Marine Depot <----> Premium Aquatics
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Biopellet reactor - Yes or NO???

Hermit Crab

Biopellet reactor - Yes or NO???

I'm planning an upgrade in 2014 and have never used or found interest in biopellets before. After some recent research online and discussions with fellow reefers, the benefits of using biopellets now seem rather intriguing. I'm currently running a 40B with 2" sand in the display and a 4" DSB in the sump/fuge with chaeto/caulerpa. I also house my skimmer and phosban reactor in the sump as well. I have no nitrates issues whatsoever even with overfeeding and phosphates are also in check. For the 125 gallon reef upgrade, I'm now wondering about eventually ditching the macro and DSB from the sump and focus mainly on the biopellet reactor, skimmer, and LR for filtration. I'm also planning on using chemi-pure elite as needed, but I'm not sure If I should also have a separate phosban reactor in addition to the biopellets? Looking to see what peoples thoughts are on this matter. Any info or help would be greatly appreciated.

Surgeonfish
    Quote Originally Posted by BEAU_RN View Post
    I have no nitrates issues whatsoever even with overfeeding and phosphates are also in check..

So why do you want to change?

If it ain't broke............................................. ..................

Sea Urchin
    Quote Originally Posted by mfinn View Post
    So why do you want to change?

If it ain't broke............................................. ..................
    .............don't fix it!

Sent from my iPhone 4s via Tapatalk.
    Hidden Content There is nothing like being a Reefer Hidden Content

Hermit Crab

LOL. While I am reluctant to switch to a biopellet reactor, I'm trying to use a smaller sump for the upgrade with no space for adequate macro and simply explore other methods of reef filtration. Good point tho!

Hermit Crab

My current upgrade plans does have a large sump and a remote fuge with tons of macro.

Surgeonfish
    Quote Originally Posted by BEAU_RN View Post
    LOL. While I am reluctant to switch to a biopellet reactor, I'm trying to use a smaller sump for the upgrade with no space for adequate macro and simply explore other methods of reef filtration. Good point tho!

Another question,,,,,,,,,
    why go smaller on a sump?
    IMO bigger is always better.

RF Staff
    If you set this up correctly, you should not have a need for chemi-pure at all. To me the words chemi pure should not be in your planning at all.

• Go big on sump with properly sized skimmer (meaning get a skimmer that is rated for at least 200 gallons more if fish bio load is heavy)..IMO the skimmer is the brain of the tank, you go cheap and under skim, your system will suffer (with nuisance alage, increased levels of nitrates and PO4, etc.)
    • Add fuge with plenty of macro
    • Make sure you have plenty of circulation

If space is an issue and you can't go big on sump, you still want to get a good quality skimmer as mentioned in bullet number 1.
    Check out my 375 gallon tank pics: Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    UN: guest
    Pwd: password

Hidden Content

Hermit Crab

Quote Originally Posted by mfinn View Post
    Another question,,,,,,,,,
    why go smaller on a sump?
    IMO bigger is always better.
    Well, by smaller I meant downsizing from the original sump/fuge plans of about 3 40B tanks linked together down to only 2... But yea I agree on bigger is better for sumps

Hermit Crab

Quote Originally Posted by NC2WA View Post
    If you set this up correctly, you should not have a need for chemi-pure at all. To me the words chemi pure should not be in your planning at all.

• Go big on sump with properly sized skimmer (meaning get a skimmer that is rated for at least 200 gallons more if fish bio load is heavy)..IMO the skimmer is the brain of the tank, you go cheap and under skim, your system will suffer (with nuisance alage, increased levels of nitrates and PO4, etc.)
    • Add fuge with plenty of macro
    • Make sure you have plenty of circulation

If space is an issue and you can't go big on sump, you still want to get a good quality skimmer as mentioned in bullet number 1.
    Yea so my current 40B reef system setup is exactly all that you've said above. This method is what I'm looking to continue only in a much larger application either 125 or maybe a 180 display plus sumps. Simply trying to see if maybe adding a biopellet reactors to my current methods would be doable since I do like the idea that the byproduct of biopellets provides food for the corals continuously. Kinda getting the feeling so far that people have mixed feeling on the benefits or use of biopellets so far.

Hermit Crab

I do appreciate the feedback so far though guys.. thanks!

RF Staff
    Beau

Fwiw I run a biopellet reactor.

The only reason I do is I have a high fish bio load

I think biopellets are like UV..Either u like them or you don't

I like and run both on my system

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hermit Crab

Hmmm, I do plan on having a high fish bioload with heavy feeding, but good insights.

RF Staff
    Then make sure you ger a really good skimmer..basically buy the best darn skimmer your budget can afford

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hermit Crab

Quote Originally Posted by NC2WA View Post
    Then make sure you ger a really good skimmer..basically buy the best darn skimmer your budget can afford
    Yea I'm with you there. Looking to get the new reef octopus dcs170 or dcs200 with dc pump. Lots of $$$ indeed, but I def like the dc pump and controller functions.

New Forum member!
    hey I was wondering where in your line of filtration do you put your UV when also using a biopellet reactor?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information