Marine Depot <----> BarrierReef

Poll: What method do you use to cycle a new tank??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What method do you use to cycle a new tank??

RF STAFF

What method do you use to cycle a new tank??

Just as the question states...What method do you use to cycle a new tank?? I will set the poll up to accept multiple choices if you use more than one method.
    Hidden Content

Come Join Us
    Hidden Content

Have you helped a fellow reefer today??

RF STAFF
    I voted for liverock. I just let liverock run it's course until I read zero ammonia and nitrites and then I toss in a hardy fish afterwards to add more waste to the tank and also, incase of something spiking.
    Hidden Content

Come Join Us
    Hidden Content

Mr. Reckless
    I have used the shrimp method and now mostly dry rock with a seeder rock piece...or a combination of both

RF STAFF
    Quote Originally Posted by akunochi View Post
    I have used the shrimp method and now mostly dry rock with a seeder rock piece...or a combination of both
    I've never tried the raw shrimp method. Seems like a good method/alternative to putting in a fish to cycle the tank.
    Hidden Content

Come Join Us
    Hidden Content

Butterflyfish
    usually i just drink a six pack and take a nice big pee in it! Gets the amnonia going real good...learned this from the old timers!

eww
    Our new tank is set up with all dead rock and new sand. We went with a product from SeaChem that they promoted to us at SeaMax. They say it works well so we will see. It seems to be moving along through the cycle just fine so far. We might still throw a raw shrimp in just to make sure though. We have time since we don;t even have our plumbing or lights completed yet.

I Love Big Torts!
    Think quarantine tank. In a rubbermaid bin to get things cooking I'll use maxi jet w/airation, seeded sponge blocks started in aged sump, raw shrimp to feed and keep the bacteria up and ceramic homes. When ready to use, just place a sponge block in the filtration area of bare/new set-up and add the ceramic homes before adding the new fish to be QT'd and fresh made water. Because, there are times when medicating your only able to keep things simple and bare with most meds.
    Aquanaut, Renton WA
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

ive tried all of the choices. but prefer LR/LS from a mature tank, and throwing in a shrimp to move things along.

sorry, i take that back. never tried the "bacteria in a bottle" method.

Blenny

I tried Dr. Tim's "one and only" bacteria. The raw shrimp is fine, but I have a open tank and could not afford to stink up the house. Another plus using the bacteria in a bottle method is you can control the ammonia (via ammonium chloride) to a 2-3 ppm which seems to be the sweet spot for the nitrifying bacteria. I also used 40 lbs of live sand to seed the tank.

The tank cycled in less than two weeks.
    Jim

Gimmito's 450 gallon L-shaped tank

Hidden Content

RF STAFF
    Quote Originally Posted by gimmito View Post
    I tried Dr. Tim's "one and only" bacteria. The raw shrimp is fine, but I have a open tank and could not afford to stink up the house. Another plus using the bacteria in a bottle method is you can control the ammonia (via ammonium chloride) to a 2-3 ppm which seems to be the sweet spot for the nitrifying bacteria. I also used 40 lbs of live sand to seed the tank.

The tank cycled in less than two weeks.
    Pretty cool!! Your setup is too sweet to stink up the house IMO so you win. You are the second person recently speaking of bacteria in a bottle. As I mentioned on the other thread, it's been around for a while and does it's job just like livesand, liverock, fish poop, raw decaying shrimp etc. does. Just another alternative route. The thing about building up bacteria in our tanks though it is a never ending cycle it seems until you find that right balance. As more livestock is added, bacterial populations will need to increase and shift. I like your approach with the base rock though and kinda want to try that next time to avoid the un-wanted pests being transferred as I've always used liverock. The downfall for me though is I like the good hitchikers as well. Feather dusters, tube worms, coralline etc, but living where I do, it isn't hard to come by.
    Hidden Content

Come Join Us
    Hidden Content

Blenny

Agreed, there are many ways to accomplish the cycling period in our tanks. Damsels were the old way, raw shrimp are tried and true, but I think bacteria will play a huge part in the hobby in the near future (probiotics being one of them). I'm paranoid about unwanted pests entering our tanks via live rock and cycled mine atleast 6 months. I'm already seeing coraline algae on the rocks, it will be interesting what else pops up.
    Jim

Gimmito's 450 gallon L-shaped tank

Hidden Content

Amphipod

As someone who is about to get a new tank up and running this thread made a great read. thanks

Hermit Crab

I'm in the process of setting up a tank and am planning on going with Base Rock + Dr Tim's one and adding a hardy fish or two right away. Mr Salt water TV had an episode on it so am planning on giving it a shot. The only open item for me is base sand vs live sand.

Sea Urchin
    I've always used the LR/LS method until my third tank, with that one I used dead rock, dry sand and seeded it with a couple of pieces of LR from my established tanks.

Cheers,
    Alex
    "It's an Edmonds kind of day" Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information