Marine Depot <----> AirWaterIce
Page 46 of 96 FirstFirst ... 364344454647484956 ... LastLast

Thread: My 300 Gallon sps tank

Scarlet Begonias
    My calcium stays at 400 to 420. Don't ask me how much of that I dose , it is pretty random.
    Rome was not built in a day............................ neither is a reef. Hidden Content

Blenny
    Ok good so it's not a real science experiment and you don't need a chem major to maintain it
    And you just use home baking soda correct. Not the BRS stuff
    Definitely going to look into the home stuff compared to dumping bottles of spendy additives.

Scarlet Begonias
    This really isn't rocket science, your critters will let you know how they feel. All the error here is human error and not paying attention. If I was testing every week instead of every two weeks, I would have nailed this before I really f****** things up . My bad
    Rome was not built in a day............................ neither is a reef. Hidden Content

Speaker To Animals

Re: lights positioned over tank...Yeah...that's what I was thinking about. Looks better to me, now we see if your corals agree?.. Re: Alk: I use the BRS stuff buy it in bulk and it seems to work fine, not all that spendy vs. buying some of the liquid additives.
    Last edited by LostCreekReefer; 01-05-2013 at 03:35 PM.
    [LostCreek 270 Reef]Hidden Content Hidden Content

Scarlet Begonias
    Well, I have some work to do Kevin. My alkalinity has gone thru the roof and I am losing sps tips as we speak. SOLUTION BY DILUTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am gonna be busy this week with 30 gallon water changes til it hurts, and then I will just bend over and do more until I can mellow this out. Operator error is what we will chalk this one up to .

Speaker To Animals

Sorry there to hear that...I missed some posts, yeah, good luck w/ lowering the Alk....dilution & consumption will get 'er there.
    [LostCreek 270 Reef]Hidden Content Hidden Content

Scarlet Begonias
    Yeah............... it sucks, but luckily I know people I can get frags from if the worst happens . I will work thru it man, no biggie unless the whole thing crashes in which case, I will jump out of my basement window.

Blenny
    Bad thin about bigger tanks. 30 gallon water changes. Man I thought 10 gallons was rough.
    Good luck.

Scarlet Begonias
    I have been doin them for 8 goin on 9 years, don't even think twice about it.

Amphipod
    Looking good Charlie, I love the lights, I've been thinking about putting leds over my cichlid tanks or at least one of them to start. It does make everything in your tank stand out with sharper more defined edges. I need to stop by more often, had to go back almost 10 pages to get caught up.

OH, Belated Merry Christmas and Happy New Year
    Last edited by Parrot-Head; 01-05-2013 at 08:29 PM.
    "a Reef tank is like a garden, you grow one, not buy one"

Scarlet Begonias
    Hey parrot, long time. They are a work in progress my friend. Ican see at least a 6 month eperiment goin on here, depending on a few things. I am in no hurry to see results, I just want to make them look good. As I said before, the alk thing has me more worried.

Amphipod
    I think you'll be fine on the alk thingy, you've worked worse out before and got it right, I got faith in you, I do remember back a few years ago at the other place you had been concerned with the par and their ability to grow sps, and yes I did go through the thread you linked back a few pages back, I guess these things have come a long way to have you playing with them. I just pulled up obd's website, those 120's aren't that expensive compared to the marineland double bright strips that I don't really feel warm and fuzzy over. And obd's got a helluva warranty to back it up.
    "a Reef tank is like a garden, you grow one, not buy one"

Scarlet Begonias
    I talked with Mike for probably about 3 hours total over about a month and a half before I said go for it. There is another thread on here by aquanut, she has the same lights, and started in November. A lady I know in Spokane switched to LEDs about a week before I did, and both of those people have beautiful tanks. I am pretty sure they will work out, it just takes time, and believe me, I got more time than I got brains.........................lol. If you are interested, talk to the folks at OBD and tell I sent ya,they are great people and know their stuff.

Blenny
    More than welcome to call me dumb.
    But would it be because your corals are in "shock" of the new light and not absorbing as much minerals as they would if they were healthy?
    Just came to mind thought I'd ask.

Scarlet Begonias
    this was going on before the new lites, my alk readings were bouncing up and down like a freaking super ball since late October when it cooled down and the amount of evap went down.

Page 46 of 96 FirstFirst ... 364344454647484956 ... LastLast

Thread Information