Sierra Fish & Pets <----> AirWaterIce

Thread: My name is Leslie & I'm a wormoholic...... (please read)

RF Staff

Exclamation My name is Leslie & I'm a wormoholic...... (please read)

I thought I better do a proper introduction to make sure no one has the wrong idea about my being a pro when it comes to reefing. The facts are simple:
    - I'm a certified wormoholic who works as the polychaete collection manager at the Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County and my speciality is identification
    - Marine inverts like crustaceans, sea slugs, sea stars, squirts, run a close second to worms in my affections (my husband complains they rank higher than he does)
    - I've never had a tank & probably never will
    - My invert knowledge comes from field work, 30+ years of learning about them, and information taken from posts by people with real experience

A number of years ago I was looking for images of live inverts when I stumbled across reef boards. That was an "Eureka!" moment for me. Reefkeepers were seeing behavior not documented by academics & even rare species. That was the upside. The downside was that people often didn't know what they had. Well, when to comes to helping put names on things I can't resist. I started off by reading several years worth of posts in the invert forums on the major boards to get a good feel for what was known & what wasn't. There was some great information, some basic stuff that got repeated over & over, and surprisingly, a whole lot of misinformation like myths about bristle worms being monsters.

Eventually I started to reply to id requests, then behavior questions, and along the way learned a whole lot. Nothing about fish or corals or clams or chemistry - they just don't interest me the way worms & crabs do. After a while reef clubs started asking me for talks. People started to think of me as a pro despite my lack of hands-on experience, and now here I am, moderating this forum.

Reef boards like Reef Frontiers are all about members helping members. Sharing information on a shared passion. I'm always willing to answer questions but I'm still learning too. Thank goodness for books, the internet, & experienced reefers who contribute to the threads! So keep in mind that I don't claim to be an expert. I try to provide the best information I can find, links to relevant pages by real experts, and hopefully, with the help of others, you'll even get the answer you need.

Happy reefing!
    Cheers, Leslie
    So many worms, so little time!

RF STAFF
    Thanks for the background info Leslie!! We will have to try and work on you a bit and change that part about you never having an aquarium
    Hidden Content

Come Join Us
    Hidden Content

Have you helped a fellow reefer today??

Reef Keeper
    Bet she had an Ant Farm though. lol

Mojo
    Mike O'Brien-Oceans by Design
    visit us in person:
    1055 Andover Park East
    Tukwila, WA 98188
    online:
    Hidden Content
    follow us:
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

RF Staff

Mojo did promise me a solid gold aquarium & a hunky maintance man in return for becoming a mod. Still waiting.....

There may have been an ant farm in the distance past. There may also have been a 5 gallon tank with tetras and angel fish as a shabby substitute for the dog Mom refused to get us. It wasn't really mine, I just overfed the fish.
    Cheers, Leslie
    So many worms, so little time!

jillyfish

Hi Leslie!

I wish I would have read this thread before I posted my Christmas Tree worm question. I bet you are the one to ask! I hope you will be able to answer my questions!
    Thanks.
    Jill
    300 g mixed reef
    29 g nano

Copepod

Awesome intro ever so humble, we shall all benefit with your knowledge.

Anthias
    I think I saw Leslie driving through Charleston SC today and snapped a shot with my cell !

If we ignore the environment
    maybe it will just go away....

Thread Information