AirWaterIce <----> BarrierReef
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910

Thread: Kim's 75

aka Rob
    hi Kim,

is the starry blenny an algae eater? I don't know. I do know the lawnmower blenny is.
    sounds like you got the GFO covered.
    I agree that if your canister was working for you on the 36, then maybe you should add it to your 75? sounds like you are trying everything. maybe you need to follow Carla's advice and be patient???? i never liked that answer, but it works for her!!!

pics would be nice. the bad with the good, right!!!

Scarlet Begonias
    LOL..................... Thanks Rob
    Rome was not built in a day............................ neither is a reef. Hidden Content

Mantis Shrimp
    Quote Originally Posted by kamar View Post
    I did. I ran the pipe cleaner they give you through there thinking I might dislodge something. I never cleaned my HOB one ever in six years and it still worked great. I know you had an urchin in your tank - do you still? How did he work out for you? Any complaints about eating too much coralline? I thought he was so cute.
    I have a halloween pincushion urchin still. He's doing very well in the tank. He eats algae and such and if he does eat coralline... I wish he would do a better job at getting it off the glass.
    I love sushi! Is that strange?
    Hidden Content Hidden Content - Hidden Content - Hidden Content

aka Rob
    how's it going Kim? I hope your hair algae is getting under control?????

Hermit Crab

Ok - refugium section is now set up!!

I got sea lettuce, chaeto and gracilaria. There's quite a wad of algae in there now, and I'm lighting it on a reverse cycle with (2) LED bulbs in the 5,000K range. The whole section is lit up pretty good. The red gracilaria is really pretty! It's a branching algae that almost looks like a coral. I really like that one. I would put it in the display it's so pretty, but I think the urchin might eat it. The sea lettuce kind of floats around everywhere, so I had to rig up a screen barrier to keep it from floating over into the return. I did a little cleaning in the refuge section before adding the algae, and found about a dozen pods, which I made sure I returned back in there. I just love these little guys, and it was fun to watch them jet off into the water.

I'm still pulling out wads of algae in the display, but I'm sticking with it and it looks pretty good once I get most of it out. Thankfully, it's easy to remove. I also believe that the first batch of recharged GFO wasn't good, so wasn't pulling out PO4 like it should. I got another single reactor just for the recharging process and the new batch is working great. The algae in the display turned visibly browner and weaker after changing out the GFO last time. I got a huge F&S Phospure pad, and the commercial size Poly Filter, which I cut both into manageable sizes for the baffles in the sump. I think in time, and using my new methods, I will eventually get through this.

Scarlet Begonias
    Good luck, I have a bunch of gracilaria, wish I would have known you needed some!!!
    I still have the "blue" for you
    Rome was not built in a day............................ neither is a reef. Hidden Content

Hermit Crab

Oh, thank you! I will have to get up there and get it from you!

Scarlet Begonias
    Shoot me an email or a private message and we can arrange things. I am goin to Spokane for their BBQ next week so that is kinda shot, but the week after is wide open

Hermit Crab

Okey dokey. Have a nice time.

Cleaner Shrimp
    Hey Kim, I'm sure you've said this and I didn't look back far enough, but how long has your tank been set up? Mine's only been up a year, and I think it was just a cycle of the tank, I did a lot of different things (manual removal, caulerpa in the sump, Dr. Tim's wasteaway, Tangs (didn't help at all), cut back my light cycle, less feeding). I'm not sure any of it really worked, or maybe all of it did. I actually think that the main thing that worked was the length of time it was set up.

Matt

Hermit Crab

Hey Matt, November. I cured the rock for over 2 months and then set the tank up this past November. You may be right about that . . . just giving it time and continuing with the methods I know work. I went through your thread a bit, and like you, I discovered siphoning into a strainer in the sump, which really works well. I've decided to keep the skimmer I have for now as I don't want to change too many things at once so I know what works. My biggest complaint with my skimmer is that it skims too wet, which I guess is not a harmful thing, really. I like your blue urchin . . . I got one too and he really does a good job. I read about, and have used the hydrogen peroxide trick too, and it really works! I just make sure I don't get it on any living tissue, as it's a strong oxidizer, and I am not dosing.

Thanks for chiming in Matt! I really appreciate the advice, and the words of encouragement if nothing else. Maybe by this fall I too will see some improvements if I continue my usual maintenance routine. You tank looks awesome now!!

Hermit Crab

Oh, and one other thing that I'm going to change are the flow accelerator returns . . . I don't like them at all. They shoot a garden hose type of stream of water that is strong in the front, but no where else. It bounces off the front of the glass with such force that it moves the sand from the front of the tank into piles every few days, and is not turbulent at all. I found where I can get different returns that have a propeller, rotating disc, etc. that will break that jet stream up.

Mantis Shrimp
    Hey Kim! How is the tank coming a long? Any progress?

Mantis Shrimp
    Anything happening in water world?

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910

Thread Information