Marine Depot <----> Sierra Fish & Pets
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 30 gallon cube tank aiptasia help!!

New Forum member!

30 gallon cube tank aiptasia help!!

I've tried it all, Jos juice, aiptasia x, peppermint shrimp and nudibranches!! Nothing is working. What would be the best way to get rid of these guys because my tank is starting to die off from the aiptasia stinging my corals

Cleaner Shrimp
    I'm in the same boat, my biocube is under attack from these little bastards. I'm on my last try now with the nudies. If that doesn't work I'm going to have to ditch all my rock and start fresh I hope your battle goes better then mine has so far.
    Thomas
    125 gallon reef a work in progress Hidden Content
    Pround member of the PNWMAS
    Hidden Content

New Forum member!

Ya it's crazy because a week ago I had 2 little ones now there about 3 inches tall.. And there is about 30 of them popping up some in spots where I can't use aiptasia x or jos juice because they are right in the middle of my sunny d zoas

Surgeonfish
    I've tried pretty much every solution, every tip that has been mentioned on numerous threads.
    The only thing that has worked long term for me ( excluding nuking the rock and starting over ) is a matted file fish.
    I bought one from Barrier Reef a few years ago for my 240 gallon softy tank.
    It had many, many aptasias and majanos.
    It took a couple months before I really noticed anything different and it took a few more months before I had trouble seeing any left.
    I would guess it took a good 6 months, maybe a little more before the tank was clean of any aptasias and majanos.
    I moved the fish to another tank that had a few in and it cleaned that tank as well.

Amphipod
    Quote Originally Posted by mfinn View Post
    I've tried pretty much every solution, every tip that has been mentioned on numerous threads.
    The only thing that has worked long term for me ( excluding nuking the rock and starting over ) is a matted file fish.
    I bought one from Barrier Reef a few years ago for my 240 gallon softy tank.
    It had many, many aptasias and majanos.
    It took a couple months before I really noticed anything different and it took a few more months before I had trouble seeing any left.
    I would guess it took a good 6 months, maybe a little more before the tank was clean of any aptasias and majanos.
    I moved the fish to another tank that had a few in and it cleaned that tank as well.
    Very true. IMO I like fish take care of the nuisance anemone. File fish, copper band butterfly. peppermint shrimps sometimes work some don't depends on the species.
    Chemicals imo seem to help spreading the nuisane.

Shoulda been a fish!
    Yeah I would try the filefish if you can find one. Copperband butterfly do an excellent job but your tank is too small
    -Shawn
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Canon T1i, 100mm Tokina Macro Lens

Clownfish
    If i dont feed the tank for like 3-4 days my peppermint shrimp will clear them all out when i get a wave. Other than that i use lemon juice in a bottle and a medical syringe. Works for me about every 2-3 injections. Besides the nudi's, butterfly fish and file fish im not sure.

Hermit Crab

I would see if someone in the forum has a file fish they may sell or lend you. I had some aptasia in my setup back in Washington and I purchased the file fish and it wiped em out. Then I just sold the fish.

New Forum member!

That sounds good to me, will a file fish be ok in a 30 gallon zoa tank? As far as being reef safe

Cleaner Shrimp
    Quote Originally Posted by jasminerice114 View Post
    That sounds good to me, will a file fish be ok in a 30 gallon zoa tank? As far as being reef safe
    It will most likely decimate your zoanthid and palyotha corals.
    Thomas
    125 gallon reef a work in progress Hidden Content
    Pround member of the PNWMAS
    Hidden Content

Copepod

I have heard people have had mixed results with the Majano Wands. I am curious to see how those work out...

Copepod

I had an issue a few years back in my 90gal reef. I bought a bunch (10) of peppermint shrimp. Within a couple of weeks the aiptasia was gone! They show up every once in a while a few show up. I mix up a slurry of thick kalkwasser then cover the buggers using a turkey injector. Seems to work for me.

Butterflyfish
    I've been trying to get a.zapper from swc for awhile now... may ordee from md or something idk.
    D
    -299g display.

tat2z_21

aThe zapper is cool but not as cool as a 1.8w blue laser. It fries them from the foot up. Love my little laser. There are serious dangers that come with the use of any laser, but these high powered ones really are dangerous to anyone else that is in the room. I use it at night when the house is quiet and the kids are down. Use a flashlight and fry them.
    Olduvai Theory - This is a one-shot affair. If we fail, this planetary system fails so far as intelligence is concerned. The same will be true of other planetary systems. On each of them there will be one chance, and one chance only.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Butterflyfish
    Where does one get a high powered laser beam such as this? Any info is appreciated. U can pm me if u like. Thxs
    -d
    -299g display.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information