Marine Depot <----> Premium Aquatics

Thread: Current Tru Lumen Pro LED sets review.

RF Staff

Current Tru Lumen Pro LED sets review.

I purchased 2 of the Tru Lumen Pro LED lights strip sets from Current. This set consists of one 48" LED strip of a combination of white and blue alternating LEDs, they call marine fusion and one strip of deep water blue LED lights. It also includes a ballast for each strip and a dimmer control for each strip. It also has two types of mounting hardware. This is the only thing I didn't like, the tank mounts are totally worthless, very cheap and flimsy. The mounting hardware for the hood are much better and very well made. Since I have a taller hood, I wanted something different. My son rigged up an aluminum bracket that we attached to the lights and suspended it from the hood with chain. I also lined the inside of the top of the hood with aluminum foil to increase the reflectiveness. The light themselves are such an improvement over the two 36" 4 bulb t5 lights that I use to have. The tank has more of a blue hue to it but it seems so much clearer and cleaner with these lights. I can now grow any type of coral I want and I am very happy with them.

Cleaner Shrimp
    What size tank are you putting these on? I believe they are only good for shallow tanks or accent lighting being the leds are .25 watts.
    My name is Chris and here is my tank!
    Hidden Content

RF Staff
    I have them on a 90 gallon tank, 25" tall. They do very well but you need to read the recommendations on their Current Tru Lumen Pro LED website.
    http://www.current-usa.com/wp-conten...ZING-Guide.pdf

Cleaner Shrimp
    I hope they work out I just thought most people were running these 0.25 watt led strips for shimmer effect. Granted there is 120w total. But your right it says 2 dual strips to grow sps in a 48" long tank, the only thing that it doesn't state it how deep that 48" tank is... It will be interesting to see how your corals react however. Do you have any sps?
    Hidden Content

RF Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by ReefGeeker View Post
    I hope they work out I just thought most people were running these 0.25 watt led strips for shimmer effect. Granted there is 120w total. But your right it says 2 dual strips to grow sps in a 48" long tank, the only thing that it doesn't state it how deep that 48" tank is... It will be interesting to see how your corals react however. Do you have any sps?
    It actually recommends 2 sets of 2 for a 90 gallon tank. Most tanks that are 90 are 25" deep. I got these from Eric at Oceans by Design and he said that I can grow any coral I want with these lights. I do have several sps and they are doing well.

Cleaner Shrimp
    Well right on! Can we see a FTS and a few pics? What was the total cost for the setup?
    Hidden Content

Cleaner Shrimp
    BTW I just check out your MOTM and wow nice tank can't wait to see a FTS with your LED's!!!!
    Hidden Content

RF Staff
    I will try to get a full tank shot when my son comes out, he has a very nice camera, I have a cheap one and it doesn't take good shots. I just have to figure out how to post them. I am not real computer savvy. I also will send you a pm.

New Forum member!
    Any updates on the tank shot?

Amphipod

What's the ratings for LED and depth. I have read the technical stuff but since I ain't an electrician it doesn't make since to me. 5 w ARE THE STRONGEST I HAVE SEEN but with his only being .25 w I would love led but don't want to fork the 7-8 dollars out. Have a 90

RF Staff
    I don't know what the ratings are, but I also have a 90 and the two sets of two, is what they recommend and I keep sps, lps, at all levels and they are all doing well. I will see if I can get a full tank shot.

RF Staff
    Attachment 44589 Full tank shot

Amphipod

the attachment i dont think is working. it gives me a error and says contact administrator.
    90 Gal Long, 2x250MH,4xT5's, 20 Gal sump, ASM Mini G Skimmer, 2x300Watt heaters, 1/3 HP Chiller, and more...

RF Staff
    It may take me a little time to figure this out.

Thread Information