Premium Aquatics <----> BarrierReef
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Acro flaking why?

Hermit Crab
    Quote Originally Posted by DTECH07 View Post
    You figure the coral is a tank at a home or business, then transported to the swap, then bagged and the acclimated to your tank. Corals are very hardy depending on the species but stress is still present IMHO your issue. I would suggest you get a better test kit is you love your corals.
    I figured it was stress was just making sure there wasn't something I should do or look for. As for as the test kits I do agree that you need a good dependable test kit I am just using up the API test kit that came with a tank setup I bought but use different test kits depending on what I am testing for like KH and Calcium I use Saliferts, Mg and iodine I use Red Sea, Stron. Sea Chem, Phosphates hanna digital (and calcium but can't seem to get it working correctly) The only API tests I use is Ph,ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite until its gone. I will be getting a digital PH but trying to decide to invest in just a PH monintor or an better system from digital aquatics or neptune that would work for hopefully LED upgrade in the future also. I am a also a member on 3reef before I found this forum and they had a awesome chart that rated each test kit. here is a link Hope I don't get in trouble posting about another forum site but I thought it was helpfull in choosing a test kit Test Kit Comparison - 3reef Reef Aquarium Forum I know I got a little side tracked on this thread but this is what I used to choose my kits

M.I.A

Well Its in my favorites now Thxs!

Kevin
    I want to get back to the ammonia. You should'nt have ANY detectable.

Hermit Crab
    Quote Originally Posted by kpiotrowski View Post
    I want to get back to the ammonia. You should'nt have ANY detectable.
    Yes I know I may have a little spike do to extra feedings for my sailfin tang that was getting really skinny but he either died or was eaten by something since he is gone now. I am back to my regular feedings and run a mixture of carbon and Zeolite crystals to help eliminate any ammonia. Well I did but not right now since I am in the middle of taking my sump completely apart to add baffles to help eliminate micro bubbles and try to get my skimmer working again.

Hermit Crab

Kevin
    A well established tank with a good ratio of live rock should be able to keep up with variables such as an increase in feeding or additon of livestock. You may want to look into that and not try to rely on chemicals or addtives.

Hermit Crab
    Quote Originally Posted by kpiotrowski View Post
    A well established tank with a good ratio of live rock should be able to keep up with variables such as an increase in feeding or additon of livestock. You may want to look into that and not try to rely on chemicals or addtives.
    Yes I agree I don't rely on chemicals this is just media that I mix with my carbon about 80% carbon and 20% zeo. My test kit may be bad also I didn't retest it to verify but I didn't screw something up I will retest that later tonight after I get my baffles caulked in place so it can dry overnight

Life is A Highway...
    Maybe cross contamination- a coral slime from another coral transfered by you or someone else's hands? A very common thing when people are transfering corals we get too excited to not rinse our hands between touching corals.
    Trying to help everyone to make this hobby as enjoyable as possible without any Drama!Hidden Content

MCMAC

Hidden Content

Change how you see....
    Not how you look.
    B.G.

Amphipod

This may be something you already looked into, but have you made sure that no power-heads are blowing directly onto the ACRO? I had this happen once when a Korelia was blowing directly onto a sps and it started to bleach, after I moved the power-head the coral grew back just fine.

Hermit Crab
    Its to late now but there is a power facing its direction but on a timer to run for 3 minutes off for 3 minutes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information