Sierra Fish & Pets <----> Premium Aquatics

Thread: New Guy In Town

Copepod

Arrow New Guy In Town

Hi everyone! I just moved to Olympia and beginning my journey into the pico reef world. I'll start a build page once my tank comes in on Monday. I have owned saltwater tanks in the past but never a reef tank and never a pico. I am open to suggestions and tips but I did choose a tank already - Eheim Aquastyle Aquarium w/ 2 Free Eheim Replacement Filter Pads

Also with being new to the area I would love to hear about some nice lfs. I am willing to drive up to Tacoma if that is where the nice ones are.

Thanks and look forward to meeting/gaining knowledge from everyone here!!

RF STAFF
    Welcome to RF!! . Small tanks can be fun! I went from a 90 gal to a 75 gal to a 38 gal to a 24 gal and the last tank was a 10 gal that unfortunately didn't see water, but I enjoyed the small tanks just as much as the big. The main thing would be to stay on top of things as the smaller the volume, the more easily things are affected/influenced like temp etc but the fact that you have kept saltwater tanks before is a plus! Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

Come Join Us
    Hidden Content

Have you helped a fellow reefer today??

copod
    HEY! And a BIG to Reef Frontiers as well as the Greater Puget Sound Reefing Comunity. Let us know how we may help, until then check out our great Resource Library and Members Showcase threads for some inspiration.

Cheers, Todd

Kevin
    Welcome! I'll be tagging along cuz little tanks scare me, lol! hope to learn a thing or two!

RF Staff

Welcome! Pico's are fun. I have had a 3 gal now for over a year.
    As far as LFS's, you might have to drive a little farther north, but it is well worth it.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

Surgeonfish
    Welcome.
    The better fish stores are a longer drive than Tacoma.
    Barrier in north Renton.
    Blue Serria in Issaquah.
    Saltwater City in Belevue
    Red C is north seattle ( I think)
    A new shop is going to be opening soon in Tukwila, Oceans by Design
    There are others around, but you should get the idea.
    I've been making the drive for a long time.lol

Copepod

Thank you for the warm welcomes! I was hoping to not drive that far but if that is where the good ones are then that is where I'll be going.

Also just saw a nice post about turning an Aquaclear filter 30 into a refuge so I'll be doing some DIY work also for the first time...kinda excited! http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?...to-a-refugium/

RF Staff

If you can, you really need to make it up for Barrier Reefs Anniversary sale, if for nothing else but to meet people. And of course see the shop. Its a good time.
    Check out the sponsors forums. I know a few of them are having and event of some kind going on over the next few months. PSAS is having a meeting at Red C in shoreline I think in January. It would be a really good meeting to go to.

Kevin
    and don"t forget the grand opening of Oceans by Design in tukwilla area. you can follow their progress on the thread "let's build a store" I'm holding out in hopes for a great sale!

RF Staff

Quote Originally Posted by kpiotrowski View Post
    and don"t forget the grand opening of Oceans by Design in tukwilla area. you can follow their progress on the thread "let's build a store" I'm holding out in hopes for a great sale!
    OH YEAH! Cant wait! That will be a great time too!
    You moved into the area just at the right time. You might not be able to get much in livestock, but hardware sales and getting together with everyone in the area at these events, will be very much worth the trip up.

Copepod

Sounds good, I'll keep track of the store progress and I'll see about barrier sales tho I don't think I'll need anything...doesn't mean I wouldn't buy something tho lol .

Copepod

Has anyone been to or have heard anything about Aquarium Paradise | Your Choice for Lakewood, Washington Aquarium - Aquarium Paradise? They are close by to me but notice no one has mentioned them...

Surgeonfish
    Aquarium Paradise use to be one of the best places for saltwater, many years ago.( 15-20 years ago ) But has not kept up with the times. ( Information, equipment ) In fact I believe they stopped doing saltwater for a while.
    There is a store in Puyallup called Wildside Pets that has some saltwater, but is more of a all around pet store.

Copepod

Thanks for the info mfinn...went to Aquarium Paradise and was very disappointed but since they are so close I decided to get the live rock from them. Here is the link to my new thread I started for my build if anyone wants to follow it along. http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/...on-pico-65527/

Thread Information