AirWaterIce <----> Sierra Fish & Pets

Thread: Maximas keep moving...rrr

Clownfish

Maximas keep moving...rrr

I have 3 maximas. My question for you is, HOW do you keep these suckers from moving? I know they dont "walk" or "swim", but, they do move. Down in the sand they will turn themselves. Up on the rockwork they will attatch there "foot", then decide they want to jump from the rock. I thought they were being knocked down from the hermits or knocked over from my starfish, but I saw it "jump". I dont want to glue them down to the rock so if you have any suggestions, I am open to ideas!

reefer
    Maximas have what is known as a "byssal gland" or a "foot" and they attatch themselves with "byssal threads/fillaments" similar to mussels or other molluscs that anchor themselves. From what I know and what I have experienced pesonally, tearing or ripping of their threads is almost always fatal. A clam "jumping" from a rock is not a good thing. The best thing is to put them on a rock or something else that they can secure themselves to that is still moveable. Many people put their clams in a small plastic tray (tupperwae of some sort) or on eggcrate to avoid them securing themselves to something, but precaution is necessary, because under certain circumstances or over certain amounts of time, the "threads" can become very long, and have even been known to secure themselves to the bottom of a glass aquarium. I am not a professional, but have owned many clams in my day, and I say just put them in the place you want them, and let them settle in on their own!
    Last edited by Faciosity; 01-13-2012 at 03:48 AM.
    210 gallon full blown reef

Goby
    they like to push water out real fast at times making them jostle back and fourth a bit. i think its how they get down in the sand more right ? so when they do that sometimes they knock themselves off the rock. not always a sign of stress i would imagine unitl they attach themselves to a rock its almost best to leave them on a rock right on the sand level that u can move later on if need be or bury the rock in the sand and they should stay is my understanding of it. correct me if im wrong. just an amateurs opinion.
    Professional smartass and reef gardener wannabe.
    DarthV247

Lions stalk orcas!
    clams will always move around until they find their happy place - actually, you don't want to glue them down! Let them pick where they want to live, and they will stay there forever.

If they are moving around, the place you are putting them isn't quite right or them - i.e. too much flow, not enough light, too much light, not enough flow.... Listen to your clams and let them move around a bit! A happy clam is a healthy clam
    Hidden Content

80 gal XXL mixed reef re-established 6/10 Hidden Content

Join the Spokane Reef Society! Hidden Content Everyone is welcome!

Friend me up on FB too!
    Hidden Content

Clownfish
    thanks. I wasnt going to really glue em down...lol

RF Staff

I have a small maxima that has started moving. I think I changed the flow a bit and he doesnt like where he was. He has moved about four inches from the sand to climing up a rock. He is ony about 2.5" long. We'll see were he ends up!

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk

Clownfish
    It is interesting to see em move, but they move to a place I either cant see their colors or to a place I was wanting to put a coral...lol. Mine havent tried to climb up any rockwork though, just jump.

Thread Information