Sierra Fish & Pets <----> Clear Fabrications

Thread: High wattage heater suggestions?

Hawkfish

Question High wattage heater suggestions?

I have about 240gal system total volume with 60gal in sump in cool basement. Currently running three heaters in sump (200, 200, and 250w) and they are not keeping up. The heater thermostat settings also don't seem to register very well and they have to be cranked up to temp settings much higher than what setting should be or they keep shutting off frequently. Now that winter is here I am struggling to keep tank warm enough unless I heat the living room where the DT is, 24/7. My wife is loving the warm room but I am scared to see my gas/electric bill. I am running LEDs so no help with heat there.

What suggestions do you all have for a higher wattage heater? I would prefer a single unit and relegate the other heaters to backup and saltwater mix tank duty.
    "The more you know, the more you know you don't know" - Aristotle

~Mark

Reef Keeper
    Redundancy, redundancy redundancy my son. I would suggest never going with just one heater, if it breaks down you done. I would suggest 2 500/750 watt units and then running them in tandem. This way if one goes you have the other right their to take it up. Also you would anly be running at half or so of their compacity so you would get a bit more life out of them

Mojo
    Mike O'Brien-Oceans by Design
    visit us in person:
    1055 Andover Park East
    Tukwila, WA 98188
    online:
    Hidden Content
    follow us:
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

Clownfish
    Mark - I am running 2 500w Titanium Heaters in my return section of my sump for my 180, all controlled ny a Ranco dual stage controller
    Jeff
    My 180 Build Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Hawkfish
    Quote Originally Posted by mojoreef View Post
    Redundancy, redundancy redundancy my son. I would suggest never going with just one heater, if it breaks down you done. I would suggest 2 500/750 watt units and then running them in tandem. This way if one goes you have the other right their to take it up. Also you would anly be running at half or so of their compacity so you would get a bit more life out of them

Mojo
    Yep the other heaters would still be around for backup as I mentioned.

~Mark

Hawkfish
    Quote Originally Posted by DolphinLVR View Post
    Mark - I am running 2 500w Titanium Heaters in my return section of my sump for my 180, all controlled ny a Ranco dual stage controller
    What brand heaters? Do they have their own thermostats? I have an Aquadyne controller with X-10 control modules but I have never used it for more than pH, ORP, and temp monitoring.

~Mark

Clownfish
    Quote Originally Posted by dragoneggs View Post
    What brand heaters? Do they have their own thermostats? I have an Aquadyne controller with X-10 control modules but I have never used it for more than pH, ORP, and temp monitoring.
    They are Finnex Heaters and yes they have their own controllers. Been great heaters thus far
    Jeff
    My 180 Build Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Hawkfish
    Okay gonna go with a Finnex. Probably a pair of 800w. We lose power more than the average and these should eliminate my worries and struggle to have to keep the house at room temp during an outage.

~Mark

New Forum member!
    are all your heaters running next to each other? if so then thats the reason why they turn on and shut off. i have 2 200w heaters in my tank running off of my aqua jr. no issues with my sump in the garage temp fluctuates 1 deg

Hawkfish
    Yes I did figure that out awhile back and spread them better in the sump. I think now I just don't have enough wattage especially when the house cools appreciably. I think I need to get them on a better controller too.

~Mark

Cleaner Shrimp

If you want to get serious, look at the Aqualogic in-line heaters. They have a 1.5kW and a 2kW version that are titanium. They have flow sensors and digital read-outs. I'm pretty sure you can calibrate them too. You're looking at about $600 though from Aquatic-Eco Systems (under the pond/koi section).

I'm in the same boat as you and I'm using 3 - 400w halides, and I have 4 300w heaters. I only really have problems though when the temp starts going below 35 degrees.

Who's your daddy?!?

I guess I don't want to get serious about heaters then. $600 will buy quite a few Finnex heaters and more than a few lattes to keep me warm as well.

Mike
    Hidden Content
    So I can snort **** all night long...
    Bite my master when it suits me...
    Get off on diminished capacity...

Jello Biafra...LARD

Hidden Content

Hawkfish
    Quote Originally Posted by mcoomer View Post
    I guess I don't want to get serious about heaters then. $600 will buy quite a few Finnex heaters and more than a few lattes to keep me warm as well.

Mike
    Well I guess I am with you Mike! The $500 i will save can go to other more fun stuff. I am going with the 800w Finnex with digital controller and see how that does. I will have the option of running off my Aquadyne Controller or separately.

~Mark

Amphipod

I have a 240 in my basement also. And I have the 100 gallons worth of sump sitting on the cement. I figured it might help cool the tank with running 4 250w halides. I run a single 800w titanium heater and dont have any heat issues..

New Forum member!

Hi every body! I'm new here.

New Forum member!

I am running an Eheim Jager aquarium heater in my return section of my sump for my 90gal.
    Hi every body! I'm new here.

Thread Information