BarrierReef <----> Sierra Fish & Pets
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zoas, palys, or mojanos?

Hermit Crab

Zoas, palys, or mojanos?

I received a rock about a month ago and noticed about 5+ of these guys, well now there are 25+. This extremely fast growth and the spikey skirts make me wonder if they could be something bad? What do you guys think?

Sent from my HTC Vivid using Tapatalk 2

Hermit Crab
    On a separate subject, these guys are also puzzling me, they possibly look like small barnacles to me. They open and close maybe twice a minute. I can only see them in the morning before the zoas open up and cover them.

RF Staff
    first look like majanos to me. (kalk paste will kill them)
    i can't see well enough to guess on the second picture. can you try taking a pic with the flash? tends to help (for me) when pics are blurry and hard to get to at least get more light that just the blues..
    -Stacey
    30 gallon nem tank /60 gallon softie tank/75 mixed reef /5 gallon pico (work tank)
    Hidden Content

Surgeonfish
    the top ones I would guess as a paly or proto-paly.
    can turn into a nightmare plague IMO.

not majano

RF Staff
    hmm... maybe i have my terms mixed... of course, seems either way they are bad...
    someone told me once you could id them by counting tentacles... i don't remember enough detail to have that be useful for anymore than a google search on the subject though...
    -Stacey
    30 gallon nem tank /60 gallon softie tank/75 mixed reef /5 gallon pico (work tank)
    Hidden Content

RF Staff

the first pic is a paly. pretty common one. and yes they multiply quickly. if you can seperate the rock from the others, they wont spread off the rock. the other pic with the zoas. does anything come out of those in question? long stringy things or shorter feathery like things?

RF Staff
    for my education would you guys mind noting how you determined these to be paly's? i'm not arguing i'm right, generally i'm not right it would be helpful (for me at least) to learn how you discern them though....
    -Stacey
    Hidden Content

RF Staff

Quote Originally Posted by spieszak View Post
    for my education would you guys mind noting how you determined these to be paly's? i'm not arguing i'm right, generally i'm not right it would be helpful (for me at least) to learn how you discern them though....
    http://www.saltyunderground.com/arti...articles_id=52

RF Staff
    sweet, thanks! i don't have time to go through it right now, but a quick review shows it should totally answer my question...
    -Stacey
    Hidden Content

Fish Tank Freak
    Quote Originally Posted by xxkenny90xx View Post
    I received a rock about a month ago and noticed about 5+ of these guys, well now there are 25+. This extremely fast growth and the spikey skirts make me wonder if they could be something bad? What do you guys think?

Unless you think its totally awesome, anything that grows super fast is bad. Those look like Paly's.

Hermit Crab
    Quote Originally Posted by IPisces View Post
    the first pic is a paly. pretty common one. and yes they multiply quickly. if you can seperate the rock from the others, they wont spread off the rock. the other pic with the zoas. does anything come out of those in question? long stringy things or shorter feathery like things?
    Thanks guys, sorry my phone won't give me a better pic than that. I guess I will try to chip off rock under the palys and glue them to a small lone rock on the sand. And no, nothing comes out of the things from the second pic so I doubt their actually barnacles, that's just what they kinda look like.

RF Staff

Quote Originally Posted by trido View Post
    Unless you think its totally awesome, anything that grows super fast is bad. Those look like Paly's.
    Aww, no...I think they are awsome. some of them anyway!

There are a lot of coral that will grow very quickly and to some will be considered pests.
    mushrooms, green star polyps, xenia, most soft coral and most protopalythoas.
    but some of them are very pretty and thats what some people like. Just need to know how to control them.
    Research coral before you get it if you are worried about its growing habbit.

Hermit Crab
    If this helps at all the barnacle looking things are connected by a soft black mat and they don't bother the zoas at all. In the pic one is open and one is closed

RF Staff

Quote Originally Posted by xxkenny90xx View Post
    If this helps at all the barnacle looking things are connected by a soft black mat and they don't bother the zoas at all. In the pic one is open and one is closed

Hmm, pretty cool. could be a sponge of some kind. are they hard or soft to the touch?

Hermit Crab
    I believe they are hard, I'll have to check that out tonight. btw great link but it did confuse me a little bit because I am unfamiliar with the term phytopalys??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information