest it's a sponge, bad growth of algae, or even something to do with a brittle star. I just want to know if it will harm the tank or not. It hasn't seemed to grow since we got it a little over two weeks ago, and none of our inhabitants (maroon clown, bangai cardinal, 5 hermit crabs, 5 snails, 1 xenia) have been affected by it. They are all perfectly content, happy campers. Please help!!!

- The N00bs

Insert idiot comment
    Quote Originally Posted by SaltwaterNoobs View Post
    My husband and I just inherited a 35 gallon SW tank (yay!) and we've been nursing it back to proper health over the past month. We bought a piece of live rock from a local (and reputable) pet store. The live rock has some club-tipped anemones growing on it as well as a brittle star hiding somewhere in its core. But the one substance we can't for the LIFE of us identify is this milky-white coating along one crevice of the live rock. To be explicit, it looks like white snot O_o I have attached the best picture I could capture of it with arrows pointing to the white stuff. Some places I've read suggest it's a sponge, bad growth of algae, or even something to do with a brittle star. I just want to know if it will harm the tank or not. It hasn't seemed to grow since we got it a little over two weeks ago, and none of our inhabitants (maroon clown, bangai cardinal, 5 hermit crabs, 5 snails, 1 xenia) have been affected by it. They are all perfectly content, happy campers. Please help!!!

- The N00bs
    Sponge...perfectly normal.
    100g Envision cube
    -29g sump
    -ETSS 150
    -55g refugium/frag & Mandarin sanctuary
    -48" Odyssea skeleton, 760w, Sun-System ballasts
    -Korallin C1502 Calcium Reactor

Copepod
    looks like a sponge to me but not totally sure, I'm still pretty new when it comes to things that appear in tanks, and tend to over react according to my boyfriend. I am not too fond of all the creepy, crawly, nasty looking things that are in Salt tanks. It took me over a year to finally put my hand in our tank and that was only because a blasto had fallen on an acan and they were fighting, unfortunately I was the only one home.

Hermit Crab
    Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    looks like a sponge to me but not totally sure, I'm still pretty new when it comes to things that appear in tanks, and tend to over react according to my boyfriend. I am not too fond of all the creepy, crawly, nasty looking things that are in Salt tanks. It took me over a year to finally put my hand in our tank and that was only because a blasto had fallen on an acan and they were fighting, unfortunately I was the only one home.
    HA! I am the same way and literally screamed when my husband was moving a piece of liverock and this creepy brittlestar tentacle reached for his finger. Dang things remind me of spiders.

But thank you both for confirming it is a sponge! Now I can breathe easy

Insert idiot comment
    HA! I am the same way and literally screamed when my husband was moving a piece of liverock and this creepy brittlestar tentacle reached for his finger. Dang things remind me of spiders.

But thank you both for confirming it is a sponge! Now I can breathe easy
    No problem and welcome to RFs!!!
    100g Envision cube
    -29g sump
    -ETSS 150
    -55g refugium/frag & Mandarin sanctuary
    -48" Odyssea skeleton, 760w, Sun-System ballasts
    -Korallin C1502 Calcium Reactor

Blenny

sponges :P mine have em too I wouldn't worry about it if you don't like it you can manually remove it but they are good filter feeders.

Amphipod
    Good to know. I have some of that on my rock too. Didn't know what it is.
    Lots to learn...
    Hidden Content

Copepod
    Getting used to all the weird things in a reef is NOT easy!

Anthias
    yup. sponge. It will grow too. I think they look cool. Once they get bigger, the colony will get some texture and stop looking like snot.
    Hidden Content
    Rob - Seattle Central District
    75 G Display - 20 G Fuge - 50 G sump
    2 X 250W MH/4 X 65W Actinic CF
    Geo 612 Calcium Reactor - SWC 160 Cone Skimmer
    TLF Kalkwasser Reactor 300 - Tank Started Jan 2010

Cleaner Shrimp
    I'm not the only one that doesn't stick my hands in unless absolutely necessary? I also screamed when my husband held a fish. Ugghhh.
    Jason & Dana
    29g Biocube zoa tank
    90gal -36x24x25- in the works!!

Thread Information