BarrierReef <----> Clear Fabrications

Poll: How Do You Acclimate Your Fish?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: How Do You Acclimate Your Fish?

  1. #1
    RF STAFF
    Krish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Nassau, Bahamas
    Age
    40
    Posts
    25,426
    Rep Power
    322

    How Do You Acclimate Your Fish?

    People are always adding fish to their tanks. How do you go about acclimating them? This won't be a public poll so no-one will know who voted for what so be honest. It would be really good to know how many people do what to acclimate their fish.
    Hidden Content


    Come Join Us
    Hidden Content



    Have you helped a fellow reefer today??

  2. #2
    RF STAFF
    Krish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Nassau, Bahamas
    Age
    40
    Posts
    25,426
    Rep Power
    322
    Here's my method...

    -I open the bag and let some of the water out in the sink.
    -Drop the probe from my thermometer in the bag
    -Float bag in the tank
    -Every 10 mins I dump a bit of tank water in the bag
    -Once temp matches that of the tank as well as I have added tank water into the bag atleast 3 times to where there is a 50/50 ratio of tank water to the water in the bag, I net the fish and toss it in. I never put any water from the bag into my tank, thus the reason for netting the fish.
    Hidden Content


    Come Join Us
    Hidden Content



    Have you helped a fellow reefer today??

  3. #3
    Cleaner Shrimp
    Sasquatch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Vancouver Island
    Posts
    486
    Rep Power
    0
    I think I do the Krish method as well, haven't bought a fish in years now and frankly the worry of introducing a plague to my stock means no acclimation worries as there arn't going to be more fishies

  4. #4
    RF STAFF
    Krish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Nassau, Bahamas
    Age
    40
    Posts
    25,426
    Rep Power
    322
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    I think I do the Krish method as well, haven't bought a fish in years now and frankly the worry of introducing a plague to my stock means no acclimation worries as there arn't going to be more fishies
    I'm like you. I live less than 5 mins from the ocean (island I live on is only 21 miles long by 7 miles wide with crystal clear water) and I never used NSW. Too afraid to transfer something bad to my tank. I also didn't heavily stock my tanks. I had 4 fish in a 75gal (and small ones at that) LOL!
    Hidden Content


    Come Join Us
    Hidden Content



    Have you helped a fellow reefer today??

  5. #5
    Cleaner Shrimp
    Sasquatch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Vancouver Island
    Posts
    486
    Rep Power
    0
    the way stuff is moving around the planet from place to place who knows what is off your door step? Overcrowding is a true sin, we just can't reproduce the habitats required, and after enough years in reefkeeping and murdering enough fish you have to draw a line lol

  6. #6
    RF STAFF
    Krish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Nassau, Bahamas
    Age
    40
    Posts
    25,426
    Rep Power
    322
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    the way stuff is moving around the planet from place to place who knows what is off your door step? Overcrowding is a true sin, we just can't reproduce the habitats required, and after enough years in reefkeeping and murdering enough fish you have to draw a line lol
    Yup!! Speaking of things moving around, our waters are over-loaded with lionfish which aren't native to our waters. Fishermen are getting upset, because they are eating up everything! They have lionfish contests to see who can catch the most in an effort to eradicate them. They even brought in chefs to teach people how to cook them! It really sucks!! Why couldn't we atleast get clowns or something cool like that LOL!
    Hidden Content


    Come Join Us
    Hidden Content



    Have you helped a fellow reefer today??

  7. #7
    RF STAFF
    Krish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Nassau, Bahamas
    Age
    40
    Posts
    25,426
    Rep Power
    322
    Bump back to the top for more votes.
    Hidden Content


    Come Join Us
    Hidden Content



    Have you helped a fellow reefer today??

  8. #8
    RF Staff
    NC2WA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bothell,WA
    Posts
    5,542
    Rep Power
    125
    I float the bag in the tank water to get to temp, then before I add tank water, I check the pH and salinity of the bag water..I then add 1 cup of water every 5 mins until the bag is full, dump half the water out and add additional 1 cup of water until bag is the same pH and salinity of the tank water..once this is reached, I release the fish into tank water.

    this normal takes 45 mins to 1 hour.
    Check out my 375 gallon tank pics: Hidden Content

    Hidden Content
    UN: guest
    Pwd: password

    Hidden Content

  9. #9
    Copepod
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Spokane, WA
    Posts
    8
    Rep Power
    0
    I'm curious why you (Krish) don't dump all the water in after you aclimate the fishy? We have always thought of it as extra bio diversity in our tank.

  10. #10
    RF Staff
    NC2WA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bothell,WA
    Posts
    5,542
    Rep Power
    125
    I'm curious why you (Krish) don't dump all the water in after you aclimate the fishy?
    Because you do NOT want to introduce any nastys or pathegons that may be in that water. For example, if the acclimating water has Ick and you dump that water into your tank, you just now contaminated your main display tank with the ich pathegon. So as a rule, you never dump acclimating water into a main display tank.
    Check out my 375 gallon tank pics: Hidden Content

    Hidden Content
    UN: guest
    Pwd: password

    Hidden Content

  11. #11
    Cleaner Shrimp
    Sasquatch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Vancouver Island
    Posts
    486
    Rep Power
    0
    Im assuming of coarse that this acclimation process is for fish going IN the QT?

  12. #12
    NOTHING

    Myteemouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Tacoma wa.
    Posts
    6,112
    Rep Power
    99
    I drip for sure.
    I us an old FW airline and little valve.

    I put the fish in a dark container. (opaque is best for stress on the fish)
    I dump all the water from the bag to the container.
    Then I put it on the floor and I run the air line to the sump.
    I start the siphon on the air line and valve the flow down to a slow drip.. (about two drops a second.)

    ( remember to turn off your ATO if you have one. )

    Then I check on the container every 5-10 minutes.
    If It gets to full I dump a bit out.
    After 30 mins I turn up the flow a bit on the air line from the sump. ( a near stream.)
    I leave it on that way for another 20 mins..

    Also make up a few gallons of saltwater for your tank for when your done.

    After the fish has "DRIPPED" for 50 mins or so. I scoop the fish up with a net and in the tank he goes.
    I dont QT ( I know, how bad of me)
    I dont freshwater dip ( I know, Again a bad habit)
    !!!!STOP LAUGHING AT ME MIKE!!!!

    INSANITY= Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result....
    In Full support of
    Northsound reefers.
    Rouge Reefers.
    Hidden Content

  13. #13
    RF Staff
    NC2WA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bothell,WA
    Posts
    5,542
    Rep Power
    125
    assuming of coarse that this acclimation process is for fish going IN the QT
    For the steps I posted, Yes, going into QT.
    Check out my 375 gallon tank pics: Hidden Content

    Hidden Content
    UN: guest
    Pwd: password

    Hidden Content

  14. #14
    Amphipod
    Nana Chloropsis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Woodinville, Washington, United States
    Posts
    103
    Rep Power
    0
    I do exactly as Myteemouse does. I always assume that the water that the fish is in is full of stress hormones and fish pee, so down the drain it goes.

  15. #15
    RF STAFF
    Krish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Nassau, Bahamas
    Age
    40
    Posts
    25,426
    Rep Power
    322
    Quote Originally Posted by Myteemouse View Post
    I drip for sure.
    I us an old FW airline and little valve.

    I put the fish in a dark container. (opaque is best for stress on the fish)
    I dump all the water from the bag to the container.
    Then I put it on the floor and I run the air line to the sump.
    I start the siphon on the air line and valve the flow down to a slow drip.. (about two drops a second.)

    ( remember to turn off your ATO if you have one. )

    Then I check on the container every 5-10 minutes.
    If It gets to full I dump a bit out.
    After 30 mins I turn up the flow a bit on the air line from the sump. ( a near stream.)
    I leave it on that way for another 20 mins..

    Also make up a few gallons of saltwater for your tank for when your done.

    After the fish has "DRIPPED" for 50 mins or so. I scoop the fish up with a net and in the tank he goes.
    I dont QT ( I know, how bad of me)
    I dont freshwater dip ( I know, Again a bad habit)

    Pretty cool! You take a lot of time into consideration. Very thorough especially for someone who doesn't quarentine (I never did either although most of my fish come from the wild )
    Hidden Content


    Come Join Us
    Hidden Content



    Have you helped a fellow reefer today??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •