BarrierReef <----> Sierra Fish & Pets
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Questions about Generators

Holygral
    Quote Originally Posted by jrgilles View Post
    great. I have no garage or way to bring it inside, but I have a small back porch with a nice sized cavity underneath it (3- 3.5-4 ft tall, 6 ft wide, 3 ft deep or so.) I was planning on putting out some pallets or pouring a small concrete slap under there, then chaining and locking it in place and watterproffing under the porch above it to protect it from rain.

Can you get a honda in the 5000 range from lowes in the 600 dollar price range?

I was just going to have him put the entire house on the generator. If the power ever goes out, I will then just turn off all but the essentials, and have a switch to go between city power and generator power or something. He is working out the logistics and ordering parts, but that was the general idea.
    I would put it under your porch, carbon monoxide will find itself into your home and possibly kill your family. It needs to be out in the open and way from all doors and windows.

alveopora
    Quote Originally Posted by jrgilles View Post
    I was just going to have him put the entire house on the generator. If the power ever goes out, I will then just turn off all but the essentials, and have a switch to go between city power and generator power or something. He is working out the logistics and ordering parts, but that was the general idea.
    I specifically would not "put the entire house" on the generator.
    If you put the entire house on an undersized generator, you will need to go around unplugging things before you turn the generator on so you don't overload it.
    Just put specific circuits on then transfer switch. Your tank. The freezer. The refrigerator. A circuit that you can plug a microwave into. etc.

Unless, of course, a 10kw generator drops out of the sky and lands gently in your backyard ...
    Don

RF Staff
    I would put it under your porch, carbon monoxide will find itself into your home and possibly kill your family
    Slight correction....I believe holygral meant:

I would NOT put it under your porch, carbon monoxide will find itself into your home and possibly kill your family
    Check out my 375 gallon tank pics: Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    UN: guest
    Pwd: password

Hidden Content

Anthias
    Hmm. OK.
    Have a very small side yard that runs along the side of the house and that is it. Under the back stairs really seems like the only place where I can put it and store it. There is a small kitchen window near there, but that is the only window on the back of the house.

If it didn't go there, I guess I could think about getting a smaller portable one that I store under the porch, then wheel it out into the yard. With my narrow yard though, that would get it about 6-8 feet from the house, but it would also be on the side of the house with all the windows.

Let me know your thoughts.... could be an issue
    Hidden Content
    Rob - Seattle Central District
    75 G Display - 20 G Fuge - 50 G sump
    2 X 250W MH/4 X 65W Actinic CF
    Geo 612 Calcium Reactor - SWC 160 Cone Skimmer
    TLF Kalkwasser Reactor 300 - Tank Started Jan 2010

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information