Marine Depot <----> Premium Aquatics

Thread: Whats wrong?

Clownfish

Whats wrong?

Kinda freaking out! I just got done testing my water. Everything is great except for my ca/alk/mag. My alk is 5! Ca is 350! But my mg os at 2,050!!! I did a 70g w/c 11 days ago. I dont dose anything i have a mixed reef. No major colonys of sps/lps corals. Tank temp stays a constant 80, sometimes getting up to 82. Ive been using the same bucket of salt for all the other w/c's. System size gallon wise is right around 240-245 gallons. Pleas help. Do i dose ca and alk to raise them? I have c-balance 2 part, which has mg also. Do i do another big w/c? I havent dosed anything in a month+. Help/suggestions would be fantastic! So far the fish and lps/softies seem fine. The acro and birdsnest i have seem fine. My montipora isnt doin so good. Ive pretty much lost ALL my green, red has stopped growing, purple is showing white spots in 2 different places. I use Elos test kits. All 3 are new.
    Jason

Sea Urchin
    Make a small bucket of new water and test that. If all is well I'd do some massive WC's to get parameters back in balance.
    Also have you used these new test kits before now? I'd check those results against another if possible.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    Hidden Content There is nothing like being a Reefer Hidden Content

Fish Tank Freak
    How do the corals in the tank look? Are they bleaching, STN,RTN? Do they have polyp extension or are they pissed off? Did you do all of your tests a second time to make sure you didn't do something wrong?

If the corals are fine, I would quit freaking out and take things slowly.

Clownfish
    Im not freaking out as in moving fast. Just in my head. I used the kits the first time when i did my last w/c. Yesterday, i did all 3 tests twice just in vase i did mess up (been known to do that). As far as rtn/stn. My green monti was gast, started on the outer rim moving inward. My purple monti has white twords the middle. Nothing on the edge. Question. Is it possible for the chemicals to seperate in the bucket? You know, the more empty the bucket gets, the higher the mag could be? I usually roll the bucket around or "mix" it up before i put the salt in the water. I dont think i did this time.

Sea Urchin
    Personally I've never had an issue with separation in my salt. I usually just stir the top half and then use. Again have you tested your makeup water?

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    Hidden Content There is nothing like being a Reefer Hidden Content

Clownfish
    Culprit found. Bad test kit for the mg. Its now in the round bin. Have a new kit now. Much better. Ca and alk are low, but mg is sitting at 1280. Goin to start dosing ca and alk again. Thanks for takin a min and reding/responding to me. Thank you.

Blenny
    Glad to hear its ok man.

RF Staff
    At ah away to help him boys
    Boomer

Want to Talk Chemistry ! Hidden Content

Want to See More !

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

If you See Me Running You Better Catch-Up

An explosion can be defined as a loud noise, accompanied by the sudden going away of things, from a place where they use to be.

Thread Information