Marine Depot <----> BarrierReef

Poll: What method do you use to cycle a new tank??

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What method do you use to cycle a new tank??

Hermit Crab
    I'm a big fan of:

90% Base Rock + 10% Live Rock (from an established and trusted tank)
    90% Dry Sand + 10% Mature Sand (again from trusted tank)

All except my first tank (set it up Thursday started stocking HEAVY Saturday per LFS advice) I use Raw Deli Shrimp to feed the cycle. I've had great succes with this method but I do think my next tank set-up will include a bottle (or two) of a product called

Brightwell Aquatics MicroBacter7
    The reason I want to try this one is because it has more "Variety" in it's bacteria rather than just obligated bacteria that will reduce ammonia to nitrite and then down to nitrate. This one also contains some faculative bacteria which in time as anaerobic zones develop will take down the nitrates and help to "Complete" the cycle. In reality the cycle is NEVER complete until you take the tank down or crash it because the tank is always building and losing bacteria in direct proportion to available food for them.

Make note I'm not using the Brightwell Aquatics MicroBacter7 in lieu of the deli shrimp because if you don't FEED the bacteria then they wont colonize in any #'s sufficient to handle a bio-load of fish. You need to PUSH them up front before stocking and then stock slowly. After every new bio-addition you need to let the system colonize to meet the new demands on the system THEN add another bioload.

Reef Keeper
    For me its nothing live, all dead rock and dead sand. With the ability to keep bacteria alive well and then the proper identification of bacterial strains I would bypass the old dead shrimp thing. When you add a dead thing you are adding a whole other level of bacterial decomposition thats not required. So this is how I am going to do it.

>Dead rock and sand in the tank, this way I can take my time with rock-scaping
    > then add water and wait for the milky water to be cleared out via Socks in the sump.
    > Then I want to add just a obligated nitrifing bacteria to allow it to build up a population in the tank. I perfer the "All in One" bacteria from Dr. Tim because it is just that and the Brightwell has both obligated (that just does Nitrifing( and faculative (which will convert to De-nitrifing). The reaosn behind this is that when the faculative turn anaerobic you take a hit on your nitrifing bacteria population and I dont want that.
    >From their you can add fish the next day to provide poop for the bacteria and keep the nitrifing bacteria happy. If you dont want to do that then just dose ammonia chloride.
    > after about a week or when I see a slight rise in Nitrates I add a product called Waste Away which is the Faculative de-Nitrifing bacteria and it will deal with the nitrate with out the nitrifing bacteria population being disturbed.

> then just wait for the diatom and / or slight algae build to come

Mojo
    Mike O'Brien-Oceans by Design
    visit us in person:
    1055 Andover Park East
    Tukwila, WA 98188
    online:
    Hidden Content
    follow us:
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

Hermit Crab
    Mike what would you suggest using to "Feed" the bacteria during the colonization (aka cycle)?

Reef Keeper
    If your not going to have fish pooping then you want to use a regent grade ammonia chloride. In the case of Dr. Tims, if you tell them you want to do a fishless cycle they will give you a bottle for free. If you dont go the Tims route you can try and find a Pure Ammonia product that does not have surficants, and of course has not other additives.

Mojo
    visit us in person:
    1055 Andover Park East
    Tukwila, WA 98188
    online:
    Hidden Content
    follow us:

Hermit Crab
    ahh gotcha. I'm think my next set-up I will go Brightwell Aquatics MicroBacter7 & Ammonia and see how that works out. I admit I've taken the easy route lately and tossed in the shrimp and just tested 1x a day. No dosing just testing and waiting.

Reef Keeper
    Ah yea going the shrimp route is fine, done it a million times. The only thing it risks is smell and a possible bacterial bloom.

no biggie at that stage of the game.

Mojo
    visit us in person:
    1055 Andover Park East
    Tukwila, WA 98188
    online:
    Hidden Content
    follow us:

Copepod

I started with 30lbs of LR, about 30lbs of live sand from my 20 long that is now my sump, also used all of the water from my 20. I then added 50lbs of dry rock, 50lbs of new/dry substrate and a bottle of bacteria(dont remember the name, but it smells really bad). Now on week 3 and amonia, nitrites are 0 and nitrates are showing although low. This is with live stock in tank(very little).

Cleaner Shrimp
    This is a great thread as i plan to cycle my tank soon. So is the brightwell product not a good way to go in the long run? or will it just take slightly longer to get to where you need to be to add livestock? I was planning on using it as ive had greta success with all their their products. So its good to hear both sides of the product.

Goby
    if u have to cure your liverock anyways its fine to do so in the tank but i really like having the cycle at least started before i put the final live rock in. u will have less problems with algae on the rocks and give the corraline a better chance to claim the rock if u wait a bit on the rock. if the rock is already cured and colored up go ahead and cycle with the rock. i always hate seeing good live rock go green but it takes a lot more patience not to just throw everything in at once. though lots of folks arent even cycling anymore as long as you have established/well cured live rock.

if none of those are an option i would start with only a portion of the live rock maybe just the base and a good bacteria in a bottle product. then add the remaining live rock when the cycle is done or nearly done.
    Last edited by Darthv247; 11-17-2011 at 07:03 AM.
    Professional smartass and reef gardener wannabe.
    DarthV247

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information