Marine Depot <----> Sierra Fish & Pets
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fish Store Location

Cleaner Shrimp
    South end!

New Forum member!
    Great feedback all! Keep it coming.

I'm leaning towards auburn area, I will have to travel to portland every weekend or so and adding an extra 1-1.5 hours from everett will not be fun. But im always open to look at everything before we choose a spot.

Anthias
    I'm in seattle, but from what I hear on the forums, I would go with the far south (puyallup or tacoma) or up north (everett/marysville.)

Issaquah has a good store (blue sierra) and there is Barrier reef in renton, but very close to bellevue on the east side. The close north side has Red C. I'd maybe stay out of their areas as they are great stores and I think they have it covered.

Bellevue also has salt water city.

I constantly see people in tacoma area talking about the need though, and there are a good number of people up north who would give you buisness, and a store in everett or even a bit farther north should be pretty good draw for all the northerners...
    Hidden Content
    Rob - Seattle Central District
    75 G Display - 20 G Fuge - 50 G sump
    2 X 250W MH/4 X 65W Actinic CF
    Geo 612 Calcium Reactor - SWC 160 Cone Skimmer
    TLF Kalkwasser Reactor 300 - Tank Started Jan 2010

Anthias
    Missed your comment about driving to portland. If that is the case, I would definately chose something on the south side. A store serving the Auburn, tacoma, puyallup area sounds like a good bet. LOTS of reefers down in puyallup, so I'd make sure it is fairly accessable to them, if possible (easy access via I-5 or whatever)
    Hidden Content
    Rob - Seattle Central District
    75 G Display - 20 G Fuge - 50 G sump
    2 X 250W MH/4 X 65W Actinic CF
    Geo 612 Calcium Reactor - SWC 160 Cone Skimmer
    TLF Kalkwasser Reactor 300 - Tank Started Jan 2010

Amphipod
    I vote Tacoma or Puyallup!! There isn't much choice of LFS in this area, other then the over priced PETCO, for the most part.

Amphipod
    Here's a thought, if you so happen to open one in the southend (tacoma, puyallup, olympia area) I promise I will shop there!!! Just an idea. lol

Hermit Crab
    I vote Shelton! There are no fish stores here other than Walmart. I would love to see a really good store go up in Olympia but if you did Tacoma/Puyallup I would make the trip over.

Sea Urchin
    I vote for the Northend, Snohomish County area. Probably the best bet would be Everett area as you're far enough from the competition to do a good amount of business.

Renton has an awesome reef specialty store which is close to Auburn, Kent and the others in the south. It is also a short drive from the eastside.
    Issaquah also has a saltwater specialty store.
    Bellevue fwiw has a saltwater speciaty store too.
    Shoreline has a very nice store and is near people in the South Snohomish county and North King county area.
    Kirkland has an adequate saltwater store too.

Keep your options open and make sure you check your competition out in what ever area you choose. This business is very dependant on customers. If word gets out that you're not the greatest place to go and shop with among other things... Well you probably know what can happen. Good pricing, clean store and good lighting are a few key elements.

FWIW, I was able to check out a few of the saltwater specialty stores this month in Oregon and Vacouver Washington area. None of the stores I visited on my trip where anything to write home about.

Cheers,
    Alex
    "It's an Edmonds kind of day" Hidden Content

Sea Urchin
    Am I bad, Sorry I didn't see your comment on travel to Portland on the weekends before I posted. If you're looking in the southend area, I'd say look from Tacoma or southward from there.

Cheers,
    Alex

Butterflyfish
    theres stores here e.g. wild side, tropical fish world, and aquarium paradise but all those stores dont seem to be dedicated to just sw and are more so just pet stores imo rather than an actual lfs.
    -d
    -299g display.

Wrasse
    BOB,
    So I have to ask, What will set your store apart from the other? Why will I come to your store for my saltwater needs? Are you going to offer anything special?

Blenny
    I would be willing to bet that if you didn't get far enough away from the competition people will just keep going to the places they know. Everyone in the Auburn area is within 20 minutes of barrier reef, Blue Sierra, and about 30 minutes from Saltwater City. People in the Everett or farther north have to drive 40 minutes to the closest fish store in Shoreline and even further to get to Barrier and the others. If your within 30 minutes of all these stores you would have to have a pretty special store to beat them. Barrier is one of the only local saltwater stores that can afford to have an actual knowledgeable crew. What that means is they are open consistent hours, have great looking clean tanks with good stock, and competitive prices. A lot of people like Saltwater City because they are the only store to keep all of their fish in a large qt tank for two weeks before they will even sell them. At Red C Aquarium the owner is a really nice guy and probably the most patient he will explain anything about the hobby to anyone. When I was new to the hobby he would always answer all my question without making me feel stupid. The other thing I always liked about him is anytime someone is interested in a fish he would feed them for you without having to ask!!!! He's like the magic man getting fish to eat lol. I always hate asking if someone will feed the fish for me half the stores they kinda just say oh they eat and almost seem put off if you insist they show you it's just awkward. That's my argument for the northenders like me
    210 Gallon Display / 50 Gallon sump/Refugium
    Eheim 1262 return pump / SWC180 Cone Skimmer
    Reeffiltration LED's / Koralia K4's & Tunze 6105
    Neptune Apex

Sea Urchin
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosco83 View Post
    I would be willing to bet that if you didn't get far enough away from the competition people will just keep going to the places they know. Everyone in the Auburn area is within 20 minutes of barrier reef, Blue Sierra, and about 30 minutes from Saltwater City. People in the Everett or farther north have to drive 40 minutes to the closest fish store in Shoreline and even further to get to Barrier and the others. If your within 30 minutes of all these stores you would have to have a pretty special store to beat them. Barrier is one of the only local saltwater stores that can afford to have an actual knowledgeable crew. What that means is they are open consistent hours, have great looking clean tanks with good stock, and competitive prices. A lot of people like Saltwater City because they are the only store to keep all of their fish in a large qt tank for two weeks before they will even sell them. At Red C Aquarium the owner is a really nice guy and probably the most patient he will explain anything about the hobby to anyone. When I was new to the hobby he would always answer all my question without making me feel stupid. The other thing I always liked about him is anytime someone is interested in a fish he would feed them for you without having to ask!!!! He's like the magic man getting fish to eat lol. I always hate asking if someone will feed the fish for me half the stores they kinda just say oh they eat and almost seem put off if you insist they show you it's just awkward. That's my argument for the northenders like me
    I think you hit all the high points right on. Great reasons for the Northend or somewhere not within a 20-30 minute drive or less from any specialty saltwater store.

Cheers,
    Alex

Copepod
    Everett needs a store LFS bad

iFish
    I think the auburn or Federal way area would be great..20 min from Tacoma,20 min from Seattle..a good middle
    180 gallon plus 70 gallon sump
    2x250,1x400 watt halides,4xvho actinic too many animals on rocks and too much fish
    400 lbs of liverock ,mostly lps, zoas, rics,a few sps and softies

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information