Sierra Fish & Pets <----> BarrierReef
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 411121314

Thread: Suzanne May 180 Gallon Reef Build

Amphipod

Update: OBD is doing all they can to replace my lights YIPPY. Thanks MIKE!

Now my plans... update:
    1. I have been doing water changes every 2 weeks..have not been able to do this weekly.. Moved some corals around and they seem to be doing better.
    2. Red worms have been controlled. I added 2 sapphire damsels.. they have helped a lot
    3. I got a really great sand sifting star fish.. fun ! so cool.. he seems to be happy away cleaning. Also got a couple of emerald crabs for the tank. Don't see them much but they are around.
    4. Have not done a water flow change..but am thinking of the swirl sweeps..like the idea of more motion.. just have to save up the money for it.
    5. Did not do purple up.. I think I am doing ok there.. just need to keep working on the lighting..once OBD gets me the new lights I can work on controlling it better and am able to keep algea under control. So speaking of algea.. I started getting purple hairy algea on my brain coral..grr. So while I was getting OBD to look into my lights I had them off for 2 days.. and viola the purple algea went away. So lighting and amount of time under full light is the factor here. I have changed my lighting cycle to be 7am-10am blue only, 10-5pm full on, 5pm-10pm blue only.. since that is my only option. I will see how the week goes. When I do water changes.. I am blowing out the detritus into the water collumn so the skimmer can get it. and tooth brush scrubbing rocks to keep the algea at bay.. Hopefully I can figure out the right flow and light so I don't have to resort to toothbrush cleaning.

Amphipod

My sailfin and torch. https://www.flickr.com/photos/suzannemay/14206680857/

My brain covered in aglea.. sad.. https://www.flickr.com/photos/suzann...n/photostream/
    starfish.jpg

Hopefully you can see the star fish picture..

My new leather..
    WP_001018.jpg
    Last edited by suzannemay; 06-11-2014 at 01:47 PM.

Amphipod

Update:
    Lights are replaced and can I say AWESOME...

Performing water changes every 2 weeks.

Then I started having a Cyano outbreak.. so I got to remove some phosphates. I put in 1/3 of the phosphate pearls in my reactor..took out my carbon and have it sitting under the skimmer outflow..Now I have a bacteria bloom..geesh..

Not sure if the bloom was from adding teh phosphate pearls or what.. or if it is just temperature..it's been rather warm these days.

I am guessing it will clear soon..I am giving the phosphate stuff 2 weeks to clear the cyano...bummer..

Amphipod

Oh and my star fish didn't make it.. sad..
    and eradicated some green bubble algea that decided to grow on my torch by dipping the torch in RPS..hopefully I didn't miss any and it won't spread. I was surprised by how hard those little green bubbles are...unfortunately got a few squirts in the face by them..so far I haven't grown any green bubbles yet ...

Amphipod

Things are balancing out. I have less algea(brown) however the cyano..is still there. I will add more phosphate pearls this week..and do another water change...I have turned off the lights but that only was temporary..

Speaking of water change.. in my new house I am so designing a system to make the water changes so much quicker. Not sure how yet.. but I will get my little brain moving on it.. soon..
    Feeling like a slave to water change with such a big tank.. I want to enjoy the tank not constantly have to haul water...scrub rocks..suck out cyano... feeling discouraged today

Amphipod

Well.. after a year finally I have sold my house and we are ready to move into my new place.. bad news is the tank doesn't fit in my new space. So breaking it down and selling it is my only option.. However.. I plan to start up again after the move but with a different tank size so I will start a new thread build then.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 411121314

Thread Information