Sierra Fish & Pets <----> Clear Fabrications
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23

Thread: Anyone use NSW from the Puget Sound?

  1. #1
    clam guy!
    skinz78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    lovely rainy NW Washington
    Age
    39
    Posts
    440
    Rep Power
    61

    Anyone use NSW from the Puget Sound?

    I'm considering using NSW from the sound and I am wondering what everyone thinks of it? If you use it can you please post pic's of your tank and list the inhabitants as well as how long you have used it for? How do you collect it, and how much do you collect at once. I wonder how long it can be safely stored before it go's bad?

    I have quite a few clams and SPS's and I'm worried about the possibility of loosing them due to pollutants in the water.

    It seems lame to me to be buying salt mix when I have salt water just 5 min away.

  2. #2
    Cleaner Shrimp
    Sasquatch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Vancouver Island
    Posts
    486
    Rep Power
    0
    HAHAHAHAHAA! Im in Sooke, just up stream from you, our state of the arc(pun,pun,pun) sewer processing plant was redesigned during the build, they left out the processing part oops, straight flush Baby!
    Ive heard of several people doing it without issue, Id for sure want to use a UV on it as the salmon farms are pumping out flukes like mad
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 10-02-2011 at 09:20 PM. Reason: spellimg
    hahahahhhaa I got sig worthy and didn't even know it MUHAHAHAHHAAAAA

  3. #3
    Emerald Crab
    Guerry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Coastal GA
    Posts
    269
    Rep Power
    0
    I don't know about the west coast but here on the east coast you've got to go off shore atleast 35 miles to get quailty water. I've checked sq. near shore and it's always low due to fresh water run off from rivers and rain also you never know what kind of bac. you might be getting also

  4. #4
    copod
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Everett, WA
    Age
    56
    Posts
    2,557
    Rep Power
    0
    I have used it on & off for several years, always collected it on incoming tides in Summer/dry months (fresh from the Straits) from our beach at Pt. No Pt. (Hansville, WA). I'd bring it home to warm it it up, step up the S.G.,Mg and Ca a bit while running it through carbon in a hang-on filter. Never had any issues but, more of something just to try as not very convenient or practical for continued use. Someone on the site here has used it long-term that he gest out of Discovery or Sequim Bay, just don't recall his user-name.
    When I finally get to the point of setting up a larger 800-1000g system will definitely plan on using NSW from the Seattle Aquarium for initial fill.


    Cheers, Todd

  5. #5
    R.I.P.

    DonW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    8,785
    Rep Power
    146
    Quote Originally Posted by skinz78 View Post
    I'm considering using NSW from the sound and I am wondering what everyone thinks of it? If you use it can you please post pic's of your tank and list the inhabitants as well as how long you have used it for? How do you collect it, and how much do you collect at once. I wonder how long it can be safely stored before it go's bad?

    I have quite a few clams and SPS's and I'm worried about the possibility of loosing them due to pollutants in the water.

    It seems lame to me to be buying salt mix when I have salt water just 5 min away.
    I would not collect it myself. Seattle aquarium has processed water but its not all that great either. I just watched a special called beneath the sound or something like that yesterday. The marine biologist stated that the PS is the most polluted part of the ocean in the entire world.

    Don

  6. #6
    RF STAFF
    Krish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Nassau, Bahamas
    Age
    40
    Posts
    25,426
    Rep Power
    323
    Wow! And I worry about using NSW from the Bahamas!!.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hidden Content


    Come Join Us
    Hidden Content



    Have you helped a fellow reefer today??

  7. #7
    clam guy!
    skinz78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    lovely rainy NW Washington
    Age
    39
    Posts
    440
    Rep Power
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by TJL View Post
    Someone on the site here has used it long-term that he gest out of Discovery or Sequim Bay, just don't recall his user-name.
    I know who you are talking about, I've personally seen his tank and it is one of the best looking tanks I have ever seen. But it is all LPS, Zoa's, and Ric's.

    Quote Originally Posted by DonW View Post
    I would not collect it myself. Seattle aquarium has processed water but its not all that great either. I just watched a special called beneath the sound or something like that yesterday. The marine biologist stated that the PS is the most polluted part of the ocean in the entire world.

    Don
    I'm starting to think I am gonna pass on using it, I have way too many SPS colony's that I have grew from frags and clams to chance it.

  8. #8
    clam guy!
    skinz78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    lovely rainy NW Washington
    Age
    39
    Posts
    440
    Rep Power
    61
    Double post sorry.

  9. #9
    Copepod

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Sequim, WA
    Age
    51
    Posts
    52
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by TJL View Post
    I have used it on & off for several years, always collected it on incoming tides in Summer/dry months (fresh from the Straits) from our beach at Pt. No Pt. (Hansville, WA). I'd bring it home to warm it it up, step up the S.G.,Mg and Ca a bit while running it through carbon in a hang-on filter. Never had any issues but, more of something just to try as not very convenient or practical for continued use. Someone on the site here has used it long-term that he gest out of Discovery or Sequim Bay, just don't recall his user-name.
    When I finally get to the point of setting up a larger 800-1000g system will definitely plan on using NSW from the Seattle Aquarium for initial fill.


    Cheers, Todd
    I use NSW from Sequim Bay. Have used it for years and had no problems at all. I always collect on slack high tide and only when the water is clear. The salinity is usually at 1.018-1.020 so I add reef salt to get it up to 1.024. I also add Reef Buffer to boost ph. My reef is mostly LPS with a few hardy SPS (2 of my SPS came from Dang 2 years ago). Currently dealing with Bryopsis (thank you son...lol) and have just ordered a jug of Kent Tech-M.

  10. #10
    Butterflyfish
    1guydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    p-town, WA
    Posts
    3,149
    Rep Power
    91
    ive never seen that show but i dont think the puget sound is the most polluted water in the world! The seattle aquarium uses it 24/7 dont they...? I for one like making my own water and knowing its pure with a tds meter.
    -299g display.

  11. #11
    spike

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    North Seattle
    Posts
    76
    Rep Power
    0
    I have used water from Seattle Aquarium .... but non conclusive. The Seattle Aquarium does not use it's own filter puget sound salt water on the reef aquariums, but does of course for the other exhibits. You can sign up for an account, and get an access card to operate the water supply onthe loading dock there. Works great. I plan to continue to use this water for such things as quaranteen tank (i.e. for the repetetive water changes during quaranteen tank nad when cycling live rock, etc). Although I did use it on my DT, I have stopped primarily compelled that the Seattle Aquarium doesn't even use on their reef systems.

  12. #12
    Catalina goby
    NemCrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    monroe wa
    Posts
    632
    Rep Power
    59
    I grabbed water from the sound during slack tide. The water was pretty clear so I'm going to filter with a water polishing powerheads and a uv filter. I'm using it for my Coldwater tank. I called the Seattle aquarium and you have to put 35 dollars down to start the account. Not bad considering you can use that money towards buying the water.

  13. #13
    M.I.A

    DTECH07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Lakewood, WA
    Posts
    1,096
    Rep Power
    78
    There is one FS I know who does and I use to purchase my water from there when I started. I never had a problem but I know they had a thorough process. Give them a call Aquarium Paradise in Lakewood and ask for Dominic, he'll help on this.

  14. #14
    Clownfish
    iroll253's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Steilacoom
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,227
    Rep Power
    51
    No offense Darryl but I wouldn't recommend that shop to anyone lol. Reef water is 35 ppt Puget sound is 27ppt not to mention the difference in all parameters, bacteria, temp, ect..

    I could be off but wouldn't you be killing all off the microscopic inverts and such in the collected water by dumping it in such a temperature difference as a reef tank? Isn't cold water way more nutrient dense than warm water?
    Last edited by iroll253; 09-28-2012 at 06:02 AM. Reason: crappy cell phone lol

  15. #15
    Catalina goby
    NemCrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    monroe wa
    Posts
    632
    Rep Power
    59
    There is way more nutrients found in collected nsw almost to much for a tank. Even if it's temperate. That is why I am filtering it. But if I time it right and get pretty clean water it would be great for water changes. But I think for the initial fill of water in my 140 temperate it'll be mainly water from the seattle aquarium.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •