Sierra Fish & Pets <----> Marine Depot
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have spawning clowns that could spare some eggs?

Copepod

Anyone have spawning clowns that could spare some eggs?

Hello Club,

As some of you know I am frustratingly trying to breed 3 paris of clownfish. I believe that 2 pairs are likely spawn ready but for some reason just can't seem to get in the mood.

I have been in discussion with some other breeders and the technique of "fostering" has been suggested. This is where you take eggs laid from another fish pair and place them with the non-spawning pair. It is supposed to stimulate the pair into spawning, apparently it works quite well.

If anyone has some eggs they would let me steal I will happily bring you case of beer/bottle of wine of your liking (or non-alcoholic if you don't drink or are under 21). I would offer you a fish if it works, but since you would already have clowns it wouldn't be a good idea to add another.

anyway, I know there are a few out there with spawning clowns.. Let me know if you can offer any help. Thanks everyone!

Amphipod
    so are all three pairs in one tank ? if so what size are they in ? how long have you had them? are you doing light cycles (moon lighting ) on the correct nights ? anybody in the tank that may eat the eggs? asking all these q's to understand your tank a little better

Copepod

They are all in their own breeder tanks. Two pairs have anemones one does not.. 40g and 29g are tied together. Another is a 57g system. No moon lights. Light cycle is 15 hour on. No other tank members except for a mandarin in the 57g. Ive had 1 pair for 2 years, the other for only a couple months, and another for about 6 months. The pair I have had the longest is the pair I would want to try it on. The other pair that has been around a while is very large and were breeding before I got them from another reefer, so probably a good candidate as well.

I know that I can be patient and wait this out but I am trying to be pro-active here and see if this technique can really work.

Amphipod
    so i would look into getting some moon lights simulate the luner cycle also give them a broken flower pot or tiles something smooth for them to spawn on do the females look fat like there full of eggs do they show signs of mating like body flashing /nesting moving things around cleaning house

Copepod

They are in flower pots currently. 2 pairs are constantly cleaning the sides of the pot. I don't really think that moonlights have any effect on clownfish breeding cycles.. Clownfish are capable of spawning every 8 days.. This is independent of the lunar cycle. Reef organism like corals, etc.. that spawn on dates specific to the lunar cycle are more likely to be affected by moonlights.

Amphipod
    i dont belive the moon has anything to do with the tide either global warmings a myth people act nutty during full moons just a suggestion lol my black clowns always lay on the full moon then about 10 days later your a bit to far to give you some maybe someone on the other side of the rockpile might be able to get you some goodluck

Copepod

thanks!

NOTHING

SHANE&JOHN (screan name) there clowns lay eggs like clock work !Give them a PM and see.
    !!!!STOP LAUGHING AT ME MIKE!!!!

INSANITY= Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result....
    In Full support of
    Northsound reefers.
    Rouge Reefers.
    Hidden Content

Copepod

ill shoot them a PM.. Thanks.

Copepod

It wouldnt let me send a PM to username SHANE&JOHN.. any suggestions?

Life is A Highway...
    Hey Ross,

Try to contact Elmo. I will try on facebook for ya. Ed
    Trying to help everyone to make this hobby as enjoyable as possible without any Drama!Hidden Content

MCMAC

Hidden Content

Change how you see....
    Not how you look.
    B.G.

Copepod

Cool, Thanks.. I figured this would be a long shot anyways so no worries.

When is there gonna be water in your tank?

Anthias
    I just shared this thread with my clownfish expert. Maybe she will chime in also
    If we ignore the environment
    maybe it will just go away....

I <3 clown fish!
    Quote Originally Posted by deangelr View Post
    Hello Club,

As some of you know I am frustratingly trying to breed 3 paris of clownfish. I believe that 2 pairs are likely spawn ready but for some reason just can't seem to get in the mood.

I have been in discussion with some other breeders and the technique of "fostering" has been suggested. This is where you take eggs laid from another fish pair and place them with the non-spawning pair. It is supposed to stimulate the pair into spawning, apparently it works quite well.

If anyone has some eggs they would let me steal I will happily bring you case of beer/bottle of wine of your liking (or non-alcoholic if you don't drink or are under 21). I would offer you a fish if it works, but since you would already have clowns it wouldn't be a good idea to add another.

anyway, I know there are a few out there with spawning clowns.. Let me know if you can offer any help. Thanks everyone!
    Well, I've never attempted the 'foster' method since I would not risk loosing an entire spawn to getting eaten, but I do know that increasing the photo period and temp along will saturating them with food (all they can eat) at least 3 times per day works very well.
    Be patient, eventually, you'll have fry coming out of your ears!
    Good luck!
    Doni Marie~
    Clown fish make me smile Hidden Content

Anthias
    Thanks for chiming in Doni! Happy independence weekend!
    If we ignore the environment
    maybe it will just go away....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information