Premium Aquatics <----> Marine Depot
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The last episode of TANKED!

Copepod

The last episode of TANKED!

Did anyone see the last episode? It was the first LIVE reef they installed. Thoughts?

one larg lps
    recorded it will let u know....so far this is more a ratings show than any thing...
    5 yrs of fun?125 GAL. REEF .55 GAL SUMP.2 1500 SEIO ,mag 1800for return 2 maxi's for cl on RK1,PRIME CHILLER 1/10HP With mag9,ASM G-6 looking skimmer?,3 CLOWNS , 2 DAMSELS CONVIC 3 STRIPE, 4 CRABS, LOTTA SNAILS,leconce,blue hippo yellow tail ,gobey pair,CLeaner shrimp,dual 450 M.H. 2-2ft vho's-sump,6ft vho's up top,RK1 keeper,135LBS L.R.110 LBS L.S. And now after a seperation I restart with a 50 bow front !Hidden Content

Chimp in Space......
    Got it queued up on the dvr. Hoping to watch it this week.
    david

Current tank(s): Oceanic 58 with a 29g sump, Eheim 9g nano

Butterflyfish
    ya i dont think all that coral should have been placed in the tank right away!!!!
    Watever...guess thats wat u get. U pay the money and tell em wat u want, they deliver wether its good for the animals or not!
    Sry for the spoiler alert!

R.I.P.

That bed tank they did for the little boy made my wife cry. You gotta admit some of the stuff is cool.

Don

Mr. Reckless
    Don- The bed tank was really cool.

Everyone else- Look I am getting bored as all hell with the they are torturing the animals routine. I talk to the guys down at ERI pretty regularly and they seem to agree that the ATM guys are not morons. Has anyone stopped to think that perhaps during the multiple weeks of the tank build or perhaps as a regular thing they have live rock curing? I mean it appears to me they also have a retail reef store or it is one hell of a QT facility they work in throughout the show. Not to mention none of those coral (Except maybe one or two) are very sensitive so they should be able to survive a mini cycle.

I'm going to hope that when you have made a successful business selling custom items and stocking them as well as maintenance on the system you are smart enough to understand a nitrogen cycle.

RF Staff

I missed it again. Yeah, they build some pretty cool tanks.
    And yes, they dont build these overnight and stock them that fast either. It takes a lot more time planning and building the system than it appears that is does on the show. They probably have a ton of cycled rock and have it ready and stocked so they are basically doing a move from one tank to another. There wont be an ammonia spike and regular maintenance will keep it from doing so if it is a little over stocked to start.

Hermit Crab

Yeah my guess is they have to make it interesting for reality TV, watching live rock cure or a tank to cycle isn't all that exciting to sane people.

I saw a preview for the next show and it seems that they're building one as part of a skate ramp... not sure how well that will work with acrylic.

Copepod

Well I will let you guys know. If you haven't been to their facility. Wow is all I have to say. I use to live like a half mile from there shop in vegas, and it was huge. The front end part of it was were they housed their coral and fish was easily 10000 sq feet. Their display tanks are fresh and saltwater and they are in the ball park of 1000 gallon and up. So I imagine the behind the scenes There is probably a lot more storage of water rock quarantine and much more. This was like 6 years ago and I still talk about ATM. I even tried getting a job there as former to make the tanks. But there is alot of behind the scenes we dont see.

RF Staff

I'd love to get into their place and see their displays.

Chimp in Space......
    Mr. Saltwater Tank did an interview with Brett (one of the co-owners). You can view it here. I found it interesting to hear his take on the show and the hobby.
    Last edited by rainydave; 09-13-2011 at 04:52 PM.
    david

Current tank(s): Oceanic 58 with a 29g sump, Eheim 9g nano

Mr. Reckless
    Great interview. I just sent him an email asking about the products mentioned in the interview. He is 100% right with his points in the interview. It is a show and they are show tanks not hobbyist tanks.

Reef Keeper
    LOL now that is funny, I spent a good hour or so with this fellow at macna (where this interview took place) and Brett had somewhat of a different stance on the education aspect and wanted not to look like an idiot with his methods then he is showing in this interview. I don want to get into what was said (as it was a private conversation) but it was very different then that, lol

Mojo
    Mike O'Brien-Oceans by Design
    visit us in person:
    1055 Andover Park East
    Tukwila, WA 98188
    online:
    Hidden Content
    follow us:
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

Butterflyfish
    Im all for the show as i watch it.....it is a reality show so u prob dont see all that goes on! Just saying it looked to me like they just threw all that coral in after setting up! I didnt think u could do that even with softies and leathers and such!
    Glad to finally see a reef tank on the show though and not just a fish only tank!

Butterflyfish
    I met mr.saltwater at seamax...kinda wierd though lol after watching his blogs and than seeing him in person! Hes a skinny mofo...kinda like me but im not as tall LOL

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information