Premium Aquatics <----> Clear Fabrications
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chess Black Box

Precision Fabricator

Chess Black Box

Hi, guys, and gals,

We just finished a cool piece of reef gear, and thought you all would like to check it out.
    What we have here is a small tank, 18"x18"x11 3/4" that is built with black acrylic. Our client will submerge it in his sump, and add rubble rock, which will have low waterflow. Since we want it dark 24/7, and have the ability to grow some frags on top, we decided to combine the two, lid, and frag rack. The lid has black eggcrate inset into it. Anyone who would like their own Chess Box, give us a call!

This is what we came up with.....Enjoy

RF Staff

Okay, it is probably a dumb question, but what is the inteded use for the box? I understand the frag rack on top of the lid, but not the box itself.
    For breeding pods?

RF Staff
    Laurie,

Sent u a pm
    Check out my 375 gallon tank pics: Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    UN: guest
    Pwd: password

Hidden Content

Emerald Crab

No dont send a pm. I would like to know also.

Precision Fabricator
    The Chess Box is housed in the sump, and makes ALL corals grow at near natural (wild) levels, and colors. I have made a few and works! Jason

RF Staff

Can you explain how or why it works to grow corals at wild levels and colors in a sump?

I'm A Reefoholic!!!
    Cool Jason! looking forward to setting it up. As for an explanation on how I intend to use the "Chess Box" wow I have something named after me....... This will be placed inside my current 180 gallon refugium and will serve a dual purpose, obviously as a frag rack but the primary reason I had Jason make this is for a cryptic environment for added filtration. The box will simply be filled with live rock rubble layered on egg crates then seeded with various types of live sponges and plumed for a very slow flow. Steve Tyree has actually written a book on the theory of cryptic refugiums and employing sponges for filtration if anyone wants more info. Seemed like an interesting project with a good deal of merit.
    Shaun

I have learned something new in this hobby every day since 1978 Only to discover I could be wrong!Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

copod
    Hey Shaun, looks awsome but you keep stealin all my good ideas and making them even better with the addition of the frag rack on top. So I guess I'll have to make my cryptic box 18x19x11-3/4 huh. Are you planning on using a small PH for controlled current or diverting off overflow plumbing with a ball valve ??? Give me a call if you need a hand installing.

Todd

RF Staff

Oh, cool. Sounds like a great idea. The more natural filtration the better, I imagine. I dont have refugium or sump big enough for that. Maybe one day.

I'm A Reefoholic!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by TJL View Post
    Hey Shaun, looks awsome but you keep stealin all my good ideas and making them even better with the addition of the frag rack on top. So I guess I'll have to make my cryptic box 18x19x11-3/4 huh. Are you planning on using a small PH for controlled current or diverting off overflow plumbing with a ball valve ??? Give me a call if you need a hand installing.

Todd
    To funny Todd... As long as I do mine first you can always out do me on yours! I plan on running a small dedicated pump with a spray bar. I'm still trying to figure out the proper turnover rate.

Hey Laurie you could always set one up remotely it doesn't need to be in the sump or fuge. I just had mine made that way to replace my existing frag rack.
    Shaun

I have learned something new in this hobby every day since 1978 Only to discover I could be wrong!Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

RF STAFF
    Is the theory behind it to keep everything under low light as well thus the reason for the it being made black? Pretty neat looking piece! I have to give it to CFI...Always do top quality work and it seems like they really enjoy what they do which makes all the difference. Nothing more gratifying than being able to do what you truly love and make a career out of it as well.

Precision Fabricator
    Krish, The darker the better! It will be black inside for sure, cause the lid is fully black under the egg crate. When Shaun came to me with the idea, the wheels started turning. Your right, we love doing custom fab work, but the best part is seeing the look on client's faces when they first see their ideas in the flesh. This kind of work choose me, instead of the other way around. And we plan on CFI being around for a very long time. Hope to teach my 9 year old daughter, Hailey the craft to carry on the torch. Jason

RF STAFF
    Sounds good!! That would be nice! Well all the best and keep up the great work!
    Hidden Content

Come Join Us
    Hidden Content

Have you helped a fellow reefer today??

RF Staff
    Nothing more gratifying than being able to do what you truly love and make a career out of it ad well.
    Krish,

I say that every day I go to work. I love my job !!!
    Check out my 375 gallon tank pics: Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    UN: guest
    Pwd: password

Hidden Content

I'm A Reefoholic!!!
    Here is the link for the build. Fuge for sale for $20
    Shaun

Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information