Marine Depot <----> Sierra Fish & Pets
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone use NSW from the Puget Sound?

M.I.A

No offense taken. Point is I used that water before I purchased my RO/DI system and the process that the company that they purchase the water from is a know process and the specs on the water were spot on. I didn't recommend them to buy fish nor coral from the store but to find out their process. Since your the expert behind it why don't you go down to the store and buy some water and test it. This way you'll know for sure not to contact them. I would still find out there process I know there is two parts to it but the water which I purchased test for trace elements (that I had test kits for) and salinity was spot on. I had no algae blooms and my micro and macro plus coral and fish did very well.

Clownfish
    Quote Originally Posted by NemCrazy View Post
    There is way more nutrients found in collected nsw almost to much for a tank. Even if it's temperate. That is why I am filtering it. But if I time it right and get pretty clean water it would be great for water changes. But I think for the initial fill of water in my 140 temperate it'll be mainly water from the seattle aquarium.
    I get what you mean. I was exclusively talking about adding puget sound water to a 77 degree reef tank..

Quote Originally Posted by DTECH07 View Post
    No offense taken. Point is I used that water before I purchased my RO/DI system and the process that the company that they purchase the water from is a know process and the specs on the water were spot on. I didn't recommend them to buy fish nor coral from the store but to find out their process. Since your the expert behind it why don't you go down to the store and buy some water and test it. This way you'll know for sure not to contact them. I would still find out there process I know there is two parts to it but the water which I purchased test for trace elements (that I had test kits for) and salinity was spot on. I had no algae blooms and my micro and macro plus coral and fish did very well.
    I used to buy ro/di water and salt water from them until i bought my first test kit. Im not saying you're going to kill anything with their water, but i know its generally high in phosphates. The reason Im not a fan of the store is because i got yelled at and told that I didn't know what i was talking about when i told a guy in there not to spend $120 on a two little fishies media reactor you can find anywhere for $30. Lonzo also told me to never come back, and that "all i ever do is come in his store and buy dry sand which is a waste of his time". Which I can understand him being upset for being called out on his dishonesty.. But what could i do? The guy was sitting in line talking about how much the price is hurting his pockets. Anyways all I am saying is there are plenty of sponsors on reef frontiers that supply water, as well as every grocery stores water units.

M.I.A

He not asking where to buy but has anyone used the local saltwater, AP does sell it and has a process. That is what my comment is saying not for the person to go and purchase or was that lost in the reading of his opening question. So how about we assist him and get off me.

Clownfish
    I am merely trying to benefit people looking for different ways to acquire aquarium water and steering them away from a shop known for its horrible customer service. I am not directing anything towards you.

Copepod

Can't say I'd try it for my tank but I'd love to see the results of someone else being the guinea pig

alveopora
    Been using Seattle Aquarium water for years. I first treat it with kalk to precipitate any phosphates. Then I put an airstone in the tub to drop the pH back down.
    If I am doing a large waterchange, I add some Instant Ocean to bring the salinity up. If only a small (10%) water change, I generally add back more water than I siphoned to end up with a correct salinity.

No photos for now - I was working out of town for a year, with NO water changes. So now I am getting the tank back cleaned up. But while I was doing regular water changes, the tank was fine with the treated Seattle Aquarium water.
    Don

Hermit Crab
    Never tried the water but all of my sand was collected at titlow beach in tacoma and long beach wa. It must be throughly cleaned though

Emerald Crab

Well i had one experience with saltwater from the Seattle Aquarium when we had the reef show in seattle couple years ago. The salinity was low and it had super low alkalinity. It was so bad the corals where pissed off and never opened up. A vendor across from us lost several of his corals from the water they provided. So im not sure if you get it from other areas it might be better. Just a warning

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information