Sierra Fish & Pets <----> Marine Depot
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So you wanna start a Coldwater tank?

Catalina goby
    Oops sorry I've been out and about for the last week or more. But you don't really need to wait if you have intertidal critters at all. I add critters the same day. Most intertidal stuff isn't like wimpy tropical stock. My salinity is around 1.022 but it can fluctuate no problem. I get my water from the sound or the Seattle aquarium so it has all the good stuff in it.

Rachel
    Whats the best way to Cycle a Cold Water tank? I have finally been given the go ahead to get a tank up and running. My water will be straight out of the sound, and I have the ability to change water every day if needed. I know cycling takes significantly longer in coldwater.
    I glue animals to rocks.
    Home is where your tank is...

Catalina goby
    Woo hoo congrats!!! What has helped me cycle my tanks quickly has been sand beds, and bottled beneficial bacteria. Plus frequent water changes using natural seawater will help. I also believe that my foam rock wall with is super porace structure helps house lots of bb. I also have 5 gallons of bio balls that, I doused with a gel style bb, in a flow through area in my sump. Oh and I swear by chemi pure while cycling coldwater. Are you using hobby size tanks.

RF STAFF
    First cold water tank I've ever seen was one Steve Weast (sp) had and posted pictures of here. Fish were really cool with bright colors. Heard that the cold water tanks don't have as much issues with algae etc, but never dug too deep into it. It use to be a challenge to keep my tank stable around 78F to go and try and shoot for something colder lol
    Hidden Content

Come Join Us
    Hidden Content

Have you helped a fellow reefer today??

Rachel
    Quote Originally Posted by NemCrazy View Post
    : Are you using hobby size tanks.
    Yes, right now we are only attempting a 55 gallon. We were given a brand new tank that was supposed to be used for salmon rearing. Until the spring when we can get eggs to rear, I think I am going to do saltwater with species found off our dock. Namely tubesnouts, perch, and juvenile salmon.
    I glue animals to rocks.
    Home is where your tank is...

Catalina goby
    That would be an awesome setup! What are you thinking of using for structure? Perch scream for structure, like scallop strands or pilings. Tubesnouts and juvenile salmon would be awesome in a grass bed. Either way your up and running and that's awesome

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information