Premium Aquatics <----> Marine Depot

Thread: What's the pH in your reef..?

Hermit Crab

What's the pH in your reef..?

Hi,

I know that the usual goal for pH in home reef tanks are between 8.1 to 8.3, but what I'm wondering is how high people have successfully kept their reef pH's at. My pH generally runs between 8.22 to 8.35 or so, but lately it's been around 8.39 to 8.43 on average for nights and days. The tank's primary additive is kalkwasser since fall 2012 in addition to other major/trace elements as needed. Between the fish and corals (SPS/LPS mainly) all the livestock in the tank are doing great. So I wanna just keep an eye and see what happens since the increase didn't happen drastically in days but more like a few months. I have a pH probe & also a pH pen that's both freshly recalibrated and they both essentially show the same results. Hoping to get some insight on fellow reefers thoughts and experiences.

Current parameters
    Mg - 1400ppm
    KH - 9.8 dKH
    Ca - 450ppm
    SG - 1.024
    Temp - 78.7F
    pH - 8.41

Thanks in advance,
    Fred

Sea Urchin
    Almost 5yrs reefing and I can count on 2 hands how many times I've actually tested my PH. Not a number I really worry about.

Sent from my iPhone 4s via Tapatalk.
    Hidden Content There is nothing like being a Reefer Hidden Content

Surgeonfish
    Not a test I do either.
    Never have tested the ph in my 240 and only tested the ph in my 50 twice in 2 years.
    Both times it was 8.0

Hermit Crab
    I'm with them, I tested my ph after cycling, then again two years later, I haven't tested since then

Sent from my HTC Vivid using Tapatalk 2

want more mini maxi

i just got a apex neptune controller. it reads my ph every day all day long. pretty cool. it even logs it every 10 minutes. right now my ph reads 8.21. my main lights are off right now. sump lights on. when my main lights turn on my ph will jump back to 8.3.

Hermit Crab

Quote Originally Posted by reefman069 View Post
    i just got a apex neptune controller. it reads my ph every day all day long. pretty cool. it even logs it every 10 minutes. right now my ph reads 8.21. my main lights are off right now. sump lights on. when my main lights turn on my ph will jump back to 8.3.
    Well... I don't really test my pH other than what my AC jr controller pH shows, but simply curious. Thanks tho guys!

Surgeonfish
    I suppose if I did have a controller, I would check it out, pay attention to it.

RF Staff
    Mine is between 8.1-8.25.

I have a RKE that gives me a reading, but I also have a pH Pinpoint monitor that I use for redundancy.
    Check out my 375 gallon tank pics: Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    UN: guest
    Pwd: password

Hidden Content

Fish Tank Freak
    Quote Originally Posted by BEAU_RN View Post
    Well... I don't really test my pH other than what my AC jr controller pH shows, but simply curious. Thanks tho guys!
    When was the last time you calibrated your probe? IMO the older Neptune's are notorious for straying from true readings after about six months or so.

Also, I was just reading something about probes only having a life expectancy of 2-3 years.

My AC III has been reading 7.3- 7.5 all year and I really know that's not the case. My corals hare happy and as long as I don't come home to the tank looking bad and the probe reading something way different I know that my Ph is normal. Last night I cross reference with my Milwaukee probe and I know normal is about 8.1 give or take.

RF Staff
    +1 what Duane said.

I calibrated my temp probe to my RKE every 4-6 months, and my pinpoint probe every 1-2 months..
    Check out my 375 gallon tank pics: Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    UN: guest
    Pwd: password

Hidden Content

Hermit Crab

Quote Originally Posted by NC2WA View Post
    Mine is between 8.1-8.25.

I have a RKE that gives me a reading, but I also have a pH Pinpoint monitor that I use for redundancy.
    Agreed!!! I do the same thing Redundancy is key lol

Hermit Crab

Quote Originally Posted by trido View Post
    When was the last time you calibrated your probe? IMO the older Neptune's are notorious for straying from true readings after about six months or so.

Also, I was just reading something about probes only having a life expectancy of 2-3 years.

My AC III has been reading 7.3- 7.5 all year and I really know that's not the case. My corals hare happy and as long as I don't come home to the tank looking bad and the probe reading something way different I know that my Ph is normal. Last night I cross reference with my Milwaukee probe and I know normal is about 8.1 give or take.
    Quote Originally Posted by NC2WA View Post
    +1 what Duane said.

I calibrated my temp probe to my RKE every 4-6 months, and my pinpoint probe every 1-2 months..
    I plan on doing exactly that guys. I did recalibrate the AC jr pH probe twice prior to use and my pH pen was freshly recalibrated to compare and both showing similar results. I'll just let it ride since all is well inside the tank and numbers are just numbers, but livestock health & happiness show even more about tank stability.

RF Staff
    Your issue Beau is you kept letting your pH climb with that Calcium and Alk you will come home some day and see a snow storm in your tank. You are already at a Ω 6, which means you more likely could get abiotic precipitation.
    Boomer

Want to Talk Chemistry ! Hidden Content

Want to See More !

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

If you See Me Running You Better Catch-Up

An explosion can be defined as a loud noise, accompanied by the sudden going away of things, from a place where they use to be.

Thread Information