Marine Depot <----> Clear Fabrications
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Most cost-effective tests?

RF Staff
    pixie,

agreed on the calcium comment..i own the calcium checker and the steps are just as numerous, not a fan of it..

hahahahahah on the tanks...it adds up fast...I was up to 6 QT tanks, then I started popping fuses. that is when i said OK enuff and down-sized and had a electrician install another 20amp outlet
    Check out my 375 gallon tank pics: Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    UN: guest
    Pwd: password

Hidden Content

Amphipod

LOL downsized to what?

I totally see the benefit in having your frag tank in-line with your main system now, but that doesn't work in the nano world so well, and my house isn't equipped for a fish-room.

I do additionally have a QT tank that isn't set up yet, but at some point in my future it'll be back up for a while as I will eventually replace losses caused by a partial tank melt-down a week ago caused by me being stupid (first crash in my 2.5 years so that's something, but ouch!)

RF Staff
    i have the hanna for alk, phos and cal. the calcium is just as many steps, and i wasn't able to make it reliable YMMV.
    i really like the new red seak kits. they come with 'equipment', so that the vial screws on to a handle and the syringe sits in it. i always feel like i'm one hand short when testing.. the red sea kits solves that. (i have the three pack, but only really use the cal)
    -Stacey
    30 gallon nem tank /60 gallon softie tank/75 mixed reef /5 gallon pico (work tank)
    Hidden Content

Amphipod

Stacey, how do you like the Hanna for alk?

I haven't tried the Red Sea tests; do they give you accurate enough results?

RF Staff
    i love the hanna checkers for both phos and alk.
    side by side with other tests (sailifert for cal, hanna for alk, elos for mg) i'm getting consistent results with red sea. you do have to keep in mind there was a recall though, so, its worthwhile to make sure the lot number you buy/recieve isn't on the list.
    honestly what i really like is feeling like i'm not going to spill or shake with the red sea kits. and i have trouble with the sailifert cal trying to get 8 drops.. my hands either over squeeze or under squeeze, lol

editing to add:woohoo! i just made hermit crab!
    -Stacey
    30 gallon nem tank /60 gallon softie tank/75 mixed reef /5 gallon pico (work tank)
    Hidden Content

RF Staff
    Pixie,

i downsized to 3 QTs (55, 55, and 75g)..they are NOT inline with my main tank..they are separate but since all the equipment to do WC is in the garage, there is no excuse in doing water changes.

you are welcome to stop by and see my setup anytime..let me know..
    Kirk

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hermit Crab

Quote Originally Posted by NC2WA View Post
    zoysn,

you will love it..i love mine..
    ...I love it.

SO EASY to use!! (I got a funnel to help transfer the reagent to the cuvette.. I tend to be clumsy and spill a lot.)

Copepod
    One thing I haven't seen mentioned and I think makes a difference is consistency. In how you test and what you use. API, to salifert, to elos could all read different. If you are in the acceptable range with any test stick with it. Don't switch it up constantly. If you like a certain brand for a certain test stick with it as another brand could give a wildly different number. Also the test needs to be performed the same each time, filled correctly with water and chemicals, then given the proper amount of time to work.

Only time I use different test kits around the same time is for comparison, and hey have yet to give me the same numbers.

One last thought, expiration dates. Those regeants don't have a shelf life of 100 years, and they are generally around large amounts of water. How quickly can they fail and give eronious readings?

Copepod
    http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog...ium-parameters

Maybe not the most cost effective off the bat, but it would be so cool!

RF Staff
    Also the test needs to be performed the same each time, filled correctly with water and chemicals, then given the proper amount of time to work
    excellent point...

I tend to test my parameters around 3-4 pm after my lights have been on for several hours...

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information