Premium Aquatics <----> AirWaterIce
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Skimmer Selection

Reef
    If you are still looking after seeing OBD very nice skimmer Aqua Euro has a nice 400 cone with a pin wheel pump.

aka Rob
    hi Kim. I agree that mesh and needle wheel are similar technology, but the needle wheel is less likely to get plugged up. I built a DIY mesh wheel skimmer and it worked great until it quit. the mesh got plugged up and it would quit. my big skimmer on the 500 was a needle wheel recirculating pump with a venture. I liked it but did have the same salt creep problem in the venture. I tried to run RO through it once a week or so but it would still get plugged up. it just became part of my maintenance to clean it.
    I also had a AquaC that I used for years before getting the recirc skimmer. it was good but also had salt creep plug up it's air intake, that took me a long time to figure out the first time. but I just took out the air intake once a month and rinsed it off in hot water. the other problem I had with that skimmer was small snails getting stuck in the spray injector. that was my fault as I didn't use a screen on my pump intake. I actually like the the spray injection better but it used more power and made more noise than the recirc skimmer.
    I have never used a air stone skimmer but they have maintenance too. the air stones will plug up over time and need to be replaced. I would also wonder about the noise that the air pump makes, some are quiet and others are not. another possible issue is air pump failure, if it quits working the air line can become a siphon and drain water out depending on its location. all of that is based on old simple air stone skimmers and I am going to go look at the link from Charlie to see what his looks like now.
    sorry for the late response. I know you'll make a good decision and figure out the maintenance you need to do regardless of the type skimmer you get.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information