BarrierReef <----> Marine Depot

Thread: toadstool leather help!

New Forum member!

toadstool leather help!

purchased a new toadstool sat. yesterday it was looking sad and cap was all slumped over. today it looks like it is starting to fall apart. it was yellow but now seems to be turning brown from the inside and when I picked it up it is leaking a brown fluid it is still somewhat alive since it shrunk up when I moved it out of the tank. Is it dead? I dont want it to kill everything else in the tank.

Scarlet Begonias
    Jen, can you get us a pic real quick, it don't sound good
    Rome was not built in a day............................ neither is a reef. Hidden Content

New Forum member!
    Pic from saturday, sunday and then today. He looks worse than in the picture. I just hate to throw him away if he is not truly dead.

Scarlet Begonias
    I haven't dealt with leathers in a long time, but that sure don't look good Jen, do you have a quarantine tank you could put it in?
    Rome was not built in a day............................ neither is a reef. Hidden Content

New Forum member!
    I have a new fish in there and it has poor lighting. Should I just get rid of it?

Scarlet Begonias
    My first thought is yes.

RF Staff

Yes, you want to just get rid of it. I had the same problem with that species. Looks like a Yellow fiji leather. I had one in my tank for two years. Was beautiful. I bought another one from an LFS and in a matter of days, it did the same thing yours is doing. AND unfortunately, the one I had for two years, followed right along with it. It is dying. I tried everything to save them and nothing I did worked. Fragging, dipping, moved to different tank. Had to be a disease that it came in with.

Scarlet Begonias
    Quote Originally Posted by IPisces View Post
    Yes, you want to just get rid of it. I had the same problem with that species. Looks like a Yellow fiji leather. I had one in my tank for two years. Was beautiful. I bought another one from an LFS and in a matter of days, it did the same thing yours is doing. AND unfortunately, the one I had for two years, followed right along with it. It is dying. I tried everything to save them and nothing I did worked. Fragging, dipping, moved to different tank. Had to be a disease that it came in with.
    Thanx for the help

New Forum member!
    He is in the garbage now. I hope it does not spread to my other small leathers. I don't think I will try a yellow one again it sounds like they are not very hardy. Thank you for your help.

Scarlet Begonias
    They are fairly hardy, I have had one for almost 9 years, I think you just got a poor one. If you want to try another I could get you a piece of mine?

RF Staff

They usually are very hardy. I will probably get another one. I think its odd that you lost yours in a way that sounds just like the way mine went. It didn't seem to effect my other leathers, just the other yellow fiji. I was not happy. I had that first yellow one for two years. Since it was doing so well, I thought maybe it was something in my tank so after fragging and dipping the still good parts off the dying one, I moved them to the tank with the one that was doing well. They continued to disintegrate. Then the other one started not opening and then stared to disintegrate from the bottom up. I wish I had an idea why it happed, but I can only speculate that it was a bacterial infection. I tried coral Rx, Melafix, Seachem reef dip. Obviously none of them worked. Once it started going there was no stopping it.

New Forum member!
    Charlie, if you would be willing i would like to try one again. I really like how they look.

Speaker To Animals

I have my grown out frag from Charlie's original coral and 4 other frags that are various sizes also (chopped off of the one in my display). Are there any other soft corals in the tank? Maybe you had som softie coral-warfare going on?
    [LostCreek 270 Reef]Hidden Content Hidden Content

New Forum member!
    Everything else is fine, I think it was just bad luck with this one.

Thread Information