AirWaterIce <----> BarrierReef
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The psas reef!

Millipora Addict

The psas reef!

Hello again!

Well, as i've posted before the club will be getting a 6' 125gal reef started up soon. Starting with the DIY glass tank drilling class taking place this saturday at my home in federal way. So far i've managed to collect the following equipment. I'll detail the cost so everyone can see just how much $$ is really going into this.

Used 6' 125gal tank Free! (donated by Workaholic)
    New 6' basic 2x6 construction stand FREE! (donated by Workaholic)
    Used 4' acrylic sump FREE (donated by Marlin AKA Marlinmero)
    Use BRS dual chamber media reactor FREE! (donated by Jim AKA Tecnomage)
    Used Rio 2500 return pump $10 (purchased from workaholic)
    Icecap 660 ballast with wiring harness $65 shipped (purchased off of reefcentral classifieds)
    Bucket of Instant ocean sea salt $31! (purchased at blue sierra's recent sale)
    New Vertex IN-180 skimmer $150 (purchasd at Barriers anniversary sale)
    2 glass hole saws and 3 bulkheads for herbie style drains and return $55.55 (purchased from bulk reef supply)

So far here's a list of livestock that has been collected for the tank

2 flame scallops
    1 5" and 1 2.5" derasa clams
    4 different mushroom rocks
    10+ zoa frags
    6"+ aussie gold wall hammer
    6"+ pink eye chalice
    4" red cynaria
    pink pocliapora
    10 mexican turbo snails
    10 astrea snails
    yellow sand polyp rock
    2 GSP frags
    purple tip valida
    large spaghetti leather
    and more.....

So what do you all think so far?
    Tom Wilson
    PSAS president 2010-2012

Hidden Content

Millipora Addict

Also, here's a short list of things that the club still needs to make this tank really get going

(4) 4' t5 reflectors
    4 sets of t5 endcaps
    a canopy for a 6' 125gal (72"x18" IIRC) if its got a matching stand even better! (i haven't had a chance to build one yet but its on the list to get started this weekend as I already have the material)
    Powerheads! currently we dont have flow for this tank and could really use it!

I'm not saying you have to donate anything! all though its much appreciated the club is willing to purchase some used equipment if you have it for sale
    Tom Wilson
    PSAS president 2010-2012

Hidden Content

RF Staff

Hey Tom
    Do you have an update on the list of equipment you may still need?

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk

Millipora Addict

Well,
    here's the status of the of the club reef. Due to a variety of factors, mainly cost to the club. I've decided to scale back the size of the clubs reef to pretty much what is needed. The 125 will be sold and the proceeds given to the club. With petco currently offering their $1/gallon sale I'll be picking up a 40B for the clubs tank and the Vertex skimmer to be auctioned off at a later meeting. Here's a few thing that the tank could use.

Hang on skimmer
    3' lighting (4 bulb t5 would be nice)
    powerheads (all though I should be able to conjur something up)

Thanks,
    Tom
    Tom Wilson
    PSAS president 2010-2012

Hidden Content

Goby

So, for the time being, I'll be taking up the club reef project. I picked up the equipment from Tom, well most of it. I still forgot a few things at his place. The first step is building the stand and canopy. The tank is going in my semi-heated garage. I'll be building the stand and canopy to match my garage cabinets. It will be paint-grade cabinetry and will blend in well with what I've got, and at the same time be attractive enough that it can be repainted and brought into someone's house still as an attractive piece of furniture with minimal modifications. Pictures to follow.

Goby

So, the first thing you carpenters will notice is that this stand is overbuilt a stupid amount. Here's my thinking, I will be putting a 36" wide tank (40B) on a 48" wide stand. The stand is long for extra sump capacity. That weight not being centered over the supports will add extra pressure and possibly lead to bowing. Check out the multiple layers of 2x4's laminated together.

Goby

That's the base cabinet laying on its back.

The 2x4's are supported directly down by a sheet of 3/4" plywood. That makes 2 x 3/4" sheets of poplar ply on each end laminated together. There are also downward 2x4 supports in the corners. That translates the weight to the four corners where I will have rollers so the cabinet can be moved around while working in my shop/garage.

Here are the rollers.

Goby

There is a void I left in the framing so that I can run plumbing to the sump without having to drill through 5" of solid material.

This is the unfinished cabinet without the top

Goby

Unfinished with the top

These are some shots of the cabinet as it was being primed and painted.

Goby

This is the cabinet in place without the doors.

The hood/canopy is a little unorthodox. I wanted a system that would completely enclose the tank. The canopy can be removed and disposed of for the next owner. I wanted something that would keep out the dust and debris that is inevitable in my work space. It wasn't acceptable by the boss of the house to have another tank inside. I've successfully kept tanks in the garage in the past through the winter that were contained in my cheapo lowes cabinets. The cabinets helped retain heat, and I didn't have any issue other than the limited filtration which itself leads to problems. This system will have a huge amount of water flow in-tank, and a reasonable turnover through the sump. More details to follow as the equipment comes together. Right now, the doors are still drying.

Goby

Here's the stand in place with the doors open

...and closed

It blends in pretty well. I'll probably be leaving the doors open on the top cabinet most of the time for air circulation. We'll see. The project will be at a stand-still for a week or two now while I focus on course work at UW. Then, it's off to the races piecing together the equipment, sump, and top-off system.

Goby

First I cut a hole in the back of the hood, and framed it with acrylic strips that fit tight to the used CPR overflow I'll be using.

Goby

I slid the aquarium in place, and this is the inside view of the overflow

It sticks out the back side of the hood far enough that I'll be able to plumb off of the bulkhead once it's in place.

Goby

The back of the hood is only 1/4" thick. I glued in foam to help maintain heat in the winter. So, once I cut through the foam, I wanted to seal that off from the overflowing water. So, the acrylic is wrapped around the opening and seals off the top. The top of the overflow box has a removable cap to keep debris from getting into the water column.

Goby

So, I'll start working my way through the filtration. For me, this often takes a while to tweak everything to get it the way I want it. A little extra work upfront prevents a lot of headaches down the road and allows the tank to do better on its own when life gets too busy.

Here's the sump I had. I made almost no modifications to it other than extending the far left side up with a quick acrylic box. This adds a little height so I can put an oversized 7" filter sock to filter the return water through. With it sitting higher, the water drops down further before reaching the water line. My experience in the past is that if the filter sock is sitting at the water level, gravity isn't working on your side, and the sock has to be changed more often.

The center compartment is for the skimmer. It hasn't run in a while now. Hopefully it does alright. It was on my 120 for 1 1/2 years so it should handle the 40B fine. The final compartment is the return pump. It's a mag-drive 900. That will double as return, and the feed line for the refugium.

Here is the bigger picture. The stand is 4' long, so that gives you a little perspective how big the sump will be.

The refugium will sit to the right of this. It will overflow back into the section with the return pump. Think of it as a 15gal HOB refugium for the sump.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information